Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    None

Default Buy or rent when needed?

We are building a small cabin on 5 mostly wooded acres. It has some mowing, driveway maintenance, dirt work, brush clearing, and firewood hauling to be done. I'm not sure yet how much I really need a tractor. I may be better off just renting what ever I need, when I need it but I'm having fun looking. I think what I need is something in the 30-40 hp range. I would want a front end loader, bush hog, a finish mower, and maybe a post hole digger. A backhoe attachment would be nice but don't think it would be worth the money.
    kubota seems to be the most popular followed by JD, New Holland, Kioti, and Mahindra, in that order. Kubota was my first choice but they seem to be lighter than a similar powered Kioti. I've read reviews of each but everybody has their own horror story about a machine or a dealer.

Which is the most reliable and trouble free? L series Kubota or DK series Kioti, possibly a CK35 HST? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Default Re: Buy or rent when needed?

What Dealers are in say 50 miles from you?
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota B21

All major brands of tractors are reliable to a degree. Start with Murphy's question and from there go to budget allowance then finish up with color preference.

Personally, I'd buy, not rent for many reasons not the least of which is the high resale value on any brand.
    Last edited by troutsqueezer; 10-17-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    - Dennis

Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com
    Kubota B21
    Polaris Ranger
    Yamaha Kodiak

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

You don't mention $$.
    If $$ are tight remember that a tractor BY ITSELF is nothing more than an engine on wheels. What makes it useful is attachments. A rope or chain may be the most simple attachment it would help you move logs around. My most complex attachment is a Woods BH70X backhoe, if you look at my avatar you can see it helps me move logs around also.
    The point is be sure to budget $$ for attachments.

Are you buying new or used? I bought used to stretch my dollar.

Are you comfortable with minor wrenching? If you are that's great, often a trip to the dealer involves $$$ for trailering it back and forth.

Do you have a trailer to haul it? See above.

How soon do you need it? If your buying used take your time, if your buying new you might want to do it quick before all the Tier 4 kicks in.

Most major brands in the 30 to 40HP range are pretty reliable. Kioti tends to be heavier than kubota. John Deere tends to be more expensive than the rest.

Write down ALL the jobs you envision doing and determine what implements you will need and what horsepower they will require.

For example if you want to be able to pick up a 10' long 20" round log you need a lift capacity of about a ton.

If you need to brush hog with an 8' hog you need about 40HP or more.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

Small tractor rent from sunbelt rentals is in the range of $800/month with loader and Either a box blade Or bushhog. If your going to rent one week per year I can see the savings, but if you rent 3/year, you could me making a lot of payments with that money. Just food for thought. By small I mean 35-45hp.

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Have you had previous experience with tractors?

I would not want to learn on a rental, not knowing who had abused it during prior rentals.

Operating a tractor is potentially dangerous.

I am a generous person but in the 2-1/2 years I have owned my kubota, only the Kubota mechanic and I have operated my tractor.

Tractor
    None

I have been watching craigslist for used with something less that 500 hours. It seems they hold their value very well so I might not be saving a lot with used. kubota is the closest dealer, less than 10 miles followed by JD. The others are around but not quite as close. Minor to medium wrenching is not a problem. No idea what tier 4 is. No trailer yet. The rental thing might be better because of being able to rent a skidsteer, excavator, tractor, etc depending on what specific need I have at the time.
    Thanks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L3800 HST

If you are going to be living in a cabin in the woods w/ acreage there will be hundreds of uses for that tractor that crop up daily/weekly. Sure you could rent for specific projects, but owning and having one available all the time would be extremely useful. My opinion is that if you are planning to live there full time for an appreciable amount of years you should bite the bullet and buy one.
    L3800 HST, Landpride 72" rotary cutter, Wallenstein BX42 chipper, FEL, BH77, 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 241, Massey Ferguson 2244 crawler

I think redsox1 hit the nail on the head....living in a cabin in the woods with some land, you're going to find uses for the tractor that you never even think about now. The beauty of modern tractors is that they have essentially 100 years of development by the agricultural community, making them incredibly versatile. If you can think of a task, somebody probably came up with an implement the tractor can run. Need an emergency generator? Get one that hooks up to the PTO. Need to grind stumps? Get a PTO powered stump grinder. Need to....you get the idea. In many cases, a tractor was the only mobile, reliable power on a farm, so they had to adapt it to do anything that needed getting done...hence all the implements and attachments.

The only thing I would say about brands is that all of the ones you mentioned make good machines in the size range you're talking about, but realize that not all make their own machines. Of the brands you mentioned, I wouldn't recommend buying a New Holland Boomer 30/40/50 (or the equivalent Case Farmall B) because you can buy the same machine from the original manufacturer (LS) for thousands less. NH (and Case) put their own, weaker, loader on them, and sells them for literally $6-10K more than if they have LS stickers.

Veteran Member
    Fanning Springs, Gilchirst County, North-Central Florida
    Tractor
    Kubota Tractor Loader L3560 HST 37-hp / 5,400 pounds

Budget for enclosed, humidity controlled storage for your tractor. I use a $300 Frigidaire dehumidifier in my garage. Install a door tall enough so tractor can enter with ROPS up. Inside you will be aware of fluid leaks early and can tighten fittings as necessary.

Most implements can be stored outside, under canvas tarpaulins, but it is better to keep the tractor indoors away from rodents and rust free.

Do you have a driveway to maintain? How long? Gravel? Snow?
    Last edited by jeff9366; 10-18-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast