Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Default Re: Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver1655 View Post
    I have had a Gravely 60" HD ZTR for the past 4 years with a Kohler Courage engine. I average over 100 hours a year & have been very happy with it. New they are now selling around $5,200. Who knows what type of end of season deal might get. We have 4 Gravely ZTR in the family now. Everyone is happy.

I have run Ferris ZTR mowers & do not feel the difference in ride is worth paying twice the price.
    If you cant tell the difference in ride quality, put one side by side with any other brand and run one pass with the Ferris and then get on the other one. YOU will be amazed at the difference. If your lawn is supper smooth and groomed, you may not notice a difference but if it is like mine with pot holes, ditch crossings, crawfish mounds and other bumps you will immediately see the difference.
    I don't know where you get Ferris as being twice the price. My Ferris IS700Zwith 52" deck which is a bit wider than I needed with the uneven ground but a good compromise for the acreage I need to mow lists for $5800 + tax at my local dealer and has a FS 691 Kawasaki engine, fabricated steel deck and the smoothest ride around. I cant see $600 (difference in your quote for the gravely)being double price of any other entry level commercial mower and I would take a Kawasaki engine over any B&S or Kohler engine ever built. As far as mowers and cutting goes any of the brands of heavy duty commercial or semi-commercial duty will last a lifetime. I just like the smoother ride and performance of the Ferris over any other brand I have tried, looked at and priced. I didn't find them priced any higher than any other HD models available and actually cheaper than Grasshopper and Exmark mowers of similar size and HP.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    Massey 1648 HST Cab

There have been times when I would welcome the suspension of the Ferris mower... sounds like my lawn is alot like Gary's.
    Massey 1648 HST Cab
    QA 72'' bucket * 60" Custom Grapple Bucket * QA Forks * 8' Rhino HD Back Blade * 84" Rhino Box Blade
    84" LandPride Rake * 78" KK HD Box Discs * WorkSaver SG-26 Stump Grinder * Middle buster plow * Wallenstein BX42s Chipper
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR mower (25 hp Shibaura diesel)
    20' PJ Equipment Hauler/Trailer
    2008 F250 Crew V10 4x4

205 Hrs @ 6/30/14

Tractor
    Ford 1700 25 hp

The ZTR is the obvious choice at this time. However, should you in the future decide to acquire more property, then a compact tractor would be the ticket! IMO!

Tractor
    Kioti DK50SE HST Cab, Kubota BX23TLB

Here's the way I look at it. If you get the compact tractor now, then when you want to buy a ZTR later, your wife can say "But you can mow with the tractor."

If you buy the ZTR now, then when you want to buy a compact tractor, you can honestly say "But I can't do XXX with the ZTR."

So buying the ZTR now gives you a better chance of having both someday.

See, you gotta think about this stuff.

Pappy

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Get a Max 25 or kubota Bx25 with the BH and the ZTR as well and have fun. The Scag @ $6K is a decent price and they are good machines.

You might want to stop by a Kubota dealer and look at a BX25 AND a ZTR for a package deal with 0% financing too on a 2013 model end of year deal..

Like Gary I have the Ferris ZTR and Kubota BH - makes work seem like play.

Good luck, '

Carl
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I have a Scag Wildcat with a 61 inch deck and the water cooled Kawasaki engine in it that I bought new for $8,500 a couple years ago. I also have a 35 hp 4x4 tractor with a 7 foot finish mower. Both are better at some things then the other. The zero turn gives a much nicer cut. Its not even close to how much better it looks. And yes, I replace the blades of both with new ones every year in the spring.

The tractor excels in open country, rough ground where going straight and wide turns are involved. Once you have to go over ground again, or start backing in and out of an area, the tractor is wasting time and not the best choice.

In my yard, along my driveway and the front of my land, the zero turn excels. It's also much better on steep side hills!!!! Seeing your picture, it looks like there are quite a few trees and you have a need for maneuverability. The tractor will do this, just like the riding mower, but it will be slow compared to the zero turn.

If the grass is short, I'll take my zero turn down to my big pond and mow around it over the tractor because it looks a lot nicer. Time wise, the tractor is way better when the grass gets long, but if I keep it cut, the zero turn is even better out in the open area, even though it has a smaller deck.

Eddie

Tractor
    Kubota B2410

I reconsider this question every spring....

We have ~2AC of "yard" and it wouldn't matter if it was a ZTR or tractor the deck size is the critical metric. A FEL is handier than a pocket on a shirt, a ZTR is only good for mowing.

If I ever have a chance to push the "do-over" button, I would get slightly larger tractor (We have 13 total acres) with a FEL, grader blade, and 84" finish mower and do everything with one machine.
    JohnG
    We have Democracy, but were founded on Liberty.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).

I am for LIBERTY!

I Support electric trailer brakes on EVERY axle over the towing vehicle's GVW, CDLs for RVers and safety inspections on ALL licensed vehicles!

Tractor
    Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Craftsman LT1000

Wanted to finish up this thread. I went with the used Scag. 92 hours on the clock. Now I just need to learn how to run the zero turn controls efficiently.

-img_5188-jpg

Tractor
    Massey 1648 HST Cab

Very cool, looks nice. What are the specs?

And don't worry about a learning curve, they are extremely intuitive; you'll be a pro by the end of your first day!
    Massey 1648 HST Cab
    QA 72'' bucket * 60" Custom Grapple Bucket * QA Forks * 8' Rhino HD Back Blade * 84" Rhino Box Blade
    84" LandPride Rake * 78" KK HD Box Discs * WorkSaver SG-26 Stump Grinder * Middle buster plow * Wallenstein BX42s Chipper
    Hustler Z Diesel 66" ZTR mower (25 hp Shibaura diesel)
    20' PJ Equipment Hauler/Trailer
    2008 F250 Crew V10 4x4

205 Hrs @ 6/30/14

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    New Holland Boomer 50

On a property like that... as long as I didn't let everything ever get too high in the first place... and as long as there are no surprises... and assuming sharp blades... I could mow it with my 60" ZT in an hour and 15 minutes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast