John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price??

/ John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price?? #1  

jodebg

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B-2650
John Deere 4210
2002 model year
JD 420 loader
198 hours
one owner
garage kept
28 hp diesel
hst
4x4
R4 tires
tilt wheel
folding rops
I-match hitch
JD LX5 rotary cutter with a slip clutch
asking price $14,500

1. Is this a good reliable model and is this a good price?

2. What makes the JD weigh so much more than a comparable Kubota?

3. Is the extra weight an advantage?

Last edited:
   / John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price?? #2  
I'm far from an expert on that model, so I can't comment about it's reliability, but I'm not impressed with the price. For around the same price you could buy a new tractor that will have more power, a lot more FEL capacity, and lift height, more standard features, and a warranty (among other things), but you probably couldn't fit the rotary cutter in for that price.

I'm not suggesting you should buy any particular brand, but I know my local dealer is selling LS G3033s for right around $15K (advertised is slightly higher, but they'll normally come down a bit). A machine like that would give you the same basic size, same weight, more power at the PTO than the Deere has at the engine, the same 3pt lift capacity, almost double the FEL lifting capacity (to 5" higher), 3pt draft control, telescoping stabilizer bars, similar hydraulic pump flow, and a 5yr warranty. I think you could get a Kioti CK for about the same amount of money. Here's a local ad for a 3033: LS 3033 Tractor Loader compact

I'm always a bit concerned when I see a 10-11 year old machine with just 200 hours on it. That means it either averaged 20 hours a year, or was used a whole bunch for a year or two, and then sat around, and the owner finally decided they don't need it. Neither scenario is really the best for long-term reliability. Machines last longer, with fewer problems if they're used regularly, and that's hard to manage with only 20 hours a year. Inside storage helps, but it's not a complete cure.

As far as the weight, I think the difference between Kubota and Deere is mostly a design philosophy thing. Deere is grounded in U.S. style agriculture, which means big fields, big machines, big implements, and for those, more weight usually means better traction, and better productivity. Kubota is grounded in the Japanese/Asian farming market, with much smaller areas, where size/weight can be a drawback. Whether more weight will be helpful for you is really hard to say. It's hard to make the machine lighter, but adding more weight is usually fairly easy (not always cheap). If you're using ground-engaging implements, weight usually helps, but maybe you have wet areas, or a small bridge to cross where weight is a negative…no way for us to know those sorts of things. Generally speaking, I think 2,500lbs is a pretty common weight for machines with that size engine…which tells me it's probably a good reference point, if nothing else.

/ John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price??
Thanks for the valuable information-very informative.

After posting this, I found out the former owner past away 18 months ago and tractor sat unused under
open lean-to type area-not inside. Don't feel confident about this tractor having sat for all that time.

Do you have any idea as to how the LS tractor line holds its resale value?
Mostly JD and Kubota in CT and they sell fast and hold their value very well.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price?? #4  
John Deere 4210
2002 model year
JD 420 loader
198 hours
one owner
garage kept
28 hp diesel
hst
4x4
R4 tires
tilt wheel
folding rops
I-match hitch
JD LX5 rotary cutter with a slip clutch
asking price $14,500

1. Is this a good reliable model and is this a good price?

2. What makes the JD weigh so much more than a comparable Kubota?

3. Is the extra weight an advantage?
I have a 4210 with 420 loader could not be more happy with machine, price seems about right for hours if it had 1000 hours I would say around $13,500

/ John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price?? #5  
I have a 4210 with 420 loader could not be more happy with machine, price seems about right for hours if it had 1000 hours I would say around $13,500

Check the date, this post you quoted is over a year old...

Welcome to TBN :)

/ John Deere 4210...Is this a good tractor and selling price?? #6  

As for the weight I have only used John Deere, all I know is I have no wheel weights and tractor goes right up steep grades, with full loads in bucket, I have very rocky soil and it digs great I'm sure the weight has alot to do with it, I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for, as for sitting a while run the machine and check for hydrolic leaks, I know there are times I don't use mine for a 6 month period and it starts right up and have never had a drop of fluid leak out, good luck