So the thing is.....

/ So the thing is..... #1  

Soggy Bottom Outdoors

Gold Member
Tractor
2013 john deere 5075E and others
(To the moderaters, move this thread wherever it fits best.) So the thing is, I'm in the new tractor market, but not really brand loyal. But I do lean a little to the CNH red side, well my wife does. I'm comparing apples to apples, New Holland Workmaster 75, Farmall 75A, Kubota 7040SUH, Deere 5075E. 4 New Holland dealers 2 CIH, 3 Kubota , and 3 Deere dealers all within 50 miles from home. Now the pack begins to separate a bit. On similiarly equipmented machines Deere was the highest and they even had more options on their "economy" tractors than the others. New Holland was the cheapest. When I consider "other factors" the pack separates a bit more. One of the Deere dealers and the company I work for share a parking lot so the convienice factor is pretty high and several Deere employees do business with us. One of the New Holland/Kubota is across the road but their service department is known to struggle. Okay after a long drawn out thread my question is, What other factors other the the machine and price do you consider and how much weight do you put on these things before you purchase?

/ So the thing is..... #2  
Well a tractor is a Machine and Machines break down. So I would go with the best Service department that stocks the parts you will need. The last thing I want to hear is "I ordered the parts and they will be in next Thursday."

/ So the thing is..... #3  
I would also suggest including rating the dealerships. For example, the NH dealer is by far (40 miles) the closest dealer to me. They also charge list plus 10 to 20%! Their repair facility seems very good.

The Farmall will have more bells/abilities than the Workmaster. I prefer the routing of the hydraulic lines on the Farmall (above the ground and hard lines on my Farmall) versus all the other brands (dragging the ground and soft lines). I have mixed reviews (extremely negative to mostly positive) on the JD from my family and friends/neighbors. On paper I really do like the 5XXX series JD but not the execution. I do not know of very many complaints with Kubota.

At the end of the day we went with the Farmall, but that was our choice for our situation.

Oh, and get a FEL ;-)

/ So the thing is..... #4  
What Murph said plus factor in how the machine fits you. I've ridden tractors where the gear lever digs into the side of my leg the whole time, not something I could deal with long term.

/ So the thing is..... #5  
What Murph said plus factor in how the machine fits you. I've ridden tractors where the gear lever digs into the side of my leg the whole time, not something I could deal with long term.

/ So the thing is.....
Ya'll have made some good points. I saw no design differances between Farmall A's and Workmasters, but I could have missed something. I have test drove both of them and found the initial build quality and design to be passible. They were also the cheapest machines. My CIH dealers have a great, long standing reputation. The New Holland dealers not so much. I also test drove a Kubota and was impressed and most of the local dealers have a very good reputation. I have not test drove the Deere, they don't have the model I'm looking at in stock and there's a back log on ordering. They did price it to me, a 5075E, 4wd, no loader, open station, 12 X 12 transmission, power reverser, 2 sets of remotes, block heater, no canopy, fluid in the rears. 30K.

/ So the thing is..... #7  
How did the Case and NH price out? Seems descent for the Deere. Although my dealer priced me a 4520 with loader for $33,500 last year. Talk about sticker shock. Had to put off the purchase for a while. Good luck.

Not a fan of workmasters the only one I have been around you have to hold the reverser lever in reverse. Sucks trying to back a trailer hold reverser with left hand and steer with right while looking over shoulder. My experience.

/ So the thing is.....
On like models equiped alike, Workmaster 75 and Farmall 75A, the New Holland was $1500 cheaper. But the Case-IH dealer has by far a better parts/service reputation. I guess thats the point of my whole thread, just how is a buying from a high caliber dealer worth? One who has all of your filters, belts, fluids, grease, etc all the time. One who knows your name and the machine bought a year after you bought it.

/ So the thing is..... #9  
I guess thats the point of my whole thread, just how is a buying from a high caliber dealer worth? One who has all of your filters, belts, fluids, grease, etc all the time. One who knows your name and the machine bought a year after you bought it.

I'd like them to stock all the routine parts I need, but I don't care if they remember my name, or my machine a year after I buy it….that would be cool, but not worth paying for..

/ So the thing is..... #10  
...I don't care if they remember my name, or my machine a year after I buy it….that would be cool, but not worth paying for..

If you pay for it, demand a refund when they forget you. :)

Bruce