Was ready to buy

/ Was ready to buy #121  
I felt that way but my credit card company, which I used to make the deposit, agreed with the dealer. They denied my protest.

Now part of the rest of the story comes out a week later. I'm sure your aware that credit card processing fees could easily total $100 for a credit and return of $2000 or more. Credit cards are not free imaginary money. Your reward points come from somewhere, it is expensive for the retailer to accept credit cards. I'm not on your side, and I don't even have to hear anymore of the details.

/ Was ready to buy #122  
Now part of the rest of the story comes out a week later. I'm sure your aware that credit card processing fees could easily total $100 for a credit and return of $2000 or more. Credit cards are not free imaginary money. Your reward points come from somewhere, it is expensive for the retailer to accept credit cards. I'm not on your side, and I don't even have to hear anymore of the details.
Yes, there is always "the rest of the Story" :laughing:

It cost the dealer around 3% to take the credit card...

/ Was ready to buy #123  

But it being a deposit may not have even been processed, just a "hold" put against his available credit, much the way that rental car companies do sometimes.

/ Was ready to buy #124  

You don't know how much the deposit was, whether it was ever processed (deposits often aren't), but you're not on his side, and don't want to hear any more details....nice, very objective. I'd be surprised if the deposit was the $3300 or so it would require to cost the dealer $100, but that actually doesn't matter at all.

The dealer takes the risk when they accept a deposit, and don't have the machine to sell....not the buyer. If they're selling something, and can't produce, it shouldn't financially harm the buyer, who has no way of knowing the dealer won't fulfill their end of the deal.

Further, the dealer told him it was to pay the salesman for writing up the order NOT to cover the credit card processing fees....guess you missed that fact?

/ Was ready to buy #125  
But it being a deposit may not have even been processed, just a "hold" put against his available credit, much the way that rental car companies do sometimes.

Very true, but it shouldn't matter. The dealer accepted a deposit for a product they didn't have. The buyer has no way of knowing they won't fulfill their end of the deal, and shouldn't be financially harmed because of their negligence.

In order to be able to keep the deposit, the dealer should have had him sign something acknowledging that it was non-refundable.....

/ Was ready to buy #126  

If the dealer thought it too costly to pay the processing fee on a $2000+ hold then he should have insisted on a check or cash. Or he should have just held the tractor without a deposit if he didn't want to mess around with a credit card for a deposit. My dealer held my Powerstar and Alamo mower, to the tune of over $55,000, for over a week for me. I offered to drive out and give him $1000 cash but he wouldn't have it. That's what a good dealer does. Charging a fee for accepting a credit card payment of any kind is a violation of the terms of accepting a credit card from any company. It's too bad that the dealer may have had to eat $100 but that's the cost of doing business. Unless there was a contract that said the $100 deposit was non refundable I'd be filing a complaint with my state's Attorney General.

/ Was ready to buy #127  
I'm not taking the dealer's side. If I were a dealer, I'd never keep a deposit on a deal that didn't go through.

But, there is always three sides to every story. ;)

/ Was ready to buy #128  
Get a hold of your state AG and the BBB. File a complaint online with both of them.

/ Was ready to buy #129  
I am in the business of helping local businesses with their online reputations, these days a few bad reviews go a long way in a person's decision to buy something. If you have exhausted all avenues, at least go online and leave a bad review for all future customers to see.

/ Was ready to buy #130  
?? what do credit card fees have to do with the dealership not being able to fulfill their end of the agreement. The dealership should foot all fees if the problems were on their side. If this happened to me i would definitely go and call JD offices and lodge complaint. Forget using a lawyer, the fees would kill you. And the fact that the credit card company wont allow a refund tells me something else is in play here that were not being told about. I have had several complaints filed with my credit card company over the years, and i have 100% ALWAYS come out on top with full refund to my card. When the dealership didnt fulfill their end of the agreement, i got all my $$ back.