Comparison Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040?

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #1  

Boltzie42

Tractor
John Deere 301A
The 4wd M7040 with open cab, 8F/8R hydraulic shuttle, loaded rears, 4 plates, brushguard and canopy and 30 rears is coming in at $29500. The 5075E set up the same except 28 rears and 12f/12r shuttle is just over a $1000 more. I don't know much about tractors, but the JD looks to be built heavier and listed weight is only 200 lbs different. The Kubota felt more refined to me. JD has u-joint front end with planetary gear? and the Kubota has bevel gears at each wheel. I've read and been told the Kubota's are nice tractors and the 5075M John Deere is a better tractor to compare to the M7040 Kubota. A lot is made about the 5075E being built in India and the M is built in the U.S. How much does this matter? The Kubota only has one line and is made in Japan. A friend of mine that works for JD upped to a 5085E because he's been told to avoid the Indian-made E-series as it is made to compete with the lower-level tractors.

It's obvious to me that the NH TA4030 and new 4.75 is more along the lines of a JD M-series of equal size and the Workmaster line is an economy series. Where does the M7040 fall in comparison to these tractors and how does it stack up with the 5075E?

If the same price, what tractor would be more highly recommended by those in this forum? $30k is a lot to spend and I plan on having this tractor for at least 20-30 years.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #2  
the price for the 7040 is real good.if it was me id have no prob choosing the kubota over the jd.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #3  
Been running the M7040 for years without an issue. Running 12ft shredder to 5x4 round baler,it has done it. Around 400hrs on the new one first year,they get worked. Sounds like that tractor is already loaded and ready.

The JD5075M is in a league of its own, the equal tractor to those others will be close to 48/49,000.
The M7040(M7060),JD5075E,NH4.75 all comparable models
NH workmaster is more comparable SU tractors in Kubota

Last edited:
   / Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #4  
I'd rather have the M7040. That's a very good price!

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #5  
My M6040 has had no faults after four years. That is an exceptional price for a NEW M7040. No experience with a JD - - but I would not hesitate to buy one if it met my needs. Remember - a whole lot about tractor ownership revolves around the dealership and what type of service you can/will expect. Talk to the service manager/staff and see what kind of feeling you get. You will have to deal with these folks if your tractor has a problem.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #6  
IF they are the same price I would go with whichever is more comfortable to you and which dealer you feel most comfortable with.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #7  
Ok my dad had a JD 5074M with the "Made in USA" tag on it. Engine was made in Mexico. Transmission made in China. The castings for the frame were made in India. The hydrolics were made in Brazil. It was a trouble free tractor but they have now changed the tag to "Assembled in USA". Even quite a bit of my Kubota M7040 is made in USA. The tires the loader, bucket, roll over protection, and the seat. Frankly looks to me its about as much made in the USA as the JD M series. I've heard the JD loaders are made in Mexico also. And don't belive the JD salesmen on how much is made in Ga either. One told me he had seen them making the engines there.....and they never have that I know of.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #8  
I had a Kubota M6040 open station tractor and loved it. Went from that to a JD 5425M cab tractor. Also a very good piece of equipment, which will soon be replaced by a MF5609. Seems I've been gradually moving up in hp about every 5 years or so. All of them make good and not-so good machines.

It all comes down to which machine you want in your stable and the which dealer is going to offer you the support you want. For me, between the JD and the Kubota in this case, I would go orange.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #9  
Just from my little taste of the woods: I know three people with newer (2007 - 2010) Deeres. They all bought green because that is what everyone told them was best. They all hate their tractors, one of them has sold and moved to Kubota, one is contemplating selling and is looking at options, and the other is still making payments and is unsure of where to turn. The third guy actually prefers using my Farmall 60 to their 5305 Deere and the Case has proven to have fewer problems and is just as capable only falling short in stability on hills in comparison to the Deere.

/ Help deciding between John Deere 5075E and Kubota M7040? #10  
I looked at the Kubota and the JD when I was shopping. One of the main reasons for choosing the Kubota was that to get an American made engine in the JD I would have had to go up in size. I also didn't want the turbo and the M7040 is fuel injection.

I love my Big Orange and I have no complaints.

Charlie