Tractor
    2010 new holland E35sr

Default Hydraulic Thumb or Manual for excavator?

I have a 2010 new Holland mini excavator the e35 and im wanting to get a thumb I have had people tell me go with a hydraulic youll like it better but some say save that $700 and buy one to adjust yourself when your going to need it. any input on this is welcome!! thanks guys!
    Tough Times Never Last, But Tough People Do

Veteran Member

Default Re: Hydraulic Thumb or Manual for excavator?

I had a backhoe with a manual thumb on my last tractor. I found the thumb very useful, but I didn't use it all the time as it was a hassle to get off tractor, set up thumb, get back on the tractor and find I didn't set it up right, get off readjust and try again. I installed a hydraulic thumb on my present backhoe, added about $500 to the cost of adding a thumb. Now I use the thumb all the time. It is much more convenient and if I don't set it correctly the first time, I can adjust it quickly from the seat. I plan on this being the last BH I buy, but if I ever buy another one... it will have a hydraulic thumb. If you are using the excavator for personal use, then only you can decide if your time is worth the $$$, if you are going to use it in a business... I think you would be silly not to spend the money.
    Jim

- '01 Husqvarna W4814- 48" walk behind lawn mower.
    - '04 John Deere Z-Trac 727A- 54" ZTR
    - '13 Kioti DK40 HST - KL401 loader, DK40 72" QA bucket, LK3054 60" QA bucket, toothbar for 60" bucket, dual rear remotes, 7ft 6 way rear blade, 78" ETA Box Blade, Woods BH-90x backhoe, loaded rear tires, Kioti Canopy.

Tractor
    2010 new holland E35sr

Quote Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
    I had a backhoe with a manual thumb on my last tractor. I found the thumb very useful, but I didn't use it all the time as it was a hassle to get off tractor, set up thumb, get back on the tractor and find I didn't set it up right, get off readjust and try again. I installed a hydraulic thumb on my present backhoe, added about $500 to the cost of adding a thumb. Now I use the thumb all the time. It is much more convenient and if I don't set it correctly the first time, I can adjust it quickly from the seat. I plan on this being the last BH I buy, but if I ever buy another one... it will have a hydraulic thumb. If you are using the excavator for personal use, then only you can decide if your time is worth the $$$, if you are going to use it in a business... I think you would be silly not to spend the money.
    Thanks a lot for the information! Im deffinatly going with the hydra thumb then! id get aggravated fast like you said getting on and off to re adjust then having to get off again because it wasn't right.. yes I am starting a small business running it. bout to start pricing them now haha!

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

If you have a quick coupler for the buckets then consider getting one that will work with both the 18 and 24 inch sizes. You will like the hydraulic much better, good decision.

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

First hydraulic thumb I ever used was on a rented mini-X. The control was with the right
    foot, and it was auto-retracting. Push fwd with foot and the thumb closed. Let go and the
    lever sprang back and the thumb opened. Cool.

You might have a built-in control set up.

I use my hyd thumb on my hoe at home all the time.

Gold Member

I find I could get along witha a manual one...I have hydraulic but find I do most of the pinching with the bucket closing on the pronged. Tony

Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Hydraulic all the way.

There are many reasons for this, much more convenient, you will never try to pick something up with the thumb in the wrong position just because it was too much trouble to get out of the cab and go reposition it, you can drop something by releasing either the thumb or the bucket, and you can pick something up by closing either the thumb or the bucket.

Plus, and this is a big one for me -- safety. If I am using the thumb, I am picking something up, a rock or a log most of the time. With a mechanical thumb I have to get out of the cab, climb down onto broken ground, walk across this broken ground, manipulate the thumb (probably with a less than ideal stance), walk back over the broken ground and climb up into the cab. There are lots of chances to fall, or turn an ankle. Just avoiding this scenario is worth the extra cost to me.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

Veteran Member

To go along with Curly's point about safety, thumbs are typically not light. Wrestling with them on uneven ground is not easy, if they swing free... you are not going to stop them and if you have a body part between the thumb and whatever it hits to stop... it is going to do some damage... DAMHIK.
    Jim

- '01 Husqvarna W4814- 48" walk behind lawn mower.
    - '04 John Deere Z-Trac 727A- 54" ZTR
    - '13 Kioti DK40 HST - KL401 loader, DK40 72" QA bucket, LK3054 60" QA bucket, toothbar for 60" bucket, dual rear remotes, 7ft 6 way rear blade, 78" ETA Box Blade, Woods BH-90x backhoe, loaded rear tires, Kioti Canopy.

Tractor
    2010 new holland E35sr

thanks guys! Im deffinatly going with the hyd thumb! I have controls on my left hand joystick for one so I think it will be nice! only bad thing about newholland is I have to have it welded to the stick but no big deal some friends own a machine shop. I don't have a quick coupler but if I run across one I may get it too. I don't change buckets that often though