Was ready to buy

/ Was ready to buy
This is a pretty interesting thread. I have had similar bad experiences at car dealerships in my area, The local Chevy dealer only employs lying crack weasels for salesman as far as I can see. But when shopping for tractors I found none of that. Every salesroom of every brand was staffed with polite, attentive and for the most part knowledgeable people who had time to work with me. The tractors themselves made my decision for me and the dealer that knew how to hook up and deliver a third function loader without Goggling it got the nod over the other dealers of the same brand.
As to your choices I have to ask how much more would a 5045E be over the 5045D you have looked at? I can't imagine a 5045E with a 553 loader not being completely satisfactory for your needs and be worth almost as much when you are done with it as you paid for it.

Looking at the MSRP it's about a $6k difference between the D and E. Only difference I see is 2wd vs 4wd. I don't think I need 4wd so I think I may give the D another look.

/ Was ready to buy #42  
Looking at the MSRP it's about a $6k difference between the D and E. Only difference I see is 2wd vs 4wd. I don't think I need 4wd so I think I may give the D another look.
That is a huge difference to me but I work mine on timber covered hills and plow snow off ice covered roads with fifteen percent grades. On the other hand being in OK you have differnt requirements. The only time you might miss 4WD is digging into a pile with the loader. It's nice having the front tires help push the blade into a bucket full and to then back up out of a slippery pit.
Best of luck in your search, looking forward to the pics of your delivered final choice.

/ Was ready to buy #43  

Oh really. You never need 4wd till you need it. This isn't meant as a smart a** comment just opinion. I never thought I needed 4wd either till I had it now I don't know what I would do without it! In any event if you do go with a 2wd unit it should have R1's especially if you have a loader, like I said this is just an opinion.

/ Was ready to buy #44  
Oh really. You never need 4wd till you need it. This isn't meant as a smart a** comment just opinion. I never thought I needed 4wd either till I had it now I don't know what I would do without it! In any event if you do go with a 2wd unit it should have R1's especially if you have a loader, like I said this is just an opinion.
Yep. 4wd would also make it much easier to sell down the road if you need to do that.

Aaron Z

/ Was ready to buy #45  
I'd go 2wd only if it was a heavy tractor and I was going to use it only for mowing.

FEL is not so great on a 2wd tractor. Yes, I've owned one and it was useful, but very limited!

4WD was by far the best thing to ever happen to the small tractor market... :cool:

/ Was ready to buy #46  
I'd go 2wd only if it was a heavy tractor and I was going to use it only for mowing.

FEL is not so great on a 2wd tractor. Yes, I've owned one and it was useful, but very limited!

4WD was by far the best thing to ever happen to the small tractor market... :cool:

I would agree with this, As my first tractor was a larger Utility tractor in 2wd with a loader. I would recommend you have loaded tires, good ballast on the rear, AG (R1) tires and stay on flat ground:) Large 2WD tractors with loaders are useful, but sure as heck not as useful as the same tractor with 4WD. Pushing into the pile is never as good as with a 4WD tractor as you start to "unload" the rear tires with lifting the bucket, just at the exact time you need the traction of the rear tires the most. In other words the bigger/better "bite" you get, the worse off you are going to be. So bottom line, yep 2WD, doable, but you will kick your own rear every time you get stuck. :D

James K0UA

/ Was ready to buy #47  
John Deere dealers are like Harley Davidson dealers. And HD is short for, hundred dollars.
If you don't walk in waving a lot of green, the Green ain't gonna pay no attention to you.

/ Was ready to buy
I would agree with this, As my first tractor was a larger Utility tractor in 2wd with a loader. I would recommend you have loaded tires, good ballast on the rear, AG (R1) tires and stay on flat ground:) Large 2WD tractors with loaders are useful, but sure as heck not as useful as the same tractor with 4WD. Pushing into the pile is never as good as with a 4WD tractor as you start to "unload" the rear tires with lifting the bucket, just at the exact time you need the traction of the rear tires the most. In other words the bigger/better "bite" you get, the worse off you are going to be. So bottom line, yep 2WD, doable, but you will kick your own rear every time you get stuck. :D

James K0UA

I'm still undecided on how much I'd really use a bucket however I think I would use a grapple a lot. Which brings me to this question. Can a JD 303x run a grapple well? I'm a little worried about it's lift capacity.

/ Was ready to buy #49  
I'm still undecided on how much I'd really use a bucket however I think I would use a grapple a lot. Which brings me to this question. Can a JD 303x run a grapple well? I'm a little worried about it's lift capacity.

I would be capable of doing useful work with a lightweight grapple, like the one I have the EA wicked single lid grapple or something small like that. But I am no fan of the 3032 or 3038 tractors. At the risk of making one of those owners angry, which is certainly not my goal. I feel there are much more full featured tractors with better specs available for the same or less money. These tractors are made to a price point to compete with other brands, but I feel too many things have been left off or substituted on these models. You Mileage May Vary (YMMV):)

James K0UA