A RED John Deere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / A RED John Deere? #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
A buddy of mine (who swears is not on drugs) insists that he keeps seeing a RED John Deere tractor line. They are advertised on the Outdoor Channel, during the Biologic food plot show.

He says they say John Deere Scorpion right on them.

Is he nuts, or what?

In googling this (note use of fashionable brand new verb) I have found a Chinese brand called Scorpion, and John Deere Snowmobiles which may have been OEMed by a Scorpion...

/ A RED John Deere? #2  
Don't know about that, but locally, I saw an 8/9N Ford (I don't know the difference) that was painted JD Green with JD Yellow wheels.

Looked pretty awful to me. Maybe he was trying to get some JD dealer to buy it and scrap it or at least repaint it the right colors.

Take care,
Ron

/ A RED John Deere? #3  
Here are a couple of possibilities.

#1. I remember seeing a red John Deere at one point in the past. It seems (memory is sketchy) that John Deere was OEM'ing some of their tractors to a company that was allowed to keep the John Deere name on the tractor.

#2. Scorpion tractors are made in South Korea by TYM. Some models have John Deere engines and marketing makes it a point let everyone know this.

/ A RED John Deere? #4  
Just out of curiosity, what is a John Deere engine? I thought they bought their engines from Yanmar?

/ A RED John Deere?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I thought they bought their engines from Yanmar?
)</font>

On CUTs yes, on the rest of the line, there are several sources, including John Deere.

/ A RED John Deere? #6  
Well, if its a larger John Deere starting with the Utility tractors they turn into John Deere designed and built JD Powertech engines. They are used in everything from combines to construction equipment. The compact tractors all have Yanmar engines which are also excellent.

/ A RED John Deere? #7  
Right, I understand JD makes their own larger engines, and I think they might also use Cat as well, but on the smaller units I was under the impression the engines were Yanmars.

And since much of the discussion prior to my original post seemed to key in on smaller tractors, even mentioning some possibility of a Korean built ones as a possibility, I presumed the Yanmar connection from Japan to be a reasonable question because of the size units being discussed. And I was not trying to disparage Yanmar, because they are dynamite units.

So all that said, and going back to the possiblity of a RED JD tractor, what is the likelyhood it exists?

/ A RED John Deere? #8  
I think jerrym4's second choice is it. If you look at the Scorpion dealers they list John Deere engines as well as Kubota engines powering their tractors. I think it is entirely possible if JD owns a percentage of Yanmar (which I believe they do) you could technically call it a JD engine.

I have talked to the president of TYM and he told me that.... the Mahindra compacts (prior to the new 15 series built by Mitsubishi) are a TYM tractor with a Kioti engine. The TYM/Scorpion are the same tractor as the Mahindra but using JD/Kubota engines depending on the model and all use Eaton transmissions or Hydros, and the majority of the rest of the tractor is Iseki. If you look at a Massey Ferguson tractor(Iseki) you can see some striking similarities

/ A RED John Deere? #9  
I don't believe JD owns any part of Yanmar. It is a family owned company in Japan. Same family all the time. And they have made enough engines and tractors they don't need to be part owned my JD. The only reason they don't make a Yanmar for this country is that they have a deal with JD to make their small tractors, and engines, in exchange they won't make a Yanmar as such for this country. It's just good business to have a market, and know you will sell so many tractors if you hold up your end. That is why Yanmar, won't sell parts here for the grey market tractors. But they will sell parts for the ones that was made for here, before they made the agreement with JD about not selling any more here. That is not JD owership in anyway, just a agreement.

/ A RED John Deere? #10  
I believe Yanmar is a stock owned company. As such anybody could buy a share JD or Joe Blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.