Was ready to buy

/ Was ready to buy #31  
I had the same experiance with my JD and NH dealer here in western Washington. I decieded to go orange due to customer service.

/ Was ready to buy #32  
Why the sudden change from a 4,200lb 2WD machine (5045D) to a 2,200lb 4WD machine like the 3038E? That's a pretty big change.

For the $21K you mentioned they wanted for the used 3520 you could buy a lot more capability, plus warranty, in a new tractor from other brands....way more actually.

One major downside to the Deere 3032E and 3038E is that they only have a 2-range transmission. That doesn't seem like a big deal until you start using them seriously.

I've never operated a 2 range HST, but I probably wouldn't like it. I spend most of my time in "B" range, so I would probably be either racing the engine in low range, or lugging it in high range.
Of the latest choices that the OP put forth, I would lean to the last one...the 3520 with 150 hours. But, I personally prefer the wider, heavier, all steel 4x20's.

/ Was ready to buy #33  
Your lucky! It drives me nuts when salesmen come running at you like vultures. If I need a salesmen, I'll find one. Until then leave me alone.

I agree, although it would be nice if they acknowledge your presence -- that's just common courtesy!

/ Was ready to buy #34  
I've casually looked at Kioti and LS but their dealer support here is a bit scarce.
LS may have fewer dealers but I would bet that you would get better service and attitude from them than you are getting from the Kubota and JD dealer. Around here, Kioti dealers are scarce also. I went back to my dealer twice in 2 years for parts> Once for warranty work and once for filters and a drawbar attachment and pin that I had broke yanking on a fully loaded dump truck that was stuck. Dealer checked and the parts were also warranted so that saved me a couple hundred plus I got a complete newly designed drawbar support in the deal. I couldn't ask for better service from my dealer albeit he is 50 miles away. No tractor dealers are less than 28 miles (Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland) and closest JD dealer is about 60 miles from me.

/ Was ready to buy #35  
LS may have fewer dealers but I would bet that you would get better service and attitude from them than you are getting from the Kubota and JD dealer. Around here, Kioti dealers are scarce also. I went back to my dealer twice in 2 years for parts> Once for warranty work and once for filters and a drawbar attachment and pin that I had broke yanking on a fully loaded dump truck that was stuck. Dealer checked and the parts were also warranted so that saved me a couple hundred plus I got a complete newly designed drawbar support in the deal. I couldn't ask for better service from my dealer albeit he is 50 miles away. No tractor dealers are less than 28 miles (Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland) and closest JD dealer is about 60 miles from me.
He didn't say he had any issues with a Kubota dealer, just JD and NH...

/ Was ready to buy #36  
Yeah I know that's a big change but as I was looking and talking to the sales guys I realized it was probably overkill. I have 14 acres with about eight acres in pasture and the rest wooded. Primary uses would be brush hogging, leveling, post holes and building structures.

I have a GT235 that's been bulletproof so that's one of the things that pulls me that way. What other brands would you suggest? I've casually looked at Kioti and LS but their dealer support here is a bit scarce.

Without seeing your land, and specific uses, it would be hard for anyone to really do a fair assessment of your needs (not saying the dealers are wrong, and all of us here are included in this). I have 15 acres now, that might grow to 55 eventually, and it's broken out similarly to what you describe. I've got a 5,000+lb 4wd tractor (counting FEL), and a 4,200lb 2wd tractor, and they absolutely aren't overkill. I've been clearing trees, brush hogging, box blading, moving dirt, etc, and there have been many times I max the capability they have. I could easily go one or two steps bigger, and be happy. People joke that tractors shrink when you get them home, and I have to agree. Many people here report picking the perfect size, and a year later trade up a size....very common, and can be an expensive lesson.

Obviously, I'm very happy with my LS (you can actually get parts or warranty work at any NH or Case dealer, warranty requires LS approval), but almost bought a Kioti....both great machines. For the same money you'd be getting double the FEL capability (more actually), and a nice jump in PTO power that would let you run bigger implements....along with a lot more weight, which equals traction, which would be much better for ground engaging implements.

