1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #1  

Ironman70

Tractor
Kubota Grand L3560 HST+
Researched options and usage requirements extensively and have decided to purchase a new John Deere 3520, open platform, with a 300CX loader and medium duty MX-5 rotary cutter. I'll be clearing raw, wooded land for a cabin / garage building site, building a new 800' driveway through the woods, and upgrading/maintaining a 1.5 mile access road/driveway that's basically an upgraded old logging road (needs fill in a few areas and extensive grading work (I'll add a land plane for this work next year).

To summarize: I'll use the machine on my 9 wooded acres and access to the property. I need my machine to cut brush, clear trees and do light logging and piling slash/brush for burning, build/maintain roads, light land prep and landscaping fill maintenance work, and plow snow in the winter. I don't plan to run a mid-mount mower as the price of a low time, used zero turn for finished mowing areas in the future is nearly the price of a 72" deck for this machine. And that will work in smaller tighter areas around trees. I also don't think I'll ever run a snowblower as the drive is just too long and too rough. I have a snowblower for maintaining small areas around the garage and house in the future. I plan to eventually add a front snow blade, a rear box blade, a land plane, and maybe rent a rear wood chipper or splitter in the future.

I've compared three machines. I have quotes on two brand new 2013 models and one on a carryover 2012 model with 4 hours on it. The machines are not apples-to-apples comparisons and that's what I'm looking for advice on.

Of the 2013 machines, both are specified with the larger tires and one has the mid pto option, one does not. They are coming in at $22K for the no pto option and the low $23K option with the mid pto (tractor only).

The 2012 machine with 4 hours has the smaller of the two tire options and no mid pto. I've inspected it carefully and it appears new, no fading, no damage, no rust in all respects. My final price quote is $19K.

Naturally, the 2013 machine quoting dealers are selling me on the value of the larger tires, 2013 newer model, and one of the guys on the need for a mid pto. I feel like I have oversized this tractor for my needs and plan to keep it for the long haul. While re-sale value is important, it's not a primary factor for me. I hope to have this thing for 25 years (or more).

Do I need the larger tires... really? I've driven the different tractors and they all seem very capable to me. Also, any "real world" advice on the mid pto? Does anyone think I will really miss this based on the description of intended use I've listed? One of the dealers (a good guy) stated: "I did some research and found if you don't have the mid pto option from the factory you don't get the rear SCV which is something your going to want."

The newer machines are significantly more up-front money at $3,200 to $4,300 more. That seems like a lot just to have a machine one year newer, with larger tires and maybe a mid-pto. But, I've never operated one of these long term. I just want to make the right decision for now and the future and have a machine I won't want to trade in. That will cost me more in the long run.

Any and all comments and advice welcome! Thank you!

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #2  
Do I need the larger tires... really?

No, it really sounds like you need a bigger machine that also happens to bigger tires. If you figure out the biggest tractor you think you need, double that, then add 10%, you're probably about at the right size :D

In many ways you're talking about tackling tasks bigger than what I'm doing, and I'm easily maxing out the capability I have, which is a significant amount higher than the 3520 with CX300 FEL. You can probably get most of the jobs done, but they will definitely take a lot longer than if you went bigger.

Just the 800' driveway, and 1.5mi road would have me looking at machines twice that size!

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #3  
Welcome Ironman,
I agree with Gman, sounds like a bigger tractor would fit your needs better and make your time use more efficient. Have you looked at the Deere 5 series? My 5045d utility came in just about 22k with a loader set up how I wanted it. No frills, but it can handle anything I've thrown at it. Just a thought, but as they say, 'tractors shrink when you get them home.' Good luck, and keep us posted on whatever you decide!

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #4  
A couple of things, just wondering about. :confused3: You mentioned some of the implements that you will be getting in the future. Those implements are widely used to groom and maintain roads and drives and yet you say that the road is too rough to ever use a snow blower on. Don't really care about the snow blower, just wondering why the road will remain rough? You will have the equipment to make it like glass. Is there a particular reason that the road will remain rough? :confused:

With that much road to take care of, I highly recommend that you get one of these to go along with the box blade and LPGS. Sure makes working with roads so much nicer to have all the right implements to use when needed.

Last, get a tractor that will weigh in at a minimum of 6000lbs GVW. That will allow you to get some work done in a timely manor. Not that the smaller machines can't do all the same work, but no where as fast.

I personally would be looking in the 40-50hp range with the weight capacity mentioned. ;)

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #5  
I have a john deere 3320, and I really like it. It's awesome for my farm work, but it's not built for the land clearing that I need done on about 4 acres, which is why I'm debating a small bulldozer... I don't know if there is a tractor for you that will do it all, I know for me there isn't. On my land, farming and earth moving/clearing/stump removal/creek dredging are two very different tasks that use very different machinery. Best, Matt

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions
Thanks to all for the advice to date. MtnViewRanch: I understand your confusion. I wasn't very clear. I hope to make the road "like glass." But, in my experience, even the best maintained gravel roads cause havoc with snow blowers. I simply won't be interested in one and I've used plows for years on similar roads with good results.

I know many of you are recommending the larger machine. I'm on a limited budget to still allow for site work and building construction in the next 24 months. I had already planned to buy a 2 series just for brush cutting, simple pot hole filling and driveway grading, and mowing. Then (as some have suggested) I did go up one size.

Back to the original question... knowing I don't really plan to run a snow blower or mid-mount mower deck, can anyone think of something I might be missing with this configuration with no mid pto?

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #7  
Mentioning a budget, do you just have to have a John Deere? You could get quite a bit more tractor if you were to get one of the Korean makes. ;)

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #8  
If you pick something other than the most expensive brand around, you can get the capability you need, and stay within your budget. Deere makes nice machines, but if the model that fits your budget isn't up to your tasks, you'd be better served with something that is.

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions
Seems like I'm getting a lot of extra advice. I've thoroughly reviewed the other options, and used options. I've looked at and driven Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland, and John Deere. I also have the best dealer resources close to me with a JD tractor. I've heard the phrase "buy the dealer, not the tractor." I realize they are more $$. I'm also a below knee amputee with prosthetic. The JD was the most ergonomic for me.

/ 1st Tractor - JD 3520 Questions #10  
Seems like I'm getting a lot of extra advice. I've thoroughly reviewed the other options, and used options. I've looked at and driven Kubota, Mahindra, New Holland, and John Deere. I also have the best dealer resources close to me with a JD tractor. I've heard the phrase "buy the dealer, not the tractor." I realize they are more $$. I'm also a below knee amputee with prosthetic. The JD was the most ergonomic for me.

Congrats on getting your new machine. My tractor has never been back to a dealer. I think that phrase is nuts. ymmv
What happened to"Any and all comments and advice welcome!"?