What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or.....

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #31  
You agree that an L3800 would be enough for "almost anything"? Come on man, that's just silly. Tractors twice it's size aren't even capable of matching that description.

An L3800 couldn't even come close to lifting my counterweight with the FEL (which I have had to do several times), and my tractor isn't all that big.

Yes, I agree with the "almost anything" statement. Key word is 'almost'. :D

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #32  
Original poster, Miguel00 described his needs on 10 acres, possibly increasing by 35 some day. He described things he is needing to do on his property. He lists an L3800 in the tile of his thread, the fact that he is comfortable with Kubota quality, he would pay a premium for a reliable tractor and mentions he has multiple Kubota dealers in his area. He is looking for comments and advice based on his input.

Messmaker and Bluegill2 thoughtfully respond to miguell00 that he should be able to do most everything he describes with the L3800 that he asks about. They apparently share similar experiences and know the capability of the range of tractors in question. I think they had good input and I appreciate them posting.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #33  
Well said Tom!

Looks like the LS guys are on a rampage and this thread will likely get deleted too. :rolleyes:

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #34  
Original poster, Miguel00 described his needs on 10 acres, possibly increasing by 35 some day. He described things he is needing to do on his property. He lists an L3800 in the tile of his thread, the fact that he is comfortable with Kubota quality, he would pay a premium for a reliable tractor and mentions he has multiple Kubota dealers in his area. He is looking for comments and advice based on his input.

Messmaker and Bluegill2 thoughtfully respond to miguell00 that he should be able to do most everything he describes with the L3800 that he asks about. They apparently share similar experiences and know the capability of the range of tractors in question. I think they had good input and I appreciate them posting.

Hey Tom. .. I don't think anybody was saying he should not buy a Kubota. Actually, the OP said he didn't really care which color it was anyhow. Please don't make this into another Kubota vs everything else thread.

The OP mentioned a lot of detail about his upcoming purchase needs, wouldn't it be more helpful to give specific information instead of just saying "my tractor does everything a bigger tractor can do."

Clearly if he's talking about a potential hay operation, the L3800 is probably not going to cut it.

Try to be a little more open minded, just because somebody says Tractor A has done everything I've ever asked it to do, doesn't mean that a different owner will have the same experience, because another owner might feel differently, and might do completely different work with it.
I can't remember his name, but take for example the guy who owns an L3540 and feels it is underpowered for his use. Other people with that same tractor don't report that issue. If it's not something wrong with the tractor, then it is just different operating conditions or expectations.

Maybe those guys saying the L 3800 does everything they ask it to do, could specify for the OP exactly what they do with it that makes it the right sized tractor. Then the OP could decide if that tractor could fit his needs too, as they may or may not align with the poster.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #35  
I believe Bluegill and Messmaker were saying the L3800 would do nearly everything Miguel was saying he would need to do. I think they were responding to the original intent of the post. Specific tasks above the capacity could be hired or rented as I recall.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #36  
Yes, I agree with the "almost anything" statement. Key word is 'almost'. :D

I guess your "almost anything" excludes a lot of common things.

The OP talked about logging, landscaping, construction of a house and adding a bunch more acreage. I spent about 70 hours doing logging last year, and I frequently maxed out a loader that can lift 2.5x as much as an L3800 can. That sounds a long way from almost anything. I'm in the process of building a 40x64 outbuilding, after knocking down two houses, and had to get my neighbors Bobcat and full-size backhoe to do a lot of even the lighter work. Heck, the loader on an L3800 will struggle to even fill a 30yd dumpster. I know that one because my loader only goes a couple inches higher, and is right on the edge.

The OP also talked about the Grand L line, and not being tied to any particular brand. An MX or Grand L sounds like it would do a lot more of what he's talking about without making significant compromises in time of efficiency.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #37  
I guess your "almost anything" excludes a lot of common things.

The OP talked about logging, landscaping, construction of a house and adding a bunch more acreage. I spent about 70 hours doing logging last year, and I frequently maxed out a loader that can lift 2.5x as much as an L3800 can. That sounds a long way from almost anything. I'm in the process of building a 40x64 outbuilding, after knocking down two houses, and had to get my neighbors Bobcat and full-size backhoe to do a lot of even the lighter work. Heck, the loader on an L3800 will struggle to even fill a 30yd dumpster. I know that one because my loader only goes a couple inches higher, and is right on the edge.

The OP also talked about the Grand L line, and not being tied to any particular brand. An MX or Grand L sounds like it would do a lot more of what he's talking about without making significant compromises in time of efficiency.

I spent more than 70 hours logging last year. I've been loggin almost 2 years with a L3800, over 10 years with a L3750 and 10 years before that with a 50hp Case 2wd. Have 400 acres of hard woods here and the L3800DT does just fine. It is small and nimble, it works for me, does exactly what it's designed to do. Seems you really like to argue, but I'm done arguing with you! :cool:

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #38  
I spent more than 70 hours logging last year. I've been loggin almost 2 years with a L3800, over 10 years with a L3750 and 10 years before that with a 50hp Case 2wd. Have 400 acres of hard woods here and the L3800DT does just fine. It is small and nimble, it works for me, does exactly what it's designed to do. Seems you really like to argue, but I'm done arguing with you! :cool:

Sounds like you use your equipment within its capabilities and get more done than many of us. I suspect you can can work reasonable sized equipment like a pro and get the most out of it. Like most of us, you probably learned a long time ago not to oversize your equipment. Good job!

I know people that went out and bought a monster Stihl MS880 chainsaw and then waited for a limb to fall out of a tree in their backyard so they can cut it up. When the 1" limb jammed their chain they claimed they maxed the saw out. Me, I use the right tool for the job and get more done by myself than many people do working in teams.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #39  
I suspect you can can work reasonable sized equipment like a pro and get the most out of it.

That is what it is all about, you have to know how to run it and have the determination to get the job done.

/ What's the right tractor? 10 acres now; 35 acres later: L3800 vs L3540/3940 or..... #40  
Sounds like you use your equipment within its capabilities and get more done than many of us. I suspect you can can work reasonable sized equipment like a pro and get the most out of it. Like most of us, you probably learned a long time ago not to oversize your equipment. Good job!

I know people that went out and bought a monster Stihl MS880 chainsaw and then waited for a limb to fall out of a tree in their backyard so they can cut it up. When the 1" limb jammed their chain they claimed they maxed the saw out. Me, I use the right tool for the job and get more done by myself than many people do working in teams.
Yes Tom, we are on the same page. I look in on tractor and chainsaw forums, the most over used statement by far is "go bigger". Doesn't work for me! Like you, I pick the right tool for the job and get plenty done. A larger tractor wouldn't work as good on the ground I log and I process more wood with 50-60cc high performance saws than most do with 70-80cc+ saws...:D