Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4720 Cab

Default Re: new trike tractors

I'm not a lawyer and they certainly don't need me to defend them but sometimes I think we blame the wrong people.

Manufacturers are always making decisions on what to build based upon liability exposure if something goes wrong even if it is cleary the fault of some idiot using the equipment. All of the extra safety equipment (such as not allowing to mow in reverse unless we pull up on the PTO switch) is based upon trying to limit the liability if someone fails to use some common sense in the way they operate their equipment.

But in most cases the large personal injury awards that scare the **** out of the manufacturers result from the decision of the 12 boneheads on the jury. Thats right, our peers are the ones deciding that an idiot who uses his John Deere 21" push mower to trim his honeysuckle hedge should be compensated for his injuries because nowhere on the mower does it say "DON"T USE THIS MOWER TO TRIM YOUR HEDGE". These two clowns thought they could hold the mower up in the air as they walked along the hedge.

But remember it wasn't the lawyer who is awarding millions of dollars to morons. The lawyer only makes the arguement. The jury of our peers are the ones deciding that the manufacturer should pay out to the moron.

I agree that lawyers push these cases to make money. But in the end it comes down to each of us. If we are on a jury we just say no to the plaintiff who wants a million dollars to cover his act of stupidity. When the jury starts to act responsibly the lawyers won't get paid and they won't take the cases.

Elite Member

I agree, Daryl. An IQ of 100 is supposed to be average; however, I suspect the average is more like 75-80 and 100 is the average of those intelligent enough to take an IQ test......
    On another note, my brother is the only good lawyer I know of. He works for the state of California, prosecuting crooked lawyers. Their most prevalent crime is "borrowing" client funds in estate probate cases.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

I know a couple he hasn't got to yet. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Iseki TU1700f

<font color="blue">"Just remember that typically whenever a lawyer "ruins" something, its because at least 6 out of 8 jurors (your peers) agreed with them." </font>

That's true.

But, guess who picks the jurors?
    That's right..... lawyers!
    And they know how to pick the ones they need to win their case... whether or not a person is guilty makes no difference in picking a juror. A person that is easily influenced or confused is a lawyer's best bet.

Platinum Member

The problem with your point, fivestring, is that it assumes all lawyers involved in picking the jury in a case have the same goal. Obviously, that is not the situation, and you know that -- you're a police officer. If the lawyers are picking the jury, its because there are two sides (at least) to the issue. Furthermore, chances are if you disagree with one lawyer on any given issue, you're going to agree with the other lawyer on that issue. I.e., is the Defendant guilty or innocent? If you've got a problem with one lawyer or a group of 'em, fine, but stop injecting tractor discussions with broad based editorials about your opinions of lawyers.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( it assumes all lawyers involved in picking the jury in a case have the same goal. Obviously, that is not the situation )</font>

[img]/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]You're kidding. As an attorney, you undoubtedly know they DO have the same goal in picking jurors (or at least are supposed to) and that is WINNING for their side. That's in civil cases, of course. I know it's too complex a topic for the space here, but theoretically (and probably only in theory), in a criminal case, the defense attorney is out to win while the prosecutor is only out to search for the truth, but . . . in real life?

Platinum Member

The defense attorney isn't trying to get his client convicted, is he? If all sides had the same goals, there wouldn't be a need for a trial/jury. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Iseki TU1700f

"assumes all lawyers involved in picking the jury in a case have the same goal. Obviously, that is not the situation,"

Absolutely correct on your part. My bad. I don't dislike "all" lawyers. Some of my running buddies are lawyers. I just think that is one profession that stimulates interesting conversation, both negative and positive. Most of my lawyer comments are tongue-in-cheek, but make a point. Maybe I should put some [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] -or- [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] after my comments!

But, a previous responder to the original post had already mentioned the fact of "lawyer buddies" probably ruining the manufacture of trikes. That view is held by more people than you would probably want to admit to.

Clarification of my earlier post:
    There are two sides to picking a jury.
    Defense attorney picks the way I previously described.
    Prosecuting attorney picks the opposite; one that can see through the smoke and form his/her opinion.
    Lawyers and Police are necessary "evils" in society, depending on the circumstance that one is in when making the decision.
    Real estate attornies are in a different ball park. I think most everyone that has bought a house has had a real estate attorney do the closing and title searches. Nothing at all like a tort attorney or divorce attorney or other "trial" attorneys.
    I don't think it's just me with the same opinion of most lawyers. One only needs to read posts on the TBN forums or talk to people on the street. Not all lawyers are "bad" just like not all cops are "bad". I just seem to be a little more vocal... get folk's minds to working. I state the facts.
    The one major difference between the two professions is that most police officers (or poeple in general) do not become elected officials.
    However, look at the makeup of the Senate (State and Fed level), House of Representatives (State and Fed level) and some County and City governing bodies. How about past Presidents?
    How many of the members have a law background?
    How many of them are current or former lawyers?
    Who makes the laws in our democratic society? State and Federal Houses and Senates.
    Why, even a lawyer's job is GUARANTEED by the US Constitution! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    An interesting reading subject is on how laws are made, how some bills get passed easily (no attached "riders") and other bills get bogged down ("riders" that have nothing to do with the law trying to be passed, ie: "pork barrel stuff") and never get through committees. This would be too deep of a subject for discussion here, though.
    Does this mean that lawyers make better politicians? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Platinum Member

"Does this mean that lawyers make better politicians?"

Not in all cases. One lawyer just got recalled in favor of the Terminator.

Thanks for the comment, Gary. Can we talk about tractors now?

By the way, my guess they don't make trikes anymore -- they're a PITA to steer. Had an old Ford 4000 or 5000 (can't remember which one was the trike) when I was a kid. That thing would break your arms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12