Buying Advice John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #1  

glennawhite123

Tractor
john deere
I am currently in the market for a new tractor to replace the JD2150 I just sold. I am looking at a John Deere 5055E (4 wheel dirve) w/ FEL and a Kubota MX5100 4 wheel drive with FEL
Kubota is about $4000 cheaper but I never had a Kubota and don't know if i would be satisified. I have had JD's for about 20 years. Almost all I do is bush hog and spray the pastures.
Any pros and cons on either.
thanks, i appreciate any help you can give me.

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #2  
I think both are good machines. Dealer support would be a factor.

Looking at the TractorData specs, the JD is 1800 pounds heavier and has a higher 3 point hitch lifting capacity. The JD also a better hydraulic flow rate.
I'd say that the JD is going to be a closer match to the tractor you just sold. If you go orange, you'll need to go bigger to get a close equivalent.

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #3  
For me, a big issue was the JD's having a seperate PTO clutch/lever, independant from the transmission clutch pedal. Not sure 'bout the MX5100, but many of the 'Bota's I was looking at had a 2 stage clutch pedal /combo. Just didn't want that.

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #4  
MX5100 has a hyd controlled wet pto clutch very similar to the JD 2150 unlike the dry pto clutch on the JD 5055E built in India. I still can't believe JD engineers haven't found a cure after all these years for the temp switch that has a long history of failures for the "cold start advance"

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #5  
I'm also looking at these two models to replace our old L3750. I've been back and forth, but leaning hard toward the MX5100 now. The JD does look good, but I hear of folks having problems with newer JDs'. I also prefer the 2 stage clutch of the MX. Having 3 Kubotas in 30 years with no major problems is a strong pull for me to stay with orange too.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #6  
all i can tell you is get the tractor that best suits you.i had a kubota mx5100 hst rops 4x4 fel for 2.5yrs an loved it.it did everything i asked of it an more.but things changed on the farm an we needed a bigger tractor.so it was traded for a 7040 SU.

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #7  
I also prefer the 2 stage clutch of the MX. Having 3 Kubotas in 30 years with no major problems is a strong pull for me to stay with orange too.

Please explain how MX5100 can have a 2 stage clutch when a single stage traction clutch and hyd pto clutch is all I can find in the parts? Thanks,Jim

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 560
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 708
   / John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #8  
Please explain how MX5100 can have a 2 stage clutch when a single stage traction clutch and hyd pto clutch is all I can find in the parts? Thanks,Jim
I have no idea. I just assumed the larger gear drive kubota tractors had a two stage clutch. Just like the two smaller ones I have? I have not started looking hard at the MX yet, but it is on my radar... Maybe I need to be looking at the M series?

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #9  

Like he would buy anything but a Kubota anyway. Oh Pleeease Bluegill at least read the specs.

/ John Deere 5055E w/ FEL vs. Kubota MX5200 4 wheel drive with FEL #10  
Like he would buy anything but a Kubota anyway. Oh Pleeease Bluegill at least read the specs.
Hey man, I really have been lookin at the JD 5055e and stuff... :D:eek::cool: