Tractor Sizing What size do I need?

/ What size do I need? #11  
As someone with some experience on "small" West Virginia hay fields I will agree you're looking at several times that $20k to get into haying your property with new hardware. Anything under 50HP we've used to run cutters and prep tools, to do the round bales it takes 70ish HP to manage the hills and a full baler, and then sometimes it is still a struggle. If you have really nice hay worth doing square bales, 50HP would be fine.

I think your deer food plot is a good idea. You might also do well to talk to others around you. Many times someone who needs the hay will come do the fields and take the hay and you don't need to worry about it.

/ What size do I need? #12  
I would get a ZTR mower for the lawn mowing. A 52-60" mower in commercial or near commercial grade will mow 3-5 acres per hour if the ground is smooth enough to run at full speed (HST Speed-engine should always be at full speed) I mow approximately 6 acres with my Ferris IS 700 with 52" deck in about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Cant run full speed due to ground being too rough.
Haying might be practical if the whole 102 acres was in grass, but even used equipment on 50 acres or less is too expensive to justify tying up $30K+ for a round baler, rake and cutter not to mention the tractor cost to pull it. New round baler, 70+ HP tractor, tedder, cutter> you are looking at close to $100K.

A 40 HP or thereabout is likely all you need to bush hog, pull out the occasional tree, move a round bale (after someone else cuts and bales) and do other miscellaneous chores. MY Brother in law routinely moves round bales and stacks them 2 high with a New Holland T2310 Boomer. I had to use my LS P7010 to get the 3rd level in place but 2 isn't a problem and 3 can be done if the bales are light like after setting for 6 months and drying out.
You may bust your $20k budget getting a commercial or heavy residential zero turn and a 40 hp tractor unless you go used on the tractor but it wont be by much. My Ferris was $6200 with taxes included so you would only have about $14K for the tractor and I think you would need at least $18K for a new one and to get 0% financing you will have to go with new. Many mower dealers are also offering 0% financing.

/ What size do I need? #13  
I agree with Gary on getting a real good mower as the first and highest priority. Your existing 4 acre lawn and the new place with 10 acres needs to be maintained first. Then take some time to figure out the rest of it.

/ What size do I need? #14  
I would get a ZTR mower for the lawn mowing. A 52-60" mower in commercial or near commercial grade will mow 3-5 acres per hour if the ground is smooth enough to run at full speed (HST Speed-engine should always be at full speed) I mow approximately 6 acres with my Ferris IS 700 with 52" deck in about 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Cant run full speed due to ground being too rough.
Haying might be practical if the whole 102 acres was in grass, but even used equipment on 50 acres or less is too expensive to justify tying up $30K+ for a round baler, rake and cutter not to mention the tractor cost to pull it. New round baler, 70+ HP tractor, tedder, cutter> you are looking at close to $100K.

A 40 HP or thereabout is likely all you need to bush hog, pull out the occasional tree, move a round bale (after someone else cuts and bales) and do other miscellaneous chores. MY Brother in law routinely moves round bales and stacks them 2 high with a New Holland T2310 Boomer. I had to use my LS P7010 to get the 3rd level in place but 2 isn't a problem and 3 can be done if the bales are light like after setting for 6 months and drying out.
You may bust your $20k budget getting a commercial or heavy residential zero turn and a 40 hp tractor unless you go used on the tractor but it wont be by much. My Ferris was $6200 with taxes included so you would only have about $14K for the tractor and I think you would need at least $18K for a new one and to get 0% financing you will have to go with new. Many mower dealers are also offering 0% financing.

Agree.

I mow about 5 acres (only about 25% of the time I can go full speed due to bumps) in about 2 hours with my 66" zero turn. I could probably cut 20 mins off if I wasn't mowing around stumps, but alot of my cutting is around objects, trees, gardens, etc.

I would NOT want to mow that with a tractor. I understand that some people don't want 2 different machines, but that ZTR is worth it. Makes cutting grass with anything else seem silly (grass size depending).

I agree that 40hp & up is going to be a necessity with that amount of property, and tractor shrinkage is a very real phenomenon. You're really going to limit your shopping choices if trying to stay below $20k. If you raise that number just up to $25k, you'll greatly expand your choices.

