Dirt Scoop

/ Dirt Scoop #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
I am considering this
King Kutter Reversible Dirt Scoop — 30in., Model# DS-30 | Category 1 Scoops| Northern Tool + Equipment
I will be moving alot of material in the front loader bucket and got an idea that this would also be a good idea. when loaded it would give the ballast i need and then load the front bucket.
The dirt and stone needs to be tractored a good distance throught wooded area.
I also have a hyd top link so that might help in the dumping process. I imagine a small chai or rope on the cylinder and to the dump handle then when I extend the top link ram it would pull the dump lever.(just a thought)
One problem is it seems like it would be a one time use for me as I have a loader also but any info and opinions is very welomed. thanks

/ Dirt Scoop #2  
I have one that I use on the BX but I don't have a FEL on it. Depending on the size of your tractor IDK if you will get enough weight in the scoop to serve as a proper ballast. It takes a good bit of force to get it to dump. If you pull on the trip and extend your toplink it may be enough for gravity to work it. I usually get off the tractor and dump it.

Mine is a Leinabch

Scoop Pan Scoop pan [# 30] : Leinbach Machinery, Implements and attachments for agriculture and landscaping

If you could find another bucket and make it work on the 3PH you could move more material but IDK if you could get enough angle out of your toplink to dump it.

/ Dirt Scoop #3  
I had a 36" wide, cat 2 back in 2004. The hydraulic top link makes it work much better!
P7240526.JPG P7240527.JPG P7250533.JPG P7250536.JPG

No FEL on the tractor.

/ Dirt Scoop #4  
Has anyone made one of these scoops dump hydraulically rather than just with a trip rope, but other than with a hydraulic top link?

/ Dirt Scoop #5  
Has anyone made one of these scoops dump hydraulically rather than just with a trip rope, but other than with a hydraulic top link?

I have a King Kutter 3 pt scoop that I've used for many years on an open station tractor. Now I have a cab tractor and am researching converting the scoop's dump action to hydraulic. I'm thinking there are 2 approaches, trip the dump lever hydraulically or remove the trip lever and use hydraulics to tip (and reset) the bucket.

/ Dirt Scoop #6  
I have a 24" and a 30" dirt scoop (pond scoop?). The 24 came along when all I had was a Ford 1100 and it worked ok, except the tractor was a little bit low for it. The pins really needed to be lowered so the tractor could pick it up further for dumping. A friend had a 30" that looked new, except it had a rusted out bucket (from sitting in the dirt with water in it). I took a piece of 3/16" plate and made a new bucket. It really turned out pretty well, considering all I used was a torch, a welder and a chain fall to build it. My sheet metal brake won't do 3/16 and I wanted it to last, so I did it the old fashioned way. The 30" worked fine, but the main thing it was used for is digging out a ditch alongside a roadway that gets filled with sand from run-off. I just straddle the road with the tractor and run down it till the bucket is full, then go empty and spread it back on the roadway. Since I purchased another tractor with a loader, I haven't used either of them enough to justify them, but they don't eat much, so I keep them out back.
David from jax

/ Dirt Scoop #7  
I had an old Leinbach I used more for skidding logs than I did for digging. I put a pulley on the release rope that made it easier to operate.

20151111_085038.jpg

20151111_084410.jpg

/ Dirt Scoop #8  
I have used a cat#1 Scoop on both my AC with DIY 3pt hitch, no loader, and my MF with factory 3pt hitch and loader. Any ballast helps but I'd like to have a larger one for the MF not only for ballast but to move dirt faster. I don't feel enough need for a hydraulic trip to bother with one.

Mine is a Leinbach too.
Size of both tractors should be below my name to your left.

/ Dirt Scoop #9  
I’ve found that when set to dig good and I lift it up to go to where I want to dump it dribbles dirt when driving there.

If it could be hydraulically tilted that would fix that.

A hydraulic top link would work too.

/ Dirt Scoop #10