Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    MH744

Default "Price too good to be true"

This statement has always attracted my attention.

Is there any bad smell in the backgrounds of these products for which this expression "price too good to be true" is used?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

Default Re: "Price too good to be true"

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This statement has always attracted my attention.)</font>

The statement that catches my attention is "The tractor is overbuilt".
    Overbuilt [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] There is no such thing , Adequate maybe !

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Actually I can think of a few models of overbuilt tractors.. namely anything built in the 30's with more or less moders setups, that are still doing real work today. For instance, Fords 9n, started production in 1939.. that makes those models about 64 years old now. Many of these units are still working..doing real farm chores... probably a few with no rebuild.. that is phenominal lifespan design...You don't see things like that today enginered for that life/duty cycle.. seems everything today is disposable.. even autos...

soundguy

Gold Member
    Tractor
    TC24D

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( seems everything today is disposable.. even autos... )</font>

Especially autos!!!!!! But it beats walking to work.

Brad

Elite Member

However "over......." anything is generally considered bad, as in overgrown, overpriced, overweight. "Overbuilt" is a "good thing". I used to repair cash registers, many of which are still working today after 75, 80, even 100 years.

Tractor
    A very tired Case 580 (looking to downsize)

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The statement that catches my attention is "The tractor is overbuilt".
    Overbuilt There is no such thing , Adequate maybe !
    )</font>

If I build a loader that I rate for 1000 pounds and do extensive testing and shear off the loader pins at 1001 pounds you could say that is adequate. But if I want to be shure I can increase the guage of steel I use and icrease every aspect of the loader and double the load the loader can handle to 2002 pounds before it breaks but still rate it for 1000 pounds. Is that not overbuilt?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK 35

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I build a loader that I rate for 1000 pounds and do extensive testing and shear off the loader pins at 1001 pounds you could say that is adequate. But if I want to be shure I can increase the guage of steel I use and icrease every aspect of the loader and double the load the loader can handle to 2002 pounds before it breaks but still rate it for 1000 pounds. Is that not overbuilt? )</font>

That would be considered overbuilt if a compact tractor mfg. actually designed tractors using that formula.

Tractor
    Deere 4310 HST MFWD

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( everything today is disposable.. even autos...
    )</font>

Are you referring to todays autos which easily blow past 200K miles, or the good old ones, that fell apart by 100K?

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

That was the way engineers had to think, before they got computers. Still wouldn't hurt, and better materials would make for good products. Outside of autos and computers I haven't had anything that wasn't good value for the money.

Tractor
    A very tired Case 580 (looking to downsize)

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Outside of autos and computers I haven't had anything that wasn't good value for the money. )</font>

I have to say I think the fact that I have found such a great bunch of people and such a wealth of information from this forum alone... makes my computer the deal of the century.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast