Same (Italian) tractor

/ Same (Italian) tractor #1  

farmyid

Bronze Member
Tractor
Century 3040
Hello All,
I stumbled across a dealer who sells "Same" trators, made by Lamborgini and was surprised to find them very competitive with the big three. he quoted me $19K for a 45 horse 3,500 plus pound tractor with a Hardy FEL, HST, big height and tires and the most beautiful heated and air conditioned cab I've seen plus lots of neat features you would expect on a well designed Euro machine. Also the engine which is air cooled is supposed to last longer and burn more efficiently than even the Japanese engines. TGTBT? (to good to be true?) I am going to drive up and see it, but wondered if anyone out there owns one and has an opinion. Mark

/ Same (Italian) tractor #2  
I don't know about SAME brand tractors, but I do know that before Lamborgini starting making $250,000 sports cars, they were a tractor company of long standing in Europe and were known for building quality tractors. They also dabbled in 4x4's designed to tackle the Saraha desert. IF it is true that Same is Lamborgini, then it probably is a good tractor. But what about parts availability? How long has the dealer represented them? What is the dealer's reputation? Etc. . .

/ Same (Italian) tractor #3  
I echo Bob's comments regarding parts and service. I hadn't heard of Same so I did a quick web search. They are real sharp looking tractors and one can almost see the Lamborghini styling in them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I see what you mean about the cabs. I also understand they are the third leading tractor manufacturer in western Europe. Of course that doesn't help much if you have to go to western Europe for parts.

/ Same (Italian) tractor #4  
My Massey dealer, also sell Same tractors. He has told me that he has no problem getting parts what so ever. He had Mahindra for a while and had nothing but problems getting parts for them. I do need to say that he sold only the larger Ag models and not compacts. I know more than one person that has a Same and they really like them.

/ Same (Italian) tractor
yeah, but wouldn't that be a great excuse to go to italy for a week? 'Scuse me darlin i have to run down to the parts store for a new fuel filter ... Mark
PS I'll keep you updated next week when I see them. Is 2.5 hours away just TOO FAR to go?

/ Same (Italian) tractor #6  
IS 2.5hrs TOO FAR?

That depends on what else is available. Within 8 miles of my doorstep I have JD, Kubota, Cub, NH, WHITE/AGCO. Within 30 miles of my house I have MULTIPLE JD, Kubota, Cub and NH. So in my case I would not consider many other very fine tractors like Kioti, Massy or maybe even Same.

I guess I would not drive 2.5 hours each way to save $1000, if I knew I had to make a few return trips each year every year for the next 5, 10 or 15 years. Now if I was a better mechanic (I am not) and I felt like stocking all the common filters, belts, hoses, fluids and maybe even a few hard parts, then I might go past all the dealerships to save the $1000. But those parts might cost me $500 to keep in my garage and that reduces my savings.

If money was more critical than time, and if I really liked the tractor that much more, then I would consider the drive reasonable. But I'd still want the spare parts bin full of misc. stuff in my garage.

Also, I believe that most people do not have access to as many dealerships as I do as close as I do so I am very fortunate to have lots of choices locally. If you are not in that position, then you may be driving 1 or 2 hours to the dealer anyway, so what is the big deal about driving 2.5 if the local Cub, or Massy, or Kubota dealers is 1.5 or 2 hours away?

All that said, I would drive 5 or 6 hours to find a good antique Oliver to restore, but that is a whole different type of conversation...

/ Same (Italian) tractor #7  
What's really interesting is that, at least in their Garden tractor category (25hp - 42 hp), it looks like there's a front mounted PTO. One of the pictures showed a tractor mowing with a front finish type mower. The tractor also had a cool kind of canvas covering that covered not only the top, but came down in back also.

There was no dealer locator that I saw on the web site, but when I clicked Locations (or something like that), a dealer in Stone Mountain, GA was listed as the North American office. Obviously there are other dealers around, as evidenced by JerryG's comment about the one in Arkansas. But without e-mailing the main office, I don't know how you could find out about other dealer locations.

/ Same (Italian) tractor #8  
SAME owns Lamborghini,Hurlimann,and Deutz-Fahr(used to be called SLH=SAME,Lambo,Hurlimann/now called SD-F,SAME,Deutz-Fahr). AGCO has used SLH tractors for many years,and the new GT is from SD-F. Their NA office is in stone Mt.GA. www.sameduetz-fahr.com for the main site in Italy,or www.samedeutzfahr.com for the NA site.

/ Same (Italian) tractor #9  
I took a look at all 4 or 5 tractor sites that are owned by the group. The cabs on some of them look very similar to the cabs on the New Holland TN series tractors which are also built in Italy. Much of the glass, and metal frame looks the same. The only major difference was that the ac on the New Hollands seems better integrated as it is not mounted on top of the cab as it is in at least some of the SAME tractors. Perhaps the cabs are made by the same company?

Andy

/ Same (Italian) tractor #10  
Does anyone know of any dealers that have websites to get a better look at them?