Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy??

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #11  
Both the JD and Kubota brands will have reliable products and reliable dealer networks. I would not hesitate with either in that size range.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #12  
I just agonized over the same issues you are having. I looked at Kubota, New Holland, Massey Ferguson, John Deere and a couple of others. I then did what you are doing, research. I also looked at the dealership. Do they have a shop, is the dealership clean and organized, do they have a lot of current inventory on hand meaning they are selling stuff and expect to turn it quick. And then I looked at if I had to sell the tractor for some reason what would I be able to get rid of the easiest. For me it came down to a John Deere 5085E. I have 147 acre cow calf operation.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #13  
. I also looked at the dealership. Do they have a shop, is the dealership clean and organized, do they have a lot of current inventory on hand meaning they are selling stuff and expect to turn it quick. And then I looked at if I had to sell the tractor for some reason what would I be able to get rid of the easiest. For me it came down to a John Deere 5085E. .

Very solid reasoning. JD is huge in the big, big tractor market and they will be there for the mid size tractor long after we are all gone. 5083E is a nice tractor.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #14  
Welcome to TBN. I did the same as HIXTER plus the owner was a long time friend. They gave a great deal on the trade in and I've never had a moments regret or problem with the Kubota. I'm open station because: 1) its a whole lot less expensive, 2) I like being out in the wx and 3) a majority of my property is big & tall Ponderosa pine. However, there are those times - blading the snow off my mile long driveway in a driving snow storm - when a warm, dry cab does sound nice.

It can not be over stressed how important the dealership is - they are a patient, friendly ear when you have questions, they are ready, available and experienced if you have any problems with the tractor and they provide a convenient, available source of materials, parts and supplies when you need to do routine maintenance on your tractor.

From all my looking, questioning & talking with neighbors the decision became quite easy - I chose Kubota. Now if I were a BIG farmer then it would have been - John Deere, Massey Ferguson or Versatile in this area.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #15  
Wagtail is right.

Size does matter.

But so does knowing how to use what you've got. I imaging Prescott gets a considerable amount of lake effect snow, and lord knows how big you grow your mosquitoes, midges, and blackflies, so you'll probably be better served getting a tractor with a cab.

You know, I can pop my loader attachments on and off with just two levers. You'd think they'd have cabs that would come off and on just as simply.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #16  
Kubota is hard to beat. I've had three since 1984 and they have been great!

Come on, you're not going to correct him on sizing? Everybody knows that an L3800 can do nearly anything! :laughing:

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #17  
Come on, you're not going to correct him on sizing? Everybody knows that an L3800 can do nearly anything! :laughing:

What does this have to do with this thread?

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #19  
How definite are your haying/soybean plans? How many acres do expect to plant? Depending on your answers, these jobs will size your tractor--more acres planted means more hp required. Your other tasks can be handled by a small utility tractor in the 50-60 hp range. If you're serious about farming, you should broaden your search and look for large, pre-owned ag tractors in the 100 hp range. You can find these tractors on eBay, Craigslist and locally and get cheap hp compared to the new tractors you mentioned in your initial post. Something like a $20-25K new tractor in the 50-60 hp range and a $10K tractor in the 80-100 hp range might fit your budget.

Good luck

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #20  
It has nothing to do with this thread. But I think I have a following. :D

All Kubota owners have a following that comes with being in the lead.