Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal?

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #21  
Re: Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What\'s the deal?

You can buy Jinma new for about the price of a use grey market. That should tell you something though. If the new one isn't worth anymore than a 20 year tractor? The thing that would keep me from a Jinma is I understand they have quite a problem with seals leaking. And at 50 hours you have to retighten the head bolts and they say they are hard to get to, have to take off the valve train on some of them. Well, I havn't had one of those, so I can't say for sure.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #22  

<font color="blue"> You can buy Jinma new for about the price of a use grey market. That should tell you something though. If the new one isn't worth anymore than a 20 year tractor? The thing that would keep me from a Jinma is I understand they have quite a problem with seals leaking. And at 50 hours you have to retighten the head bolts and they say they are hard to get to, have to take off the valve train on some of them </font>

<font color="black"> One of the big reasons the Jinma is a value tractor is the fact that labor is very cheap in China. The second would be the Chinese are trying to break into the US markets. That said I have done some serious research on the Jinma tractor, and from what I have seen and read, it is a good solid machine. Plus with every year of sales in the US the Jinma people improve their product. Seal leak problems are as common in the Jinma as with any other new tractor that has been professionally assembled.

Being in the market myself I have looked at all the brands, and really like the Jinma. But, I want my wife to use the thing and that means Hydrostic, and unfortunately that excludes the Jinma option.

A good hard look at these tractors is worth your time.

Ender </font>

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #23  

I have a hinomoto e2004 24hp 20 pto hp for $4500 i've rebuilt the front axle cv joints to heavier units and has new front tires has 290 hrs on it. IF interested i'm looking to buy 30+hp one. Grey tractors are just tractors not intended to ship to usa. could be exact same tractor w/o decals or may just be different part #'s for specific rebrand like agco or massey or may have more pto speeds for foriegn attachments. All subcompact/compacts come from foriegn sources 90% of the time.

Hinomoto made agco allis and massey's up till 90's then iseki took over still today. JD had yanmar make theres i think there newest are made in SC but for the money why pay for a brand when it's a jap tractor anyway or all parts are from japan?

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #24  

Regardless of how much each person loves their chosen tractor the fact remains that market perception rules. A grey market may be the best value in the world likewise the Chinese. But if the vast majority of the public think their not a good value or worse, at some point if you decide you want to upgrade, the market for you to sell your tractor becomes much smaller.

I would find a good dealer and try a few tractors out. If you like the gear tractors and don't mind the lack of frills a grey or Chinese may be for you.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #25  

To try to get back to your post, yes the grey market tractors are a good value, and I would have to say the Jinma's probably are to, from what the people that have them say. And I don't have one, but from all the posts that I have read, say the Koyker is one of the top loaders and you couldn't hardly go wrong on one. If I were buying one, that is the kind I would buy.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #26  

I personally think Kioti would be a good compromise. They are building a growing U.S. dealer network, meaning you've got good parts support, not relying on an individual importer. They cost less than the big three, but more than a gray. From what I have read, they are of similar quality to the big three.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #27  

You made a statement that isn't really true. I can buy parts from a number of dealers other than the one I bought my Yanmar from. So we are not relying on an individual importer. Some dearler won't sell to us, if we didn't buy from them, but there aren't many. They all want to make a living, and selling parts is part of that to most of them. But I also agree with you on the Kioti, it will cost a little more than a grey or a Jinma, but it is built good and from all I have heard a good tractor. I live in a small place and we have Kioti dealer just about 14 miles away, that is closer than a John Deere.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #28  

One benefit of a jinma over a grey market japanese tractor is.. well.. at least it is designed for the american market.. i.e. has rops.. meats epa guidelines.. or has a valid exemption.. etc. pto shields.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #29  

Don't get dealers & importers confused, there tends to be many dealers for each importer. I bought a gray market 1984 SJ410 (pre-Samurai) which was imported into the U.S. from Puerto Rico via one importer and sold through a handful of legimate car dealers. When my exhaust went south, my dealer and the dealer on the other side of town couldn't help me since the one and only importer didn't import the part into the U.S. I ended up ordering the part from a Canadain Suzuki dealer with a high risk of it not fitting, since they weren't sure if Canadian Suzuki trucks had the same exhaust system as Puerto Rican Suzukis. That was pre-internet, so it was hard to find a car dealer in another country without a bunch of expensive phone calls. I lucked out and it fit.

I'm just trying to say there is some additional risk when you buy a product that isn't imported by the manufacturer. If the risk is acceptable to you, then go for it.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #30  

I think the grays can potentially be a good buy for the user that has experience with a tractor and good mechanical back ground. The trouble is that due to priceing they appeal to the first time buyer with little/no experience. This is where I personally feel the safety issues on the grays come into play. Those with more experience should already know the risks and can choose to accept them. The biggest problem with Grays, as I see it is the amount of research required to know there will be parts for the model/brand you buy. The biggest difficulty in shopping grays ( or any tractor ) is finding a reliable dealer. I went to several "dealers" that were little more than Bobs dumpy garage. I know there are good ones out their but with a FEL 4x4 you can expect to spend 7-9k from a larger reliable gray dealer. The Jinma and all its numerous other decals seems a great value. Parts should be relatively easy to get and they come with the modern safety features and a warranty. I havent had the chance to drive one yet but I think they are truelly an amazeing value. For that price I could deal with tightening the head bolts after the first 50 hours. Dave