Comparison Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35?

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #1  

JAcre

Tractor
Ford 1720 4x4, Ford 1520 4x4 with terf tires, Massy Ferguson TO-30 with reversed FEL and backhoe
I'm looking at my first 4wd compact tractor - I've owned a Farmall Super A in the past. I've got it narrowed down to two local tractors:
1. Kubota L35 with FEL and backhoe - 1850 hrs, $15k (front tires need replaced, rears are worn)
2. John Deere 870 with FEL and 8B backhoe attachment on subframe - 1400 hrs, $10k (comes with a set of AG tires, 3-point rake, 12" and 24" backhoe buckets, 2nd FEL bucket)

I was set on the Kubota L35 with the more HP and heavier frame to do the earth-moving... but once that is over the JD870 may be a more useful machine for my small farm and orchard.

Any suggestions? I've read all the reviews on both machines... both have comments that more power would be nice.

Thanks for your help!

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #2  
The L-35 will hands down out dig a 870 no matter what hoe or loader you get! The other end of the units use after the digging is done would be different. The L-35's loader will not come off as it is built around the industrial line.

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #3  
If the condition of the machines are both good then the Kubota would be the more capable machine. The Kubota has 17 gallons/min hydraulic flow and the Deere is less than half of that. Again the Kubota has more bucket force on the hoe and twice the fel capacity. I have all Deere stuff including a 110tlb but think in this case the Kubota is the clear winner.

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #4  
While I am certain the Kubota is more capable in the earthmoving department, the reason I have a Deere 110 TLB is that the L35 does not have HST. Not a big deal for the backhoe function, but really a big deal for loader jobs.

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #5  
The 870 is gear also

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #6  
While I am certain the Kubota is more capable in the earthmoving department, the reason I have a Deere 110 TLB is that the L35 does not have HST. Not a big deal for the backhoe function, but really a big deal for loader jobs.

I agree that HST is a great improvement for a tlb and plan on keeping my 110 for a long time. While it is not the smallest or the largest I have had it is the most versatile and well thought out tractor I have ever owned.

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #7  
I agree that HST is a great improvement for a tlb and plan on keeping my 110 for a long time. While it is not the smallest or the largest I have had it is the most versatile and well thought out tractor I have ever owned.
Everyone says the same thing about the 110 TLB, I wonder why JD discontinued it? PRICE maybe but then the Kubota TLB tractors are outrageously priced also.

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #8  
Everyone says the same thing about the 110 TLB, I wonder why JD discontinued it? PRICE maybe but then the Kubota TLB tractors are outrageously priced also.

Don't really know for sure but it might be emissions were too high with the natural aspirated engine.:confused3: If I had the extra money I would buy another one and skip the fel on a larger ag tractor. I have heard all the comments about the lack of sales due to construction being down but that doesn't make much difference in my little world. Depending on what happens in my business long term I may buy a Kubota next time or a 5 ton excavator for digging. No way to really pin it down just yet.

/ Buying Decision: John Deere 870 or Kubota L35? #9  
John deere is awesome.