The new Massey 1635 would be very similar to the Deere and Kubotas you're considering, and the prices seem to be a reasonable amount lower....from what ive seen, the reports are positive on them.

/ Was ready to buy
Without seeing your land, and specific uses, it would be hard for anyone to really do a fair assessment of your needs (not saying the dealers are wrong, and all of us here are included in this). I have 15 acres now, that might grow to 55 eventually, and it's broken out similarly to what you describe. I've got a 5,000+lb 4wd tractor (counting FEL), and a 4,200lb 2wd tractor, and they absolutely aren't overkill. I've been clearing trees, brush hogging, box blading, moving dirt, etc, and there have been many times I max the capability they have. I could easily go one or two steps bigger, and be happy. People joke that tractors shrink when you get them home, and I have to agree. Many people here report picking the perfect size, and a year later trade up a size....very common, and can be an expensive lesson.

Obviously, I'm very happy with my LS (you can actually get parts or warranty work at any NH or Case dealer, warranty requires LS approval), but almost bought a Kioti....both great machines. For the same money you'd be getting double the FEL capability (more actually), and a nice jump in PTO power that would let you run bigger implements....along with a lot more weight, which equals traction, which would be much better for ground engaging implements.

The new Massey 1635 would be very similar to the Deere and Kubotas you're considering, and the prices seem to be a reasonable amount lower....from what ive seen, the reports are positive on them.

You make a great point. We're eyeing 25 acres next to us as soon as they are ready to sell.

Maybe I'll take a closer look LS and also the JD 5045 again. I thought I was close to making a decision but this can be mind boggling. Any stickies on buying your first tractor?

/ Was ready to buy #38  
One thing to consider is the standard L series Kubota is not quite the machine as that used 3520. You are comparing a standard tractor to a more deluxe tractor, with more features.. You did not mention which loader the 3520 had on it. In april 2012 I gave 19,300 for a new Kioti DK35se hydro with loader.. It is far more tractor than either of the Kubota's you mentioned. It is in a totally separate class. Comparable to that JD. In my opinion, if you are settled on the Kubota, you need either quite a bit of money knocked off, or quite a bit of other things thrown in. All I am saying is compare all of the features side by side. Do a lot of research before you lay down your hard earned.

/ Was ready to buy #39  
You make a great point. We're eyeing 25 acres next to us as soon as they are ready to sell.

Maybe I'll take a closer look LS and also the JD 5045 again. I thought I was close to making a decision but this can be mind boggling. Any stickies on buying your first tractor?

You might consider looking at a Kubota MX5100 as well...if only as a comparison point. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as a Grand L, but it's a lot more affordable, and would generally compare to something like the 5045...it's a bit lighter, has a bit more PTO power, similar 3pt lift, and either the same, or a bit less loader power (depends which loader on the Deere).

If you got some seat time on a 5045, an MX5100, maybe a Kioti DK45SE and an LS R4047, you'd have a good cross section of machines to choose from that all should do the typical kinds of tasks you're talking about. They're all in the ballpark of 4,000lbs (give or take a couple hundred) without the loader, can lift 2,500Lbs+ on the 3pt, have 3-range hydro available, and can lift over 2,000lbs on the FEL (measured at the pin). Most of the rest falls into details, or intangibles....some will matter a lot to me, but not at all to you, and vice-versa. In reality, you haven't mentioned a single bad machine in the whole thread...assuming the used ones don't have hidden issues.

I don't know about any stickies on buying new machines, but that's not a bad idea!

/ Was ready to buy #40  
This is a pretty interesting thread. I have had similar bad experiences at car dealerships in my area, The local Chevy dealer only employs lying crack weasels for salesman as far as I can see. But when shopping for tractors I found none of that. Every salesroom of every brand was staffed with polite, attentive and for the most part knowledgeable people who had time to work with me. The tractors themselves made my decision for me and the dealer that knew how to hook up and deliver a third function loader without Goggling it got the nod over the other dealers of the same brand.
As to your choices I have to ask how much more would a 5045E be over the 5045D you have looked at? I can't imagine a 5045E with a 553 loader not being completely satisfactory for your needs and be worth almost as much when you are done with it as you paid for it.