Price Check Considering new John Deere 1025R

/ Considering new John Deere 1025R #1  

Bayhunter

Tractor
None
Getting ready to purchase a new John Deere 1025R with FEL and 60 inch mower deck. Total price is 16,500. This looks reasonable. Adding a canopy cover for $325 also. Need one here in South Texas. Will be cutting about 4 acres, gardening etc so I believe this is about the correct size. I have never owned a tractor before so I was hoping for some on this forum to provide their experienced opinion. Thanks in advance.

/ Considering new John Deere 1025R #2  
I did a review of mine in both the Reviews section (at top) and in the Operations part of the forum. I use mine mainly with a 4' bush hog on trails and to knock down stuff from time to time and with a MacKissic chipper/shredder. My 4010 was an awesome snow moving machine with the FEL and 5' back blade. The 1025's FEL is a tad smaller, but I still have the back blade. Also have a carryall and soil ripper from an old M. Don't have a need for the ripper any more and have offered it to a friend. He doesn't have a tractor yet though. Only disappointment so far on the 1025 is its almost double fuel consumption vs. the 4010. I may regret not having the steering brakes this winter, but often when I used them the 4010's front wheels just skidded in the snow anyway. Used them at end of garden row on the 4010 to do quick turns but had to give up that big garden anyway due to heart condition.

I'd advise getting R3 tires if you can. The R4s that most of the 1025s come with don't have much turning traction because of the way the treads are made. They slip badly compared to the R3s (turf) treads I had on the 4010. Any front tire issues at all and I'm swapping the fronts to R3s on the 1025.

Ralph

/ Considering new John Deere 1025R
Thanks Ralph, ordered the tractor plus a rt1042 tiller. We like to garden so what the heck might as well get all we need. Want to become more self sufficient but still stay very active in retirement in a couple of years. I will check out your reviews.
Do not know what tires I am getting but can change them out if needed. I think they are just tractor tires.
Best to you.