3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #1  

civilrider

Hi to all! I am planning on putting a backhoe on a Kubota B2710 and am needing input on 3ph vs frame mounted hoes. Some dealers tell me that they hate hitch mounted others say they are no problem. The concern seems to be frame stress. I am also interested in ease of attaching/detaching, compatibility with a mmm, etc. My use will be on a small farm (10 acres) doing general digging with some stump removal. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #2  
On a machine of that size you definately want to go with a subframe. I've seen too many small tractors with their cases cracked by using a 3pt hitch backhoe. The twist on the case is very strong. I've had a JD650, ford 1710 and Ford 2120 and they all had subframes. My New Holland TN75D has a 3pt setup with the Woods 1050 backhoe, but it is a much stronger tractor and it has a Cat II 3 pt hitch.

Andy

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #3  
Hi...

A frame mount is much better than a 3-point-hitch mount for a backhoe. Rigid... no stress on the 3-point linkage...

Putting backpressure against the 3-point linkage with the backhoe can twist it all up... it may happen without you realizing it... but... a 3-point hoe does work OK... just not the best choice...

Dave...

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #4  
John,
I have a B7500 w/4672 BH and have been very pleased with it. I don't mow, but I know that with the 3pt there are no restrictions for MMM. As far as installation and removal, it takes me less than 5 minutes to remove and about 10 minutes to reinstall. However, that is after owning it for a year and a lot of practice. Now I don't even hesitate to remove it. As far as durability, I have removed some huge stumps with it and really pushed it very hard. I haven't had a problem with it so far. I do like the fact that it runs on it's own hydraulics. It makes the hookup very simple and there is no chance of cross contamination. Also, I know that the hydraulics on the BH were specifically designed for it. So... as you can see I am happy with my 3pt. model and I am sure that you are going to get lots of feedback from frame mount owners that like theirs better than 3pt's, so it really will come down to your own personal preference. Have fun shopping. BTW, I believe that over a 3rd of my seat time involves my BH. Once you get one, you'll find more uses for it than you ever dreamt of.

Greg

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #5  
I wouldn't go with anything but a subframe. You can find plenty of cases of guys with three point models that have had problems. It's rare to find a subframe problem.

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #6  
Hi,

I have a b2910 with a Kubota 3ph backhoe.

I find it hard to believe that a backhoe designed by the manufacturer of the tractor would be hazardous to the tractor's physical well being. But it MUST be installed as designed to be installed. There are special brackets that are installed when a backhoe 3ph is added, at least to the Kubota B27/2910. Fail to use them and all bets are off!

Chances are if those brackets are not installed, or a third party backhoe is installed and not properly designed for the tractor, the tractor might just crack somewhere.

Personallly, I would prefer a subframe backhoe. It just SEEMS better! Wasn't an option from Kubota for my B2910 however...and I wanted to keep everything from one source since I was buying new.

A subframe may interfere with a MMM. I want to say "probably will" but that would just be a guess.

If it is not a Kubota backhoe, you would probably be safer going with the subframe type if that is possible with the MMM. That is what I would do... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Once you know the sequence, putting on/off a 3ph backhoe is not a big deal at all. Subframe backhoes may be a little easier...never tried one but got that impression from reading posts here.

Saw a L3430 with a BH90 backhoe on it the other day...VERY nice package...time to consider an upgrade, perhaps? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well...we can dream a little now and then, right? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe
Thanks much for the info. I believe Henro is right in saying that a munufacturer probably wouldn't make a hoe that would cause damage to a matched tractor. However it also makes sense from reading the replies that a subframe reduces the chance of a problem down the road. Right now i'm leaning towards the subframe with a self-contained pump but I believe I need to answer the question regarding compatibility with a MMM and which is easier to mount.
Further thoughts from the group out there might help.
Thanks again...this forum has been most helpful and informative...most appreciated!!!
John

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #8  
My concern with the 3 point is the top link. If you are exerting downward pressure on the dipperstick to the point the rear wheels are off the ground (which is often the case)and the toplink folds you have a 4000 pound baseball bat heading for your skull. (several have been killed this way) Some re-enforce the top link but for my money and my life... I'll take a subframe!!!

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #9  
I have the same tractor/backhoe as GregJ. It uses the same type of reinforced top link bracket that Henro mentioned. The backhoe attaches to this bracket with two heavy duty pins. As a further safeguard against the type of failure stvman points out, the backhoe has a motion limiting bracket underneath. If the hitch fails, the backhoe can only move upward about two inches.

Despite these safety features, I agree that a subframe mount is better. But using a subframe mount on the B7500 reduces the ground clearance from 12" to about 8" all of the time. This negates an important benefit of a compact tractor vs. a subcompact. With a 3 pt. mount, when I need the high ground clearance, I can just remove the backhoe.

Ideally, a compact tractor manufacturer would design their own brand of subframe backhoe which doesn't reduce clearance even when removed, like the subcompact BX22. Maybe someday. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 3-pt vs sub-frame mounted backhoe #10  
Is the loss of ground clearance also an issue for the 27/2910, though? I have a subframe Woods 7500 on my L3010, and with the hoe removed I lose all of...maybe half an inch...of clearance.

With the receivers unique to each tractor, ground clearance might not be an issue here.

Pete