Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M8540

Default Re: Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property

Quote Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
    I would get the Scag now and spend more time evaluating your tractor needs/wants and your ability to rent a machine to do what you want/need for less money than buying.
    Great Idea being able to test a few machines of different sizes might be nice

Dave

Tractor
    Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Craftsman LT1000

Quote Originally Posted by murphy1244 View Post
    Why is the Scag with only 100 hours for sale?
    Not sure actually. It's on consignment at a Scag dealer about 45 minutes away so I haven't seen it yet.

Tractor
    Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Craftsman LT1000

Quote Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
    The question I have.. is your lawn flat enough to handle a 61" mower without scalping the lawn. My lawn is not flat/level enough for even the 54" deck on my JD ZTR.
    My lawn is pretty flat out back and a gentle hill to the street out front. There are a few dips and mounds which is on my list to take care of with the tractor at some point. There's only one little hill that I'd scalp with the 42" but mostly because I was too lazy to skip it and do it with the trimmer. I paid a lawn company to do my front lawn this past season and they used pretty big decks and didn't scalp anywhere that I saw. Less worried about the back yard.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

Quote Originally Posted by iptman View Post
    I know this has been done to death but I'd like to get opinions based on what my property is and the associated costs for equipment. I have a little over 2.5 acres and as you can see it's mostly grass with a few trees. We've been in the house for a little over a year at this point and mowing with my hand-me-down Craftsman 42" is quite time consuming (~3.5 hours). I'm trying to decide on a zero turn or a tractor/FEL/MMM. I have a line on a used 2012 Scag Tiger Cat with a 61" deck, suspension seat and Kohler 27hp motor with ~100 hours for $6000. The tractor I'm looking at currently is the Max25 with a FEL and 60" MMM and my out the door price is $16,900 (~2500 of that is the MMM). Here's my current list of project I'd want to use the tractor for.

Clean up brush piles/tree branches
    Remove and replace fence
    Fill in low spots in from and back yards
    Build a gravel driveway extension
    Remove 12x12' patio, replace with larger paver patio
    Lawn mowing
    Build garden
    Move large rocks from front yard
    Build whole hog BBQ pit
    Dig out area for a slab for a pole barn

Obviously there's a lot of "wants" and not a lot of "needs" in that list but I'm wondering if that's how most of you started when you purchased your first tractor. The only real need is the lawn mowing which is why I was leaning toward the Scag but I'd like other opinions as well. The cost is another issue since the spread is about $11k. We can take the additional cost hit but it certainly would be nice to keep that $11k in the pocket. If I do buy the Scag (BTW, does $6k sound like a good deal?) I think in a couple years I'll end up getting a tractor anyway. In the mean time if anything in my list comes up I could possibly rent equipment specifically for the project. That's what I'm thinking anyway. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks,

Attachment 350932Attachment 350931

I would get a few projects and materials together and rent a 40 hp tlb for a weekend. Buy a nice mower for the long term mowing which is 95% of what you need. A ztr similar to what you are looking at should mow your lawn in 1.5 hours, a 700 series deere can mow it in 2 hours. I prefer my x749 because I can mow, till a garden, spread fertilizer and seed, and still run my landplane on the driveway. I have a small chipper (DR 3 pt) that I use with the mower to run branches through too. So it depends on how much maintenance you wan't to do to your lawn. For just mowing a good ztr is hard to beat.

Tractor
    Ford 8N, LS R4047H, Massey Ferguson 241, Hustler Sport ZTR

It really does sound like you answered your own question. The Scag you're looking, or similar, will save you a bunch of time, and will do a better job of mowing than anything with a MMM would.

If you're looking at machines the size of the Max 25, I'd take a peek at an LS J2020H....for under $13K you get a machine that weighs roughly the same as the Max, has a stronger loader (1,150lbs at pins), a tiny bit more 3pt lift, and pretty much all the other specs are similar. I'd also look at a Kioti CK20HST...similar price, slightly better specs than the Max, other than a few less HP (although closer at the PTO).

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana R4944, Ford Jubilee, Ford 621, Ford 841

I am just cheeeeeeep! I would never pay that much for any lawnmower new or used! Of course I think you would be way better off mowing with a ZTR. Myself I would just go to tractor supply and get a mower for way less money and then find a nice used CUT for your other work, but that is because I am still cheep at heart. But to each his own I just don't go for this name brand thing TSC has some nice cubs that are half as much.
    Montana R4944
    Ford Jubliee, Ford 841, Ford 621 industrial with FEL & BH

Tractor
    John Deere 1026R

what he said ---> xring100

iptman, sounds like you are starting out like me many moons past. started with a small mower, built up over time. however, deals & financing are good today if you can swing payments, so consider that too, for larger equipment. sounds like a SCUT is optimum, that's what i did.

don't agonize too long, pull the trigger & have some fun, too!

best wishes,
    DeereMann
    John Deere 1026R
    John Deere 445 (sold)
    John Deere 318 (sold)
    John Deere STX38 (sold)

Stihl 018, 026, MS460

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1655

I have had a Gravely 60" HD ZTR for the past 4 years with a Kohler Courage engine. I average over 100 hours a year & have been very happy with it. New they are now selling around $5,200. Who knows what type of end of season deal might get. We have 4 Gravely ZTR in the family now. Everyone is happy.

I have run Ferris ZTR mowers & do not feel the difference in ride is worth paying twice the price.

TSO
    Tractor
    Massey 1648 HST Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Guesseral View Post
    I am just cheeeeeeep! I would never pay that much for any lawnmower new or used! Of course I think you would be way better off mowing with a ZTR. Myself I would just go to tractor supply and get a mower for way less money and then find a nice used CUT for your other work, but that is because I am still cheep at heart. But to each his own I just don't go for this name brand thing TSC has some nice cubs that are half as much.
    I am cheap as well, but the box store ZTRs are just not built nearly the same as the entry level commercial (and higher) stuff. I have known many people that regret spending $2000-3500 on a cheap mower, only to have it break shortly after. There are definitely times to be cheap, but I don't think this is one of them. An extra $2000 financed is barely noticed, and that will get you a much better machine.
    Massey 1648 HST Cab
    Previous: LS R4041/4047 & Kioti CK20S

QA 72'' bucket * 60" Custom Grapple Bucket * QA Forks * 8' HD Back Blade * 84" HD Box Blade
    72'' Rake * WorkSaver SG-26 Stump Grinder * Middle buster plow * Wallenstein BX42s PTO Chipper
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR mower (25 hp Shibaura diesel)
    20' PJ Equipment Hauler/Trailer
    2008 F250 Crew V10 4x4

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

I purposely didn't read all posts. Here is my 2c. Mowing with ZT is work. Digging in dirt with a tractor is fun. Get a backhoe for the machine. It will double the fun factor. We have both ZT and tractor. My wife likes to work. I like to dig in dirt.
    Ladia

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast