Price Check "Price too good to be true"

/ "Price too good to be true" #1  

nomad

Platinum Member
Tractor
MH744
\"Price too good to be true\"

This statement has always attracted my attention.

Is there any bad smell in the backgrounds of these products for which this expression "price too good to be true" is used?

/ "Price too good to be true" #2  
Re: \"Price too good to be true\"

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This statement has always attracted my attention.)</font>

The statement that catches my attention is "The tractor is overbuilt".
Overbuilt /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif There is no such thing , Adequate maybe !

/ "Price too good to be true" #3  

Actually I can think of a few models of overbuilt tractors.. namely anything built in the 30's with more or less moders setups, that are still doing real work today. For instance, Fords 9n, started production in 1939.. that makes those models about 64 years old now. Many of these units are still working..doing real farm chores... probably a few with no rebuild.. that is phenominal lifespan design...You don't see things like that today enginered for that life/duty cycle.. seems everything today is disposable.. even autos...

soundguy

/ "Price too good to be true" #4  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( seems everything today is disposable.. even autos... )</font>

Especially autos!!!!!! But it beats walking to work.

Brad

/ "Price too good to be true" #5  

However "over......." anything is generally considered bad, as in overgrown, overpriced, overweight. "Overbuilt" is a "good thing". I used to repair cash registers, many of which are still working today after 75, 80, even 100 years.

/ "Price too good to be true" #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The statement that catches my attention is "The tractor is overbuilt".
Overbuilt There is no such thing , Adequate maybe !
)</font>

If I build a loader that I rate for 1000 pounds and do extensive testing and shear off the loader pins at 1001 pounds you could say that is adequate. But if I want to be shure I can increase the guage of steel I use and icrease every aspect of the loader and double the load the loader can handle to 2002 pounds before it breaks but still rate it for 1000 pounds. Is that not overbuilt?

/ "Price too good to be true" #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I build a loader that I rate for 1000 pounds and do extensive testing and shear off the loader pins at 1001 pounds you could say that is adequate. But if I want to be shure I can increase the guage of steel I use and icrease every aspect of the loader and double the load the loader can handle to 2002 pounds before it breaks but still rate it for 1000 pounds. Is that not overbuilt? )</font>

That would be considered overbuilt if a compact tractor mfg. actually designed tractors using that formula.

/ "Price too good to be true" #8  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( everything today is disposable.. even autos...
)</font>

Are you referring to todays autos which easily blow past 200K miles, or the good old ones, that fell apart by 100K?

/ "Price too good to be true" #9  

That was the way engineers had to think, before they got computers. Still wouldn't hurt, and better materials would make for good products. Outside of autos and computers I haven't had anything that wasn't good value for the money.

/ "Price too good to be true" #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Outside of autos and computers I haven't had anything that wasn't good value for the money. )</font>

I have to say I think the fact that I have found such a great bunch of people and such a wealth of information from this forum alone... makes my computer the deal of the century.