*Kubota MX4700, maybe an MX5100
*Kioti DK40, 45, or 50
*LS R4041, 4047 or the newer XR4046
*Mahindra 4035

All good tractors capable of lifting around 2500lbs, all above 40hp. They range from around $20-25k.

Personally, I wouldn't buy new implements as a package unless I had money to spare. Used implements can be found on Craigslist for half the cost (or less) and they usually last forever.

I'd rather spend my budget on the right tractor, and buy the other implements when the need arises. If you've got friends/family (or friendly neighbors) with tractors, you'll double your implements if you're both willing to play nice & share.

/ What size do I need?
Those are all very good points. I do believe a neighbor has been cutting/bailing the hay so hopefully I can work out a deal with him and keep that going.

I agree with maintaining the grass first and worry about the rest later. In doing so, would going the route of a SCUT with a MMM still be a silly purchase? I'm thinking I could still at least mow and do light landscape work with a FEL and keep the snow off.

My 4 acres is nothing but WV hillside and I've heard ZTR don't like that but I'm not sure.

The original owner of the 100 acres has been maintaining the 10 acre lawn with a JD X500 and it seems to mow really nice. I thought just step it up to something like the 1025 and add a few implements and worry about the 40 horses later as mentioned above.

Thanks again for helping out a total noob!

/ What size do I need? #16  
Those are all very good points. I do believe a neighbor has been cutting/bailing the hay so hopefully I can work out a deal with him and keep that going.

I agree with maintaining the grass first and worry about the rest later. In doing so, would going the route of a SCUT with a MMM still be a silly purchase? I'm thinking I could still at least mow and do light landscape work with a FEL and keep the snow off.

My 4 acres is nothing but WV hillside and I've heard ZTR don't like that but I'm not sure.

The original owner of the 100 acres has been maintaining the 10 acre lawn with a JD X500 and it seems to mow really nice. I thought just step it up to something like the 1025 and add a few implements and worry about the 40 horses later as mentioned above.

Thanks again for helping out a total noob!

Try a Ventrac, it takes to the hills like a Billy Goat.

Attachments

• 2013_0718Ventrac0005.jpg
    2013_0718Ventrac0005.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 2013_0718Ventrac0004.jpg
    2013_0718Ventrac0004.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 154
   / What size do I need? #17  
I wouldn't spend money on a 1025 fel when you will need so much more. I am not against fels or the 1025 for that matter but really think you need the dedicated mower if you are maintaining 14 acres of lawn. I have a 110tlb with a fel and use an x749 and 4520 without fel for mowing and 3ph tractor work, I would consider what should be a fast mower with a diesel for the lawn work something like a 997 Deere or other good brands.

/ What size do I need? #18  
*Kubota MX4700, maybe an MX5100
*Kioti DK40, 45, or 50
*LS R4041, 4047 or the newer XR4046
*Mahindra 4035

All good tractors capable of lifting around 2500lbs, all above 40hp. They range from around $20-25k.

Personally, I wouldn't buy new implements as a package unless I had money to spare. Used implements can be found on Craigslist for half the cost (or less) and they usually last forever.

I'd rather spend my budget on the right tractor, and buy the other implements when the need arises. If you've got friends/family (or friendly neighbors) with tractors, you'll double your implements if you're both willing to play nice & share.

That's a good list. I'd probably add the new 1600 series Massey Fergusons as well....1648 up to 1660 will all lift 2,500lbs or more, and weigh 3,800lbs or more. They're newer, but the reports are good.

/ What size do I need? #19  
That's a good list. I'd probably add the new 1600 series Massey Fergusons as well....1648 up to 1660 will all lift 2,500lbs or more, and weigh 3,800lbs or more. They're newer, but the reports are good.

Just wasn't sure if it fel within the proper price range... that's why I completely left out JD as well.

---

OP: Personally I'd completely skip over the SCUT line. If you ONLY had the 4 acres to maintain, then yes, it would work ... But that machine will just waste your time on the larger property, and you will likely regret not having the larger tractor.

I had my Kioti CK20s (23hp 1100lb loader lift) for a year before I realized it just wasn't strong enough to keep me happy. Great tractor, just needed more.

Right tool right job, as they say.

/ What size do I need? #20  
Just wasn't sure if it fel within the proper price range... that's why I completely left out JD as well.

I'm not sure either, but I think it would be close...worth a phone call if there's a dealer nearby.