Should I trade my Kubota in?

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #1  

Keadog

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L4300
I have a 2001 L4300 MT with Loader I bought new at that time. It was for a small hardwood tree farm and used very lightly. We sold the tree farm and now have a new parcel with 22 acres of pasture, plus woods and landscaped areas around the home. I would like to go to a wider cut with a PTO implement (9-12 feet) and it seems the 4300 might be underpowered for everything except the Land Pride 90" grooming mower; it certainly isn't rated for any batwing units. It will be used for small plot farming (soy/corn/oats/alfalfa), general loader work (stones, logs, etc) and non-farmed pasture maintenance.
My L4300 has been stored indoors since new, has AG tires in great shape and has been serviced regularly by the local Kubota dealer. New battery 2012 and new right rear tire and wheel at the same time. It has 212 (two hundred twelve) hours on it. So, my questions are:
1. What's a fair trade in value toward the purchase of a more powerful model? I can't find any comps on a rapid search.
2. What model would be reasonable to go to? One dealer has a MX5100 on the lot he's trying to sell me while another feels that while he can sell me the same tractor, he thinks it's worth the extra money to go to a 60HP. I've know dealer #2 for over 20 years and have bought 2 other Kubotas and some other stuff from him. I know his job is to make $, but his advice has been good overall through the years.
3. How afraid should I be of tier IV?
4. Would you go M or Grand L (I definitely want HST this time)?
5. I expect to put 100-150 hrs per year on whatever I get, so it should end up getting sold out of my estate :)
Thanks for the help!

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Can't answer all your questions but will hit a few.

If you have the resources and patience, I'd suggest selling the L4300 outright thru Craigslist or something similar. I'm afraid you'll get low balled on trade in.

Considering your land description, I think the L series would offer you a large enough tractor to do the work. I always recommend buying large, but not sure you have the need for anything bigger than L series. Not sure why you feel the need for a 9-12ft cutter with just 22 acres.

Tying into question 4, you can't get HST in the M series, strictly gear drive with synchro or hydraulic shuttle. Visit a dealer that has M and L series and look them over. Quite a jump in overall tractor size and capability. I started with a B series, then L series and now M series. Huge jump on that last one. I run a mounted 10' brush cutter with my M. Wouldn't even consider trying that with an L.

Don't be afraid of Tier IV. Only try to avoid it to save purchase cost since it raised the price considerably.

Keep us posted on your search and purchase.

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #3  
With a bit of creative balancing, you might be able to get by with the MX5100, my inclination is to go with a L5740 or L6060. I would also give very serious consideration to a cab, I didn't need one when I was younger, but now can't get by without one. A cab kept my father in law in the seat long after he could not handle the heat and cold of his open station tractor.

You can go to the Land Pride site and find cutters suitable for various models. If you aren't cutting heavy stuff an RC2512 looks like a good fit. I need a heavier cutter, so wouldn't get anything beyond an 8' for mine. We pull a Woods DS1260 with our M and sure wouldn't want it on the 5740.

Only one of many opinions I am sure as it is a somewhat mixed bag of requirements.

Good luck.

EDIT: I see Richard beat me and agree on the Tier IV, from owners here, its downside was over estimated by many including me; some things I don't like about the L60, but nothing serious beyond the initial cost and hose routing.

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #4  
Why 9-12' mower for only 22 acres? That is a huge overkill and will be very costly! I mow a lot more than that with a 6 footer...

Look hard at the MX5100, it is a lot of tractor for the money!

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #5  
I can't gauge whether 9-12 feet is an appropriate cutter size for you, but I don't think you could run one effectively with an MX5100. My MF has roughly similar specs to an MX5100...similar PTO HP, weighs 600lbs more, but is 2WD versus 4WD, and I don't see it running a 9ft cutter. I'm running a medium/heavy duty 6' cutter, and you hardly know it's there, so I'd like to move up to a 7' model, but I'd have to test run an 8' model before I'd consider buying one. I wouldn't even bother trying 9'+.

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #6  
A 5740 with a 8 foot mower and three Remotes with Top and Tilt, Oh Boy's.

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #7  
The MX5100 and a 8ft pull-type cutter should work good together on 22acres. I have a 8ft Landpride RCR3596 cost new was around $5,500,pulled it with a M5040,it is larger frame but same HP and handled it fine. If your cutting it regular I personally had no problem running a 12ft cutter behind my M5040 or a 15ft batwing and depending on your place the MX5100 or 50hp L and the lighter duty unit like the LP/Rhino 12ft batwing would probably work out, cut the seat time down for sure. The MX/L over a M series in tight conditions, working those small jobs around the house/barn or in the woods for sure.But if your wonting HST the M is out anyways.
I like the feel being outside on the openstation but love the cab when it comes to mowing and baling,so does my allergies.

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #8  
In general
Dealer trade in price = fair price - 50% OR

fair price - 50% + new tractor overcharge

Either way, they pay you the same amount for your used tractor

/ Should I trade my Kubota in? #9  
I would keep your current tractor. I don't think it is worth to step up to something like a MX5100. A MX5100 is not really any more capable of a tractor than what you already have, it is just more power. I understand if you want to get a new tractor. A hydro trans makes things nice. If were you I would get something like a L4240, L4740 or L4060 a L4760 with a cab. I'd rather have less power and a cab. The Grand L also has HST+ which really makes things nice. If you don't want a cab I would go with a MX5100, it is a really good value.

You will get your best deal if you can sell your tractor straight out. Here are some L4330's forsale so you can get a idea on price. http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?Manu=KUBOTA&MDLGrp=L4330

/ Should I trade my Kubota in?
Thanks for all the info! The new property is quite hilly and I would like to move to a HST, so there is some value there, even if I don't increase power. At this point, I'm leaning to the LP 90" finish mower, since my barn doors are only 9' wide and I don't want to have to park equipment outside. That was why I was looking at Batwing mowers before I realized I would have to add rear hydraulics.
The 0% financing helps make the prospect more attractive but I may end up buying the mower and add a canopy to my L4300. That would clearly be the most cost effective path, but I'm still wanting an HST. A cab would be great, but it seems like they charge $8K for it when I build a tractor on their site. I plow the driveway with my Ranger (which has a fabric cab), so I rarely use the Kubota in the winter. I really missed at least a sun shade this summer, tho!