Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres?

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #1  

PatrickVA

I am about to purchase a Kubota B7500 and have some lingering questions about whether the 21 horsepower engine is the workhorse I need for 11 acres in Piedmont Virginia. The land is rolling with some wet land near two streams. I have a 5 ft Ford bushhog deck and a 6ft road blade. I am planning to use it to cut grass fields, maintain half mile gravel road, move horse manure, maintain wooded trails and do a little woods clearing. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Also, if we buy a FEL should it come with teeth? Is it worth getting automatic transmission? What type of tires are best? Thanks.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #2  
Patrick, the B7500 will certainly do the job (I did it on 10 acres for a few years with a B7100 before trading up to a B2710), but a little larger tractor will do it in less time and ride more comfortably. So, just depending on how tight the budget it, you might want to also look at the B7800/B2710/B2910 tractors.

Personally, I wouldn't even consider not getting a FEL; very handy for the all the chores you're now planning, and then when you have one, you'll find a number of things it's good for that you hadn't considered beforehand. And if you intend to do any digging with the FEL, you'll certainly be glad you got the toothbar.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is it worth getting automatic transmission? )</font>

I think the majority of us much prefer the HST for convenience, ease of operation, safety, and faster work, especially with the FEL. Naturally, there are those who still prefer the manual transmission and it'll certainly work. This has been a hotly debated topic many times on the forum, so much depends on the budget, personal preference, and experience.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What type of tires are best? )</font>

Another frequently debated topic. Turf tires (R3) are good for mowing the lawn; otherwise, I don't really think you'd want them. Industrial tires (R4) are usually tougher and a little more puncture resistant and have become very popular in recent years. But some of us (myself included) still prefer the old "tractor" tires (R1) for maximum traction.

Good luck with your shopping, and welcome to the forum.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres?
Thanks so much! Budget is a consideration so it sounds like the B7500 will do the job. What's your opinion about the Ford deck and blade I have to use with the B7500? This is the first new tractor I've purchased and am trying to minimize mistakes! This forum is great for a new small farm owner. I can use all the good advice I get. Thanks again.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #4  
Patrick, unfortunately, I'm not familiar with that mower deck. I used a 4' Bush Hog Squealer on my B7100, but traded for a 5' Howse when I got the B2710. Personally, I much prefer a mower that's a bit wider than the outside of the tread on the rear wheels to get closer to fences, buildings, etc. I think a 5' one on the B7500 might be considered marginal; probably work great if all you're mowing is grass and weeds and don't try to go too fast. It might be heavy enough to make the front end of the tractor a little light when you pick it up with the 3-point hitch (I don't know what that one weighs). As for the blade, I only used 4' and 5' box blades, but for a straight blade, back blade, or whatever you want to call it, I think the 6' would be about right because you want it at least as wide or wider than the rear tires when it's angled.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #5  
"I think a 5' one on the B7500 might be considered marginal..."

I'm running a 5' cutter on a tractor that's slightly larger then the B7500, but just about the same power specs.

Although I'm going through some pretty thick brush, as long as I'm going slow (1st gear Low...about 1 MPH), it's doing pretty good.

I've only 2½ to 3 acres to do and I'm not in any hurry. But, eleven acres is almost 4 times what I'm doing.

The dealer who sold me the cutter (a Land Pride) said they sold them to use on B7500's with no problems. This was the first time I dealt with this dealer (a Kubota place, BTW). I think they seemed pretty honest...and, considering my experience with the 5' cutter, I think it'll work for you.

Figure this job is going to take you 2 to 4 days, depending on the thickness of the brush and if there's any other trash you've got to watch for. My brush is fairly thick and tall. But there's a lot of small (4" diameter, 25 to 30') trees under the brush. That's what is really slowing my clearing work down. When I come upon a downed tree...got to get off the tractor a drag it away. The FEL helps in moving the trees too, but not that much. Just me doing the job and I do have a bad leg (gimpy). As I mentioned...not in any real hurry...this area has been overgrown for a long time. Working a few hours on it when I've got the time is OK with me.

If you'd like to see what I bought and what I'm clearing, there's a thread in the "Attachments" forum called "Finally bought a cutter". It's a few weeks old now, BTW, so you might have to search for it.

