Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    N/A

Default Question/Introduction

Hey y'all, my names Ryan.. Glad to be here!
    I'm going to be moving soon into a new home in the country with a few acres (9 to be exact). I plan on doing some small time farming and whatnot and am starting to look at tractors. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff aside from riding mowers, which I have a couple of for my 1 1/2 acres now. I do plan on selling them before the move, though. I'll generally be using the tractor to plow, cultivate, and sow about 2-4 of the acres. The rest will just be mowed. It's possible I may also use it for minor towing tasks pulling the utility trailer around the property transporting mulch, lumber, and other various things. The utility trailer is an aluminum 4x8 foot trailer, so it is somewhat light. I won't be needing it for any small excavating ventures as I have a small loader for that. I don't necessarily need a tractor with a mower because I do have a pull behind already that I used to use with one of my quads. The area is pretty flat, not a whole lot of hills and no major grade. I hope I gave y'all enough information to be able to help me out.. Thanks in advance!

Tractor
    N/A

Default Re: Question/Introduction

Addition to the question.. Do you think I might be better off buying a utility vehicle such as a JD Gator and getting the hitch?

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

Welcome aboard, Ryan!
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

I guess ill take a stab at in. What general kind of budget do you have, $2000, $20,000, $50,000? I would say a minimum of 40 hp. You dont need a loader you said, and you may or may not want/need 4x4 and Hydrostatic, so I think you can do what you want with anything from a 1960s Ford-2000 for $2500, to a new cabbed 50 hp John Deere for $45,000, and a whole lot inbetween. Many used utility tractors are cheap because the current demands are all on small, 4x4, with loaders, and actual farm tractors can be had for pretty fair prices.

Tractor
    N/A

Thanks Paul! We're in the middle of selling our current property (looks like we have it sold). We're getting about 380k for it because of the location (just outside of a mid sized city) and we have a lot of land (for being near a city where we're at). The property we're purchasing we'll probably get for around 150-175k. After implements and what-have-you are purchased and other need-to-buys are bought, we're thinking we should have about 40-50k to spend. We're not afraid of buying used as I am a diesel and automotive mechanic, so engine work is for the most part a breeze for me. If I can find something reasonable in the 20k range though, that would be wonderful. It will also leave room for some more goodies.

Any more responses are appreciated and as before, thanks in advance!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L285

I had a thought out post, but it didnt load...but. a quick look in tractorhouse.com finds a New 2013 Case Farmall-45A 2wd, no loader for $15,200. Mahindra also has some great deals on 40-50 hp 2wd, no loader, gear transmission tractors, so I think you can be sitting pretty for $20k if you dont need a loader, 4 WD, or Hydrostatic.

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

If your going to spend 20k on a used 2 wheel drive Tractor it better have a Cab and serve Beer.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    LS R4047h

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    If your going to spend 20k on a used 2 wheel drive Tractor it better have a Cab and serve Beer.
    Exactly. I spent exactly 20k minus $1 on mine, and it has loader, 4 wheel drive and hst among many other goodies. this was 3 months ago, and it was new. I guess kubota guys are used to overpaying?

Tractor
    N/A

Hey y'all. Just an update. We have our home sold. Final selling price is 375k- buyer pay closing costs. We are almost certain that we have won the bid on the house we were looking at.. And for less than we originally anticipated, 130k. This means our funds have increased a bit. All of this got me to start thinking. I've read around that the Mahindras are great entry level tractors. Why don't I just kill two birds with one stone and sell the loader I have and just get a bigger tractor with a loader attachment? So I took a ride to the dealer today to start talking numbers. $31,500 out the door if I'm paying cash, loader attachment included on a Mahindra 5010 HST Cab Series. The guy said they will even throw in a 6' rotary tiller for an extra $500. I think I found my tractor! I have someone interested in my loader for 8k and he is coming by to look at it tomorrow. Only have a few more implements left to pick up, then.. And I'm buying the wife a new riding mower, haha. She has been wanting a new JD for a while so I'm gonna pick her up a D170 with a 54" deck and a new wagon for it from Home Depot for around 3k + tax. She's gonna be one happy lady especially since I'm not telling her about it!

Tractor
    N/A

Sold my loader today for what I was hoping to get, 8k. Went out and bought the wife her new JD D170 and wagon from Home Depot. Came out just shy of $3200. I also ended up buying her a used tow vacuum for catching leaves and whatnot for $600 used. The other 4k will go towards a deposit on my new Mahindra 5010 HST Cab tomorrow. Can't wait to get it and use it. We're due to be out of the house by next Friday and set to start moving in our new home as early as Monday, so we have a full week to get everything out. I'll be able to pay the 28k left after deposit on the loader by Wednesday. I'll be using it in less than a week! Very excited!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast