Buying Advice Anyone have LS experience?

/ Anyone have LS experience? #1  

ucfd070

Tractor
none
Hi, I haven't pulled the trigger on the MX5100 yet. There is an LS dealer no too far and they have a LS4047HST with FEL for 23,500. Sounds like a good deal but Im wary of the company. Does anyone know about them? Pros? Cons? Any owners want to chime in? Thanks, Shawn

/ Anyone have LS experience? #2  
GManbart and TSO do- I think i'm sure someone will be along soon. if not try posting in the LS forum.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #3  
I own an LS R3039H, and I've been extremely satisfied with my tractor. I feel that the LS tractors are one of the best values out there. There are plenty of well satisfied LS owners here on the forum, and I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. LS has built tractors for a number of brands over the years, and has one of the better warranties. Their R series tractors come with standard equipment that are "options" on most other brands, i.e. dual rear remotes, extendable 3 pt links, rear work lights, draft control, loaded seat, cruise, etc. Check them out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much tractor you'll get for your money.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #4  
I have an LS R3039 with shuttle shift, I agree with what rwork says.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #5  
I own an LS R3039H, and I've been extremely satisfied with my tractor. I feel that the LS tractors are one of the best values out there. There are plenty of well satisfied LS owners here on the forum, and I'm sure they'll chime in shortly. LS has built tractors for a number of brands over the years, and has one of the better warranties. Their R series tractors come with standard equipment that are "options" on most other brands, i.e. dual rear remotes, extendable 3 pt links, rear work lights, draft control, loaded seat, cruise, etc. Check them out, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much tractor you'll get for your money.

I took delivery of my R3039H early July. Very satisfied with the tractor and dealer.

Look up LS Tractor USA on Wikipedia, good history of the company.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #6  
I have an R4047H, and I'm extremely happy with it. In a perfect world, there are a couple of things I'd tweak, but none are really significant to how I use mine. In no particular order, I'd like the FEL to have 10-12" more total lift, I'd like a bit more space between the left side brake pedals and the fender, I'd steal Kioti's rear 3pt control lever idea, and I'd make the seat go farther back for the tall guys (it's fine for me).

My two neighbors are helping me build an an outbuilding/shop, and the one guy has a tracked Bobcat, full-size backhoe, full-size excavator, two dozers, full-size road grader, 3 tractor-trailers, etc, etc….he jumped on my LS today while we were moving some dirt, and getting the plumbing roughed in, and he was like a kid in a candy store. He's crawled all over it a couple of times, and repeatedly commented on how heavily built it appears….that was my impression before I bought it.

Other than the 50hr service, mine hasn't needed anything done to it aside from two minor repairs that were my fault. I bounced my mower sideways off a stump, and broke one of the 3pt stabilizer bars, and hit a big chunk of concrete (like a 1,000lb piece) buried in a pile of dirt, and bent the link arms on one side of the FEL at the bucket (everything was still working). The second was bad luck as it hit the far end of the bucket….if it was in the center, I think nothing would have bent. I welded up the 3pt link, and it's still going strong, but bought a set of replacements for both sides (less than $100 total). The link arms were maybe $75 total to replace, and took all of 5min to swap out.

I paid $21,500 out the door, and going off the quotes, and reports of actual prices paid, on similarly equipped MX-5100s lately, I wouldn't think twice about buying another LS. The MX-5100 is a quality machine, no question about it, so I won't knock it as a product, but people keep saying they're paying over $30K for them. Worse, if you finance it, you have to pay another $1500-2000 in insurance through Kubota. It winds up that people are paying darned near 50% more for a machine that can do a similar amount of work, and I just can't see how that makes sense.

Here she is helping to build her new home….those are heavy 4x8' concrete forms (several people have asked). They use them vertically for 8' basement walls, and horizontally for half walls like in the picture.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #7  
FWIW I will give my opinion.

The Kubota is top end equipment, the LS is good quality equipment. Are you going to put on 1,000 or more hours per year or are you going to put on 250 hours or less? What is the cost per HP and the cost for amenities? What are your basic requirements and needs? How will you be expanding or contracting your current operation in five years? What is the warranty? How do you get along with the dealership? Local reputation?

Each brand has weaknesses and strengths. Each brand has a different feel. Have you sat on both and driven them around the lot? They will feel different. You will find one easier to use than the other. This might be the final criteria for you to buy.

For your basic needs I would compare the pricing of the LS and Kubota. I would not be scared to own and operate an LS. We are even kicking around getting rid of the family JD and moving to an LS or Kubota or Case in order to gain on reliability (the JD keeps breaking down).

When we made our personal purchase decision we based it upon $/HP and the ability of the unit to meet a minimum specification for work. The Case came in FAR cheaper than other equipment of what I considered a similar level of quality or higher. LS was in that grouping as was Kubota. The family just bought green because "that is what everyone does." They regret it.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #8  
I think the real value tractor in the LS line is the U5030, I'd compare that with the MX5100, not the 4047. Clearly now you have the LS that exceeds the MX5100 in every respect for less money. There are both LS and Kubota in the family. The LS is a Cadillac compared to the Kubota. It's fit finish, quality of materials, assembly are superior and impressive, at the 55hp need you will not find a finer tractor. The 3.3l Mitsubishi engine is incredible, smooth, powerful, nothing like cubic inches. I looked at the MX5100 for my property but I really didn't need that much tractor, I thought the controls were a little UN ergonomic, but I did like the old school feel, it's a nice tractor, and will become iconic design in time. If I needed 55hp, I would have bought another LS U5030 if my property required that much HP. The LS was bought for my sons place 55 acres of cattle pasture, it's a real nice machine, bought in 2011, no issues. I did buy a Kubota L3800 for my property of 17.5 acres, I just think at that HP Kubota really has a fine design in the gear model, it's not as comfortable as the LS by any stretch, or as smooth a running tractor. HS

Last edited:
   / Anyone have LS experience? #9  
I think the real value tractor in the LS line is the U5030, I'd compare that with the MX5100, not the 4047. Clearly now you have the LS that exceeds the MX5100 in every respect for less money. There are both LS and Kubota in the family. The LS is a Cadillac compared to the Kubota. It's fit finish, quality of materials, assembly are superior and impressive, at the 55hp need you will not find a finer tractor. The 3.3l Mitsubishi engine is incredible, smooth, powerful, nothing like cubic inches. HS

Huh? The R4047 and MX5100 are extremely closely matched....the MX has a bit more PTP HP, the LS has a bit more FEL capacity, etc, etc....all the specs are in the same ballpark.

The U5030 weighs 1,000lbs more than the MX5100, can lift 1,200lbs more on the 3pt, has 500lbs more FEL capacity with 5" higher max height, and 6hp more at the PTO. There really isn't any comparison between the two.

/ Anyone have LS experience? #10  
Huh? The R4047 and MX5100 are extremely closely matched....the MX has a bit more PTP HP, the LS has a bit more FEL capacity, etc, etc....all the specs are in the same ballpark. The U5030 weighs 1,000lbs more than the MX5100, can lift 1,200lbs more on the 3pt, has 500lbs more FEL capacity with 5" higher max height, and 6hp more at the PTO. There really isn't any comparison between the two.
That's my point, there the same price, it's a no brainier.