If you can swing the bigger tractor, as Bird suggested, that's what you should do though...it'll make life easier for you.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #6  
Kubota is a fine tractor, but if you're not dead set on that brand, and budget is a consideration (as it always is), then there are also some fine basic tractors from New Holland, John Deere and others from Korea and even China that may work for you. In the Deere line, for example, the 790 is a 30 HP (25 PTO) in a gear shift model that is basic but rugged. I only mention the Deere becaues I know more about them than the others.

You might also be lucky and find a good used tractor, slightly larger than the 7500 for the same or less money without a lot of hours on it that's been well cared for. My tractor's in the garage, the car's outside until I can get a barn together for the tractor.

Good luck

Joe

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #7  
I just spent the day moving 20 to 50 pound granite cobblestones with the FEL on my Kubota B2910. I've got about 12 acres and multiple tractors, each outfitted for different things. I am not positive, but the 7500 is a 30hp tractor on a slightly smaller frame than the B2910. I would say that you could do pretty much anything you need to do with the 7500. But don't lock yourself into that one tractor or that brand, if you are in the shopping stage, try everything you can try and buy what is most comfortable to drive and where the shopping experience makes you feel most comfortable. A strong dealership is a big asset. I have NH, JD, Kubota, Cub & Case IH all within 8 miles of my house and have had good and bad experiences. The JD dealer will never get another dollar from me, I don't like begging for help. The NH guys are fantastic, and the Kubota/Cub/Case IH guys are also very good. Those two dealers get my money because they provide advice and service that I trust.

As for HST, I have it and love it. It makes FEL, mowing and blade work much easier. I don't plow fields, so I don't need low-low or similar gears, and to be honest, I wouldn't buy a tractor without HST for grounds care work.

Regarding heavy decks on small tractors I strongly recommend front wheel weights or suitcase weights on the front end. I also have a NH TC24D which is mostly a mowing machine and the 60" Befco finish mower is so heavy it lifts the front end when I transport it with the 3pt in the up position. I cut some 9.5" bar stock into 1.5" thick slices, drilled 1" holes in the center of the disks and used the EZ Weights system to mount 2 disks inside each of the front wheels for 100# of added weight very low on the front end. Now I can run uphill with the Befco deck in the up position and keep the front end on the ground. You may want to consider something similar if you do not have a FEL on the tractor.

If you do buy an FEL (and I would recommend it) then you might want to consider rear weights, loaded wheels or both. I lifted the back end of my Kubota up a couple times today moving the granite cobbles. I don't have rear weights and I had the back hoe off the tractor so the rear was too light.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am not positive, but the 7500 is a 30hp tractor on a slightly smaller frame than the B2910 )</font>

Bob, you're thinking of the B7800; the B7500 is a little smaller.

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #9  
<font color="blue"> I am not positive, but the 7500 is a 30hp tractor on a slightly smaller frame than the B2910. </font>

Bob,

I did not check the specs, but last time I was at my dealers we were talking about this and that, and he mentioned some people telling him that the BX2200 was a "bigger" tractor than the B7500...since the B7500 is 21 hp and the BX2200 is 22 hp.

Now the B7500 develops its HP at lower RPM...certainly a great tractor...from my perspective a perfect compromise...Right smack in the middle between my B2910 and the BX2200... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Is Kubota B7500 the workhorse for 11 acres? #10  
Patrick,

I think your cutting it kinda close. I think you would be better off going up a size or two.

Buy a front end loader and get some teeth. I really think smaller tractors need a toothbar to help compensate for there lack of size and weight.

I would get either shuttle shift or hydro. I wouldn't get a geared tractor in todays world.

Tires,,,,, I wouldn't even consider buying a four wheel drive tractor with turf tires /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Ags or Industrial are fine.

I have 9 acres and a 65HP tractor /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use it for EVERYTHING,,,, mowing, digging, knocking trees down, (big ones) moving automobiles, plowing snow with loader, landscaping, and other stuff. I do not regret for one minute the size of tractor that I bought, or the brand.

Good luck in your tractor buying quest,,,,,,,, RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>