Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal?

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #31  
Re: Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What\'s the deal?

I've driven one.. and it didn't scare me at all. I went to a homier tool sale, and they had them there.. and there was a large area to drive around in.. I was the only on ethere who was interested in driving them. Sounded a bit quieter than my 2 cyl yanmar.. but otherwise sounded ok. Ran fine as far as I'm concerned. I even drove the low end 2999.99 they had last year.. 20hp 2wd.. etc... I wouldn't have been afraid to take it home.. like you say.. I can tighten a bolt hear and there, and change an o-ring.

Obviously some castings and other fit and finish things were not up to domestic model snuff. or even to old yanmar imports.. but looked decent enough.

Soundguy

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #32  

I own my jinma;

and can say I haven't worryed about the 50 head re-torque, but do kep up on the oil changes ect. I blew out a couple o-rings, but those were right up fornt and easy fixes as the bolts were loose at a spot I didn't think to check. no big deal lots of power, had the fornt wheels off the ground pulling stumps with the FEL on and loaded with dirt too!

Not too many owners of 20K machines will do that with them...

I also agree with others, the greys are lacking in safety equipment and as a NEW owner the SAFETY stuff is vvery important.

I know of 2 kinma roll overs where no one was hurt and no damage was done. both due to NEW owners not paying clase enough to what was going on and having the wheels set to min foot print. (I keep mine set wide at fornt and narrow at back, tires then mesh in same foot prints.)

anyhow parts are redily available and so is sound advice for repairs if needed.
mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal?

Wow. Thanks for the help folks - I really appreciate all the input - this is a great platform from which to start the decision making process. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the near future - feel free to keep posting if anything else comes to mind.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #34  

GMO750,
I didn't look at the grey market line but I did go, I guess you could say, middle-of-the-road with a Mahindra 2810 (28hp 4x4). From on my comparisons I believe you simply get more tractor for less money when compared to the mainstream big-3. I believe the same holds true with Century and Branson and some of the other "off-brands". It may also hold true for grey markets although I really didn't shop them enough to say.

I do want to point out that I've never been a believer in purchasing extended warranties or paying extra for a name sake which may not be your style. For my purposes I am not considering selling so the re-sale debate, whether valid or not, was a moot point. The dealer I purchased from was 60 miles away and had just recently opened his business. He seemed kinda shade-tree so I would be somewhat surprised if he is still in business. He wasn't the closest Mahindra dealer and certainly wasn't the biggest but he did offer the lowest price so he got my money.

In any case, I haven't talked to him since he delivered the tractor in June 2002 - haven't needed to which is what I expect from a new tractor. I have 230 hours on the tractor and have performed all the maintenance myself. The warranty expired last June (they may carry a 2 year warranty now) which I never had to use so I cannot argue how well they stand behind their warranty. But again, that's what I expect with a new tractor.

The only parts I've purchased have been the filters which I walk in and buy over the counter from a local dealer. If I ever do have a need for real parts, I'll let you know if the parts issue is really a concern.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #35  

It looks like nobody really said this in this thread, so I'll throw it in.

One way to get a Chinese Jinma clone with a little extra American support on your side would be to buy a NorTrac from Northern Tool (formerly Northern Hydraulics). One of their people answered a few questions in the Chinese Tractors section of this forum a while back and I was favorably impressed by his story.

Check out www.NorthernTractor.com. They have a brochure there that you can download with prices.

I haven't any personal experience with them, but they do appear to be making the attempt to support what they sell, based on the earlier posts I read.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #36  
I have had a lot of tractors and it really comes down to what are you really going to do with it?
Had lots of older American tractors. They all could do a great job for what they were intended for. Parts everywhere.
Also had a Romanian ddiesel tractor with a loader. Really liked it but my area has lots of angles and hills. Needed a 4x4 one.
Had a grey Mitsubishi 24hp with a locally made loader put on it.
Loved it!! Quiet- sipped fuel 3 gallons in a hard working weekend. Problem was I used the loader for lots of things and the tractor was not designed for the loads. Broke the front axle housing because it didnt have the strength.
Looked for a great used US branded on but they were beat up, lots of hours and cost about what a new one was.
Next I looked at a Korean Kioti.
They are made as well as any comparable in their class but had about 20-30% more mass/weight. Built to work.
Bought a really low hour used one at a great price. Seems like I was the only one to look at it.
I sofar have put about 400 hours on it in the last couple years. Hydrostatic drive Power steering etc and its been great. What i Really like about it is that It has good lifting capability and the hydraulics wont overlift more than its designed for. the drivetrain is overbuilt and does everything I need. Another great thing is the quick attach loader. Really nice for swapping front mounted attachments.
Also very decent on fuel. Its running about 3 hours per gallon.
Kioti also has a American Factory and has a great parts system as well when needed.
I dont see getting rid of this anywhere in the near future......unless.... I find a bigger one at a great price.

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #37  
Holy 16 YEAR old thread Batman!!!

Will there be a sweet 16 party? Cake and ice cream? Who blows out the candles?

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #38  
LOL!!!!

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #39  
Holy 16 YEAR old thread Batman!!!

Will there be a sweet 16 party? Cake and ice cream? Who blows out the candles?

:laughing::laughing::laughing: . .

/ Grey Market, Cheap Market...... What's the deal? #40  
And to go right along with this 16 year old thread. We have our 2003 FarmPro 2420 still in use. It's got about 400 hrs on it so not heavily used and it works fine still for Grass cutting duties. Not the best machine in the world but for the initial $3500 price it's been good. (with the right repairs of course)

Steve