Buying Advice Newby seeks help with buying a tractor.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #1  

maggie4824

Tractor
None
Hey guys! So my husband and I bought 25 acres and need to buy a tractor. The land is about 12 acres flat, the rest gently sloped to hill. We own horses and would like to use the tractor to harrow/disc the manure back into the pastures to improve them. Possibly reseed as well. We have lots of star thistle as well! Also need to move trees and rocks. My husband is not a mechanic and we know little about tractors. We've spoken to a JD dealer who gave us a qoute for a 2720 with loader and disc harrow for $22k. Is this tractor big enough? Also looking at Kobuta and Mahindra. Would love opinions and any suggestions!!
Thank you!

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #2  
I drive a Kubota B3300SU, 33-hp / 1,900 pounds with Front End Loader / 4-WD. One increment larger than the Deere 2720. I think the Deere 2720 would be BARELY adequate.

In the 1980's I used to visit Lake County, California, looking at wine grapes for Fetzer Vineyards. i remember the soil as being rocky, dry, and hard where the wine grapes are grown. My B3300SU is just adequate pulling implements over Florida sandy-loam, which is rock free and usually moist.

I do not know your specific conditions but I would look for a tractor-loader with closer to 40-hp and 3,000 pounds, including FEL and certainly 4-WD and a Category 1 Three Point Hitch. Tractor weight makes considerable difference in your ability to get work done. Also, you do not want to run your tractor wide open to get your work done in Lake County's hot summers. Tractors overheat, like cars, when overworked.

More implements, new or used, are compatible with Category 1 three point hitch than other Categories.

I really like my Kubota but there are a lot of good tractor brands. Tractors in the compact tractor category are assembled from imported components.

DISC HARROW LINK:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/275147-disc-harrow-primer-howse-disc.html

THREE POINT HITCH LINK:

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/technical/threepoint.html

Attachments

• IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0314.JPG
    IMG_0314.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
   / Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #3  
maggie4824,

The John Deere 2720 is classified as a "SCUT" (sub compact utility tractor). Truly, it would be pushing it's limits often I feel on your property and your current and future tasks you will want to accomplish.

In the John Deere line, I feel you need to look at their 3032E or 3038E, Kubota L3200 or L3800, Mahindra 3016 or 3616. These are all "CUTs" (Compact Utility Tractors) and are just a little larger in size and horsepower. It will be easier to find used implements for CUTs and cheaper problably as well. I can assure you, that you will be looking into other implements in the future. By spending just a small amount more now will save you money in the future.

Tractors are really mobile power sources, capable of lifting, powering and pulling implements that do the actual work. I feel that a CUT is a better choice for your operation.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #4  
for what yall are wanting todo i think you should look at a mx5100 hst rops 4x4 with quicktatch loader.its 3x the tractor that you priced from JD an its about $5000 more.an itll do everything you want done on your farm.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #5  
For ease of use for new owners..I feel HST is a must(similar to auto in a car but not the same) versus gear or standard shift.Four wheel drive with FEL(front end loader) 3,000 lbs ,Ag type tires (R1) and a dealer you like and trust.Size your tractor to the biggest job(handling round bales? )Do lots of reading on this site,loads of great information.Good luck in your search.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor.
Thank you everyone for you're input. We have started looking at bigger tractors, Mahindra 4035HST w/ ML120 loader for $23590, Kubota L4600 (haven't received quote yet) and John Deere 3520 for $28000. Leaning towards the Mahindra for price and the tractor is way heavier.
What do you guys think?

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #7  
Heavier is not always better:depends what you are doing with the tractor.I think you are going in the right direction,buy the right tractor the first time;I.E. tractors seem to shrink after use.What brands are popular in your area?Are you comfortable with your dealer?I am not very familiar with Mahindra but recently watched a video on their 100 HP cab model and was impressed with the features that it had.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #8  
Thank you everyone for you're input. We have started looking at bigger tractors, Mahindra 4035HST w/ ML120 loader for $23590, Kubota L4600 (haven't received quote yet) and John Deere 3520 for $28000. Leaning towards the Mahindra for price and the tractor is way heavier.
What do you guys think?

All of these tractors are an order of magnitude larger than the Deere 2720 you were considering in Post #1.

Deere 3520 is only slightly larger than my Kubota B3300SU, discussed in Post #2. Of course, Deere make larger tractor/loaders.....

I still think you need 40-hp and 3,000 pounds, specs for Kubota L4600 and Mahindra 4035 HST,......but you have not provided details of the soil and moisture in your part of Lake County, so I am generalizing based on my experience in the wine grape areas. Kubota L4600 would be the "safe" but more costly selection.

If you can't decide between brands, let proximity/helpfulness of the dealer be the tie breaker.

Following are several PAGES of archived threads discussing Mahindra 4035:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...dra+4035+site:tractorbynet.com&rls=en&start=0

Same for Kubota L4600:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...L4600+site:tractorbynet.com&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited:
   / Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #9  
maggie,

I feel that you will be much happier with any of the larger tractors. Pick the one that feels the best for you, both in price and how comfortable you feel operating each one. All three are good choices.

/ Newby seeks help with buying a tractor. #10  
$22000 is a chunk of money. I bought my 5205 used and have bought several attachments - none of them new and haven't spent anything close to that. Shop around a bit and don't be scared to at least look at used equipment.