Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy??

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #1  

Ilovemytractor

Tractor
none presently.
Hello, I am new to this form and thought I might see what folks think.
We have a 100 acre hobby farm. (new to us) and we want to buy a tractor.
I was thinking Kubota m9960 with loader or maybe kubota m100gx and possibly the John Deere 5100m. At this point I am tractor dreaming and trying to figure out what brand and what hp I want. I am up here in Canada and we have lots of snow. So for sure i will be plowing and blowing snow. Getting older and I am thinking a hay crop or perhaps soy beans. I don't want some massive operation but something fairly straight forward to do with my land. Our John Deere dealership is a hour away but we have a Kubota dealership really close. What do people think of Kubota. I like John Deere but they seem somewhat overpriced. Thank you.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #2  
Kubota is a very nice tractor. Welcome to the tractorbynet.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #3  
Welcome to the site.

I have a JD3720. I really like it. I have a front mount snow blower which I would not part with. My tractor is 43hp. I would recommend something in the 50+hp for you. the choices that you have listed are good. I am partial to JD, however my friend down the road from here has a Kubota m9960 and he loves it. I do not know what he paid for it though.
Up here in AK. I have found that as long as you stay within a particular size/hp rating the prices are pretty comparable (within a few hundred dollars of each other).
For me it came down to ease of service and that fact that the JD dealer was in my town. The nearest Kubota dealer is about 3 hrs.(180miles) from where I live and there were no authorized service centers in my area. I got a great tractor for a decent price. The zero down/zero interest plan was helpful too.
If you like the Kubota and the service center/sales people are decent. I would go with the Kubota. Having a dealer that can answer you questions and come out to your place when you need them is priceless!

Good Luck

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #4  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Price has its place, of course, but a dealers reputation (sales & service) is paramount as far as I'm concerned. And that is whatever the colour of the rig.

By all means, study the comparison threads here on the site. My best advice is to throw a Barbie for your neighbours (a meet & greet), then ask those with tractors what they'd reccomend and who are the reputable dealers.

Oh, and whatever you decide on? Go one size larger. :laughing:

Enjoy & have fun.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy??
You made me laugh. Have a Barbie for your neighbors. I never heard that expression. Thank you for writing. Lots of farming being done in the area and will ask my friends and neighbors about their tractors.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy??
Thanks for writing. I know the family that owns and runs the Kubota dealership. They are nice people. I am pretty sure I want a tractor with a cab. We get lots of snow, lots of bugs in the summer for that matter. I just thought a tractor with a cab is a better all around choice for where I live. Now my other thought is that I like the idea of having a buddy seat in a cab where I can take my wife, daughter or perhaps a friend, or even my dog with me when I am out. At this point I think I am leaning to getting a Kubota tractor as I know a number of people with smaller operations have them and it seems the people with larger farms are driving John Deere up here with a some others driving New Holland. I have driven the Kubota 9960 $59,000 with out loader. Very, very nice tractor. Runs beautifully. And I am considering the m100GX with a better cab, buddy seat. Better all around tractor. Don't have a price on it yet. Anyways have always wanted a John Deere tractor so we will see how this works out after more questions, test driving and seeing what the best price out there I can get. Thanks again for writing.

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #7  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons forum. :)

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #8  
Kubota is hard to beat. I've had three since 1984 and they have been great!

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #9  
I'd say you are looking at the right size tractor. Very easy to buy too small. I maintain 180 acres with my M9540 open station. Too much timber work for a cab. I started with a L4400 Kubota. Discovered real quick that it was too small. Rather than look at price, I look at what fits me. Get all the seat time you can skim outta the dealers before you lay down money. You can't tell much about a tractor driving it around in circles on a graveled parking lot.

Welcome to TBN and keep us posted on your search!!! :)

/ Decisons, decisions, what tractor to buy?? #10  
The 100gx is probably going to be around 10+grand more than the 9960,alot more bells and whistles,awesome tractor. For a hay operation both would be great size.