Buying Advice New to tractors - help me decide what to get

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #1  

mcp1

Tractor
none yet - help me decide!
Hi folks :D

New to the board here, looking for some advice. I am in the research phase, looking for a new (or barely used) mid size 4wd. It will be used for 1/2mi driveway maintenance and snow removal, several acres of mowing a few times a year (non-yard), and a little woods work (firewood, logging roads, etc). I'm just a homeowner - our property is about 100ac (mostly woods), so no commercial use. Probably 100hrs max in a year, if that.

So far I've been reading alot, and talked to a few folks that I know that own tractors. Here is what I think I need. Mid sized unit - 35-40hp, HST, 4wd, loader with QA bucket, and hydraulic hookups for skid steer attachments. The two implements I know I need right now are a rear scraper blade, and a rotary cutter.

So, I'd love some advice and opinions on what to look at. I've been researching the L3800 HST Kubota, seems like it will fit the bill nicely. Price is good locally on this tractor. Only drawback is the potential jerky 3pt issues I've read about, and not having as many options std - which drives the price up a tad to get what I (think) I might need.

I'm a tractor newbie, never owned one and don't know what is good or not. I know a number of folks that have Kubota's and love them and praise them - I know they have a solid reputation, which is why I started there.

What other brands/models are comparable with the Kubota, that you might recommend I look at? Trying to stay under $24k out the door if possible, the Kubota fits the bill. Appreciate any advice, recommendations (good and bad), pros-cons, etc...you can give.

Thanks!
Mike

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #2  
What implement do you want to use for snow removal--front blade, rear blade, front blower, rear blower? The answer will go a long way toward sizing your tractor. If you select the front blower, you'll need to zero in on tractors that have enough hydraulic flow (gal/min) to run that blower and you'll need one set of front mounted hydraulic remotes. Otherwise, the specs you mentioned in your post are what you want.

Kubotas are nice. My first tractor was a new 2005 Kubota B7510 HST with the LA302 FEL. Excellent little tractor. My neighbor has an L4400 that purrs like a kitten. The 1/4 inching system on the B7510 3pt hitch didn't give me any problems. I don't know if that system is used on the larger Kubota tractors.

Good luck.

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get
Looking at using a rear blade along with the front bucket for snow removal. Would love to have a front mount blower, but reality is ... they are expensive and its not really needed. Very unlikely I'd ever get one. More of a chance I'd get a front blade...which I would prefer, but based on what I think I know...the rear blade is my best mulitple use option that won't break the bank.

We have big snows about every 4-5yrs here (2-3')... typically our snows are less than 12". I have used a skid steer (bucket) for the past 12yrs to clear snow, but we just sold it.

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #4  
I think your plan for snow removal will work fine. I did a lot of snow removal with a rear blade before I had a front loader. There were times when the loader would have come in handy. Its not a primary tool for snow removal as far as I'm concerned but great as an addition to a rear blade. With 4wd, weighted rear tires, you probably won't need chains for the rears. But chains won't break the bank either. I loaded my rear tires with Rimguard (beet juice based). It doesn't freeze and weighs more than water but I don't remember how many pounds or gallons I had put in.

Several folks on this forum have converted truck type snow blades to mount on their quick attach loaders. So that's a good future option, like you say, if you ever want or need it.

Yes, forgot to mention that - I plan on having loaded rear tires...R1's set all the way out. I don't think we'll need chains here, but like you said...they aren't that expensive if I ever do.

So what other tractors makes/models should I look into? thx

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #6  
Regarding other tractors, I don't have much experience with the size you are looking at or with brands other than Kubota and old vintage Fords. I suppose the other brands like John Deere, Mahindra, Kioti, New Holland. But as to comparable models, I hope others chime in soon.

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #7  
What brands do you have around you they are all pretty good anymore although my personal opinion would be to stay away from the Chinese ones but that is only my opinion. I would add LS and Case to the above list but if you don't have them around you that doesn't help.

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #8  
I have the Kubota L3800 and love it. I am not clear as to what your driveway is, but you mentioned maintenance and I did not know if you meant just snow removal or if it's gravel and needs periodic maintenance. Our neighborhood lane is over 1/3 mile long and I maintain it with my tractor and it is an easy chore with my 72" box blade. There's another implement people use like a landplane or something that they swear by. I haven't used one, but people with experience love them and it makes me want one. I watched a video a while back on Everything Attachments website with that implement and was really impressed. You can check there and watch videos of all kinds of implements and that should help you decide what you need (I mean want).

I also like my box blade for ballast. I have rear wheels filled and put box blade on and dug my own pond mostly with my loader (with toothbar). It's about 80' diammeter with deepest part about 8.5' deep. I maintain my ditches with it also. I use the box blade to make swales, level land, etc. I have some other property that I bush hog with this tractor. I have a reverse tine tiller that I use and also do other people's gardens for them. This tractor is excellent for every thing I've tried to do with it.

There are also other good brands and I wouldn't hesitate to check them out, but my Kubota is my only personal reference point aside from an old small Massey from way back that I use to help a buddy till with.

All that said, I have a total of 11 acres between my two properties. If I had 100 and wanted to do more farm type chores or turning woods into pasture, I would consider a larger machine. No complaints at all with mine, but bigger does more in a shorter period. Your listed desires though match very well with the L3800 though. I have not met any material yet that I can't lift a heaping bucket of. Loader is stout. Even with all my ballast I picked up one rock that is kind of flat shaped and was able to wedge enough into the bucket to be a little past the balance point. It was huge and very heavy. Tractor lifted it fine, but my rear was very light while I moved it to a rock pile 100' from where I dug it up. Wet red clay can be heaped into my bucket and it will lift fine.

Thanks for the info. Locally, (within 25-40 miles) we have dealers that offer Kubota, John Deere, Kioti, and New Holland. A little further 60-90miles I probably have every model ever made (northern VA area).

We have about 100ac, split in 3 sections (family members), and most of it is woods. Less than 5 ac total grass to mow, couple small field areas, and along the driveway. Our driveway is about 1/2mi total....gravel. Honestly, we don't have to do much work to it...just every now and then some grading and filling. We have always done it with our skid steer. Should easily be able to do it with a rear blade. Mostly snow removal is the big thing on the the driveway. We just recently sold our skid steer, and looking to replace it with the tractor.

My brother in law was able to purchase another skid steer - but it won't be kept here at our property all the time...maybe only half the time, thus we wanted to get a tractor to be here full time so we always have something to use when we need it.

Trying to learn as much as I can, (so we make the best decision we can) before we make the move.

/ New to tractors - help me decide what to get #10  
For me 60 plus miles is a bit far. I would shop smong the closer dealers or for a lighly used machine of the brand of the closer dealers. You might not need service or repair from the dealer for 2 or 3 years but you will want service psrts like filters and hydraulic oil and oarts when they break. I would check Craigslist for used equipment. Occasionaly you find someone who wants to get out from under the wrong purchase. I found my Kubota B2620 with only 115 hours saving several tjousand dollars.

the other hand some members here buy from big dealers 100s miles away and get it delivered. Messucd is one dealer thst I have heard mentioned often.