Buying Advice Newby seeks help with buying a tractor.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #11  
What dealers are with in 50 miles of you? Start from the beginning.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #12  
I'm a newbie too, owning 15 hilly acres in Catskill Mountains NY. I made 2 mistakes: Getting a tractor that was "just right" for 15 acres and getting the HST. I bought a Massey Ferguson MF1635 HST. The HST steals (depending on who you listen to) anywhere from 10-17% of your engines power. Couple that with the power consumed by my attachemets, loads etc and I was left with "not enough power". I'm taking a loss and upgrading to the MF1645 with less than 25 hours on my tractor. My advice? Pay more upfront and get something that will handle any of you needs, the attachements can wait. I got the HST thinking it would be easy for the wife and kids to operate but they won't do the jobs that need to be done, plus the 12 x 12 shuttle drive is very cool. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.....

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #13  
Thank you everyone for you're input. We have started looking at bigger tractors, Mahindra 4035HST w/ ML120 loader for $23590, Kubota L4600 (haven't received quote yet) and John Deere 3520 for $28000. Leaning towards the Mahindra for price and the tractor is way heavier.
What do you guys think?

I never did think the Green paint was worth the premium they demand..:stirthepot:

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #15  
Hey guys! So my husband and I bought 25 acres and need to buy a tractor. The land is about 12 acres flat, the rest gently sloped to hill. We own horses and would like to use the tractor to harrow/disc the manure back into the pastures to improve them. Possibly reseed as well. We have lots of star thistle as well! Also need to move trees and rocks. My husband is not a mechanic and we know little about tractors. We've spoken to a JD dealer who gave us a qoute for a 2720 with loader and disc harrow for $22k. Is this tractor big enough? Also looking at Kobuta and Mahindra. Would love opinions and any suggestions!!
Thank you!

We have horses to and the only time i wish for a smaller tractor than the 40 HP or the 55 HP is cleaning out stalls in the barn ( pretty easy to go a little to far and move a wall):eek:
The field work of discing and plowing are easier to do with more weight and power, it will also get you a more capable FEL (we use ours for stacking bales at over the 4 row high) also some times buy round bales...
I would suggest a tractor of at least 3400# before the loader or loaded tires. I ended up buying used tractors but at one point was close to purchasing a Kioti dk55 - a lot of tractor for the price, same can be said for Mahindra and LS if you want new without paying a premium for the name...

Good luck with your search:thumbsup:

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #17  
Think about used, you can really save some bucks. But you will need to know something about the mechanicals or have someone go over the tractor who does know.

Also review the Case offerings as well as LS. Sounds like you will not really be using the unit heavily and LS actually makes and badges tractors for other companies, you will save thousands this way.

I would not think you need more than 50 HP, probably 35 would work well. I would strongly suggest a front end loader with quick detach options. You will be surprised how helpful this is especially when fencing or moving material around.

If you have good even land you can even use a zero turn for mowing so a mower on the tractor may or may not be the best bet.

Heavier is not always better. How will you move the tractor? Why is it heavier? Does it have a frame with everything mounted or just engine bolted to transmission bolted into rear? Several different types of build.

I would imagine you will put 100 hours a year at most on the tractor. An older unit might actually be a better buy!

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #19  
Bigger is better. Per dollar the JD 4005 is good value . If you don't mind shifting gears. The 5045E is entry priced. The 5055E is the most basic 4x4 gear drive with an optional cab.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #20  
I am very satisfied with my 5045E but I still have less then 200 hours on it and I have 120 acres to work on plus a three quarter mile private road to maintain and plow snow off of. So mine might be a bit much for our newby with 25 acres. There are several tractors from competive makers that would serve as well, so I do not want to push one brand or model when my experience is limited to just two tractors.

Last edited: