Buying Advice Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526 #1  

wvbuzzmaster

Tractor
Farmall
I will start by introducing myself. I am Casey, and in my 20s, and ready to buy a new tractor to last my lifetime. I am heavy into the old Farmall tractors and have a Farmall Cub, and three project Farmalls being an A, B, and 200. However, I will not be buying a new Farmall, because there are not any dealers near me.

Anyway, on to my buying comparison. With today's tractors I know it doesn't matter so much the name on the hood, but how I like the operation of the controls, and to drive them, and yes, I have been here reading around for the last week or so, decided I better just sign up lol.

My goals are simple, I want larger than the Sub-Cut classification, but it can't be all that much bigger to be honest. My property is around 11 acres, but 7 of that is a hill, which is leased out, and maintained by the leasing party, so nothing I need to do up there. The 3 or so acres we actually use are fairly cluttered, and manuverability of whatever I purchase is a must, and the Farmall Cub is just about the biggest tractor that I can actually use around the property, and that is without an FEL. So my reason for wanting a new tractor is that I want to have the FEL and a real tiller about 4 foot wide , which the garden is 40 ft x 50 ft. The garden tractors are no longer working for me there. I also have this feeling steering brakes and quick attach bucket is what I want, especially to use pallet forks on the loader, or nothing on the arms when tilling. I hate to have to yank the loader all off of it. I do plan rear blade and 4 foot brush hog to be possibilities in the next few years.

So anyway, been looking at tractors and so far, the Kubota B2320 looks to be the best on price and compactness, but lacks in all the features I feel I could want, such as position control on the 3 pt and the pedal configuration is goofy to me. So kinda out with those, mostly. Besides that, the salesman I talked to told me flat out that the B3200 QA would not fit the B2920 (i thought about more hp) in a million years and quoted me the B3200 immediately and asked if it was really worth 3 grand for QA (based of the B2320 quote). So basically he really pissed me off by pushing his opinion on me, because I have been reading here, and know at least 5 of you guys did it.

The B2320 with loader and tiller was $17,000
The B2920 with loader and tiller was $19,200
The B3200 with loader and tiller was $20,600

The John Deeres I looked at was the 2025R which I didnt like at all, looked cheap with the plastic floor and what not, so I looked more at the 2032R. Which the 2032R kept me sitting up a little better, didn't feel the steering was too far away like the Bota, and I liked the pedal configuration, even before driving, which I haven't driven any of them yet. It has the QA on the bucket already, but the dealer has yet to get any loaders in for the 2 series. The Deere dealer is the closest of all of them, and pretty decent, helpful enough. The Deere salesman told me that when buying a tiller for the Compacts, it is important to get one designed for the compacts, which sounds like good advice.

The dealer quoted me around $21,000 for the 2032R with loader and tiller.
The 2025R was around 16 or 17 thousand equipped the same, but lot less of a tractor in my opinion.

So anyway, got tipped off on the Massey Ferguson, and kinda liking on the 1526 or 1529. Supposedly they operate similar to the Deere setup. I haven't gone to look at them yet, but read everyone that has one likes them, so far. I guess I want to get more input. So far not sure on QA or fork availability. Planning to go check out the Massey dealer this Saturday, but I do like to have a lot of preliminary information ahead of time. and so far the numbers the Massey have are pretty good. It gets the most engine hp to the rear PTO with the lowest hp loss through the hydro.

I do feel my magic number needs to be about 20 PTO Hp, but I dont know why anymore. I feel like I am on the right track, but not sure where I stand in my so far unbalanced comparison of unbalanced equipment. Anyone have anything to offer me in my hunt for the right machine. I figured early on I would be around $20,000 with whatever I buy. And yes, I probably am crazy lol.

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526 #2  
No, you are not crazy and your concerns and perceptions were well presented. It sounds like you know your tractors. I did have a Kubota B2920 (now a B3300) and you are right and the Kubota salesman was wrong about the q/a for the forks from a B3200/3300 fitting on that line. You are also right about the goofy steering brake setup and since I don't pull a plow with my 3300 that isn't really a concern. About all of the machines you listed have enough pto for a 4' tiller or Brush hog. I think you will like what you find with the Massey's when you check them out based on your observations and wants. Look online at the Massey website and you will find that the 1529 has your list of wants pretty much covered. On the Kubotas you listed I would add the 2620 from that line and if you do not need a mid pto consider the 3300. Btw, pallet forks are great and I think with the Massey 1529 you can get a skid steer q/a...not sure on the 1526. On the Kubota's listed it is a proprietary q/a but it works for me. What style of tires do you want? Anyway, good luck on your search and post the results of the winner!

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526 #3  
Welcome to TBN. Your doing a good job interviewing these machines but you need to do it with Key on. 20Hp is a good number for 4' implements.

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526
The Bota B2620 was on the list too, but left it out just because I Was starting to get a long post lol. I am planning on getting the R4 tires regardless the brand. I also don't need to pull any plows with the tractor, as I do have the Farmall Cub for that. I do need to start driving these tractors, but hadn't started since the Deere didn't have the loaders yet. Thought I needed to visit all these dealers a few times each anyway.

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526 #5  
Have you looked at Kioti? I had a CK20s HST that had position control, suspension seat, cruise ... And a good loader. Paid $12,700 new (and sold it a year later for $11,700 with around 100-200 hrs). Only sold it to upgrade size. It was a very good tractor and was a little workhorse.

The ck20s did not have the option for quick attach tho. However, you can step up slightly in size to a ck27/ck30 and get that option. I think you can also then add extendable 3pt link arms as an option.

For reference, the ck20s was nearly identical in size to my buddies B2920, so it's worth a compare. The Kioti was slightly heavier, and had a slightly stronger loader.

I don't have any experience with the Deere or Massey, so I can't speak to them. The B2920 (and 2320/2620 to be sure) was a nice tractor. It would be worth your time to check out the Kioti tho...

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526 #6  
Sounds like you're doing the right thing by trying them out. On the kubota the seat has a slide adjustment, so the steering won't be too far away (it's a lever on the right side). When I was looking I originally wanted position control, but quickly came to the conclusion that I don't really need it. Based on your tasks you likely won't miss it either. I haven't missed it on what I got (b2920). After having used the pedal configuration I really like it, especially for loader work because you don't have to lift that foot at all and just rock your foot. Obviously not ideal for steering with brakes (which I rarely do, but you may). Based on your task check out the hydro speeds in the various ranges on each machine. You won't be doing any work in high probably. I find I use medium 99% of the time, which was only available on the kubota (I looked at kubota and deere), not sure if the others have it.

You can't go wrong with any of the models, so try to get some seat time if you can and you'll probably develop a strong preference (I did about 30 - 60 minutes on each model just going around the parking lot).

Good luck and enjoy the process!!

I will probably use low range the most as I have a lot of obstacles lol. Kinda anxious to check out the Massey and see what I think of it.

/ Kubota B2920 vs Deere 2032R vs Massey 1526 #8  
wvbuzzmaster
I found the b2620 to be light in the front end when bushing hogging without the loader on. The operator platform always felt cramped to me. I am 6', and when operating the b2620 for several hours my right knee would ache. I never had that problem on the BX25 or the B3200. No position control on the smaller B's. A 5ft tiller is a good fit on the B3200.
I am not pushing Kubota. These are my thoughts with what I have experienced.:2cents:

Took a bit of time off from this cause I could not justify having a new tractor I don't use.... Currently thinking about looking for a good used machine that will do what I want without the expense. Not sure if it is going to happen. Considering even going ... Sub-compact right now ... But only if I can find a good deal for me. Not sure anything right now on this.