Which - Basically I am Colorblind

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #1  

Fitz_VA

Tractor
Ford 1310 FEL 4WD, JD 5055E
I have been following the Q/A on this board for a bit and I am looking for your advice, as you have your thoughts collectively together. I live in Schuyler, VA on 12 acres, mostly wooded, with some serious terrain that I will not be able to manage, regardless of tractor type. On the rest that I can manage with a 4wd I am looking to do the following: remove trees, bush hog, move lots of dirt and small rocks (100-600 lbs) and general grading and field work. I am clearing land now with a saw and a 4wd truck, leaving stumps, at some point I will need to clean the areas up and bush hog it. I have been advised that anything my 4wd truck can deal with, a 4wd tractor will not have a problem with - true? As I have some steep sections that I will be finishing this winter and would like to bushhog.

I have looked at Blue, Green, Orange, and Branson over the last two weeks. I am unsure of the bransons. They list high numbers for the lift and overall weight of the 20 series machines. I just do not have a feel for what would be good for me here. I have folks around with escavators for the nasty stuff. So I was looking at the following, all 4 wd:

Blue: TC30 compact, TC40, TC33. TC 30 has a nice set to it, the rest of the boomer line appears to have the large rear/front wheel differential to the extreme.

Orange: 3130 is the one that I thought may be the one.

Branson: 3520

I am looking at spending 12-18K but most of all I would like to buy what I need, rather than what I want. Critical issues are stability and the ability to move some earth and maybe dig out some tree roots here and there. The TC30 looks like it might be able to handle it, but I would like to get the experts opinion. Purely a residential tool, but I do have some obstacles on my land that I am worried about with the smaller compacts. Numerically I understand but I do not have a feel for a 900 lb bucket vs a 1800 lb bucket in terms of working in the woods (poplar, oaks, maples, 4"-36") and making clearings. Sorry for the length, thanks for taking the time.

Jim

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #2  
Hi Jim,welcome to the board! I live in Amherst County, Va which is not very far south from you. Yes, in my opinion a 4WD tractor will go anywhere a 4WD vehicle will go and probably further. You will also find that a 4WD tractor has 25% more ability than a 2WD counterpart of the same size. I have a Kubota L3600 which is comparable to a L3830 in a newer model.

I know my tractor would do what you need and I don't consider it to be large but it may be a bit bigger than you really need. Of course a little bigger is always better as long as you don't go into overkill.

You're welcome to come down and drive mine if you like. You can take a look at the terrain on my property too and get a comparison.

Either way, good luck!

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #3  
Which do YOU like best? Which dealer do you like best? The reason we finally settled on the dealer we did is A. He had what we wanted. B. He didn't try to talk down the other dealers or their products. He just came back to his product every time. Not why it was superior, just what it could do.

Those you've picked are all capable machines. Some may have an edge in one area or another, but it will probably be balanced out somewhere else. What you've described is within the capacity of all of the units. So, the choice appears to be coming back to what you like and who you like, and most important of all the $$$$.

Steve

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #4  
Fitz,
As was pointed out earlier, any of the choices you mentioned, as well as several others will probably handle what you're asking. It all comes down to the piece you like, your confidence in the dealer and the cash.

Have you decided on the type on tranny for the new piece? I have similar terrain and tasks as you describe. I've owned and operated many tractors over the years, all gear drive till my last purchase. The use you describe is perfect for an HST tranny. (I know....there's plenty of folks that are willing and able to debate this for hours, and no doubt they are sure their opinion is right).

All I'm trying to say is you would do yourself an injustice if you didn't try an HST piece. As for me, I'll never go back after having one.

Let us know what you end up with.

Good Luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #5  
WELCOME ABOARD: i would stay in the 30 to 35 hp class any of the machines u mentioned will do most of what u want, the only sticky problem i can see is the removing stumps , without a BH it is pretty hard to do, those roots go a long way and are stuborn. and as mentioned before , what drive are you leaning towards? i am a great proponent of hst, but that is me. keep us informed.

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #6  
Keep in mind that many of the experts here are experts in one brand/type of tractor.

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the only sticky problem i can see is the removing stumps , without a BH it is pretty hard to do, those roots go a long way and are stuborn. )</font>

I agree with Frank here. Your not likely going to remove tree stumps with a front end loader.

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Keep in mind that many of the experts here are experts in one brand/type of tractor. )</font>

That's true. I have seen some shades of that here. However I've found if I listen with an open mind, most everyone has a valid point of view and good information to share.

As for myself, I have personally owned and operated several pieces from a M John Deere and Super A to an MF1135 and an IH1086. No, that does not qualify me as an expert, I do not claim to be.

I think most of us are not here to promote any brand or type. Just to gain some knowledge and maybe share a little of our own to help others with less exposure.

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind #9  
I was dead set on a gear drive on a kubota.A hydro tranny was a complete waste of money in my opinion.To make a long story short I bought a hydro.Trust me on hills you will NEVER regret it.The color doesn't make much difference.I chose orange.

/ Which - Basically I am Colorblind
Hi Tony and others,
I am really happy I stumbled onto this group, your all giving me excellent advice, so please continue to add your two cents worth. Sorry about getting model specific, it was not my intention. It sounds like many of the current tractors are good, regardless of manufacturer. Key components like the hydro drive that could be critical are things that are important for me to consider right now. Cost is not an issue so much as buying what is appropriate (not that I am rich). I think, thanks to all of you and your criteria, I am honing in on one.
Looking forward to reading the rest,
Jim