What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #11  
Check out a Kioti and save 10 grand over Kubota. Even has a Horn and Rear 3 point Control.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #12  
Pete's up in Morrisville sells Kioti tractors if you want to take a look.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #13  
OP -
I forgot to put in my plug for used tractors with a hard example.
Just before (Jan 7th 2013) I bought my M4700 at an auction (Jan 20th 2013) I had been emailing Barlow's equipment with the following parameters:
Critical parameters I see are:
I need to be able to lift about a ton on the 3pt.
I want about 40HP, but not more than probably 55 because it's too big
to maneuver in the woods.
I need 4 WD or MFWD.
I've got to have a FEL.
I would strongly prefer HST but could live with shuttle type shift, I
don't anticipate doing a LOT of FEL work. I've used a 30hp SATO with
standard and it worked ok for my needs.
Turf tires won't do.
PLUS it had to be about $15K (per my agreement with SWMBO)

Brady had a nice L4630 which met all my needs
photo 3.jpg
with a FRESH CHANGE of FLUIDS and FILTERS for < $17K DELIVERED. I almost wish I had bought that one. A comparable new L4600 would have cost about $27K list, plus tax.
Messicks has similar deals.

I mention Barlows and Messicks because they have a well respected internet presence here.

My point is if you are willing to go used, buy from a respectable source, you have a good chance of saving a bunch of $$, which you can then throw away on attachments. Plus if you have a mechanic "in your pocket" you should have few worries.

Tractors are pretty much open outside machines, that "new tractor smell" goes away pretty quick.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #14  
There's a Grand L3940 cab for private sale on route 15 in Walden not too far west of Hardwick I saw over the weekend. It looks like new and has a brushhog attached. Can't remember the actual place.

Fred

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #15  
Tractors are pretty much open outside machines, that "new tractor smell" goes away pretty quick.

LOL...I love that quote!

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #16  
Welcome to TBN! Rather than $7-8k for a front mounted blower, consider a pull type (forward facing rear mount) just drive n blow. Half the price and work great. Oh and +1 for the Kioti DK40 with cab. :laughing:

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #17  
Here we go again...:rolleyes:

This question should have been asked in the Kubota forum, since it's asking about Kubota models.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #18  
for what your wanting to use a tractor for your looking for something like the MX5100 HST ROPS 4x4 with fel.itll be big enough to run as snow blower backhoe an do some logging.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....
My bad there folks - didn't know there was a specific Kubota forum...but I do now!

Ultimately I don't care what color my future tractor is or what logo it has on it so long as it is well built, performs as designed and is on the lower end of the maintenance cost scale. I would honestly pay double up front for something that rarely breaks rather than get shut down in the middle of projects and spent countless hours on the logistics and frustration of getting it fixed (and probably paying more in the long run for the pleasure).

After learning JD and New Holland both sub contract out different components in their manufacturing process and that Kubota is all "in house" it was an easy step to focus on Kubota...plus that L2600 I occasionally borrow has had little downtime over the last 13 years I've been in the neighborhood. Not sure if sub-contracting out is true for Kioti, Mahindra or others so I'm still open. When I search for each manufacturer on Google Maps there are a LOT more kubota dealers in VT/NH where I'll be living the rest of my life than the others.

That said, keep it coming - I've got more leads to chase down than I know what to do with!

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #20  
My bad there folks - didn't know there was a specific Kubota forum...but I do now!

Ultimately I don't care what color my future tractor is or what logo it has on it so long as it is well built, performs as designed and is on the lower end of the maintenance cost scale. I would honestly pay double up front for something that rarely breaks rather than get shut down in the middle of projects and spent countless hours on the logistics and frustration of getting it fixed (and probably paying more in the long run for the pleasure).

After learning JD and New Holland both sub contract out different components in their manufacturing process and that Kubota is all "in house" it was an easy step to focus on Kubota...plus that L2600 I occasionally borrow has had little downtime over the last 13 years I've been in the neighborhood. Not sure if sub-contracting out is true for Kioti, Mahindra or others so I'm still open. When I search for each manufacturer on Google Maps there are a LOT more kubota dealers in VT/NH where I'll be living the rest of my life than the others.

That said, keep it coming - I've got more leads to chase down than I know what to do with!

You'er in the right place if you don't care what color tractor. It's just these ' one brand vs another' threads usually never end well. The last one got deleted.