Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #1  

iptman

Gold Member
Tractor
Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Kioti CX2510
I know this has been done to death but I'd like to get opinions based on what my property is and the associated costs for equipment. I have a little over 2.5 acres and as you can see it's mostly grass with a few trees. We've been in the house for a little over a year at this point and mowing with my hand-me-down Craftsman 42" is quite time consuming (~3.5 hours). I'm trying to decide on a zero turn or a tractor/FEL/MMM. I have a line on a used 2012 Scag Tiger Cat with a 61" deck, suspension seat and Kohler 27hp motor with ~100 hours for $6000. The tractor I'm looking at currently is the Max25 with a FEL and 60" MMM and my out the door price is $16,900 (~2500 of that is the MMM). Here's my current list of project I'd want to use the tractor for.

Clean up brush piles/tree branches
Remove and replace fence
Fill in low spots in from and back yards
Build a gravel driveway extension
Remove 12x12' patio, replace with larger paver patio
Lawn mowing
Build garden
Move large rocks from front yard
Build whole hog BBQ pit
Dig out area for a slab for a pole barn

Obviously there's a lot of "wants" and not a lot of "needs" in that list but I'm wondering if that's how most of you started when you purchased your first tractor. The only real need is the lawn mowing which is why I was leaning toward the Scag but I'd like other opinions as well. The cost is another issue since the spread is about $11k. We can take the additional cost hit but it certainly would be nice to keep that $11k in the pocket. If I do buy the Scag (BTW, does $6k sound like a good deal?) I think in a couple years I'll end up getting a tractor anyway. In the mean time if anything in my list comes up I could possibly rent equipment specifically for the project. That's what I'm thinking anyway. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks,

FrontYard.JPGBackYard.JPG

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #2  
I don't know if that is a good seal on that particular ZTR, but my vote is go with a zero turn and follow your own advice you outlined in the last paragraph..."in a couple of years...".
When you do get a tractor you will save the $1500-2000 for a MMM and in the mean time will save a lot of your time mowing.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #3  
Beautiful property.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #4  
I'll admit that's a tough one.. I might be tempted to go with a smaller end SCUT as the MAX 25 might be overkill. Maybe bx1870 or kioti cs2410. Maybe a Deere x500 or X700 series for somewhere in between on functionality.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #5  
I know this has been done to death but I'd like to get opinions based on what my property is and the associated costs for equipment. I have a little over 2.5 acres and as you can see it's mostly grass with a few trees. We've been in the house for a little over a year at this point and mowing with my hand-me-down Craftsman 42" is quite time consuming (~3.5 hours). I'm trying to decide on a zero turn or a tractor/FEL/MMM. I have a line on a used 2012 Scag Tiger Cat with a 61" deck, suspension seat and Kohler 27hp motor with ~100 hours for $6000. The tractor I'm looking at currently is the Max25 with a FEL and 60" MMM and my out the door price is $16,900 (~2500 of that is the MMM). Here's my current list of project I'd want to use the tractor for.

Clean up brush piles/tree branches
Remove and replace fence
Fill in low spots in from and back yards
Build a gravel driveway extension
Remove 12x12' patio, replace with larger paver patio
Lawn mowing
Build garden
Move large rocks from front yard
Build whole hog BBQ pit
Dig out area for a slab for a pole barn

Obviously there's a lot of "wants" and not a lot of "needs" in that list but I'm wondering if that's how most of you started when you purchased your first tractor. The only real need is the lawn mowing which is why I was leaning toward the Scag but I'd like other opinions as well. The cost is another issue since the spread is about $11k. We can take the additional cost hit but it certainly would be nice to keep that $11k in the pocket. If I do buy the Scag (BTW, does $6k sound like a good deal?) I think in a couple years I'll end up getting a tractor anyway. In the mean time if anything in my list comes up I could possibly rent equipment specifically for the project. That's what I'm thinking anyway. Anyone have any opinions one way or the other?

Thanks,

View attachment 350932View attachment 350931

I think you already answered your question. If none of your tractor projects are pressing, get a zero turn now and a few years later pick up a small SCUT something like a BX Kubota should be all you need maybe with a backhoe attachment if you want to spend a few thousand more. Most folks cant justify the cost but they sure are handy when it comes time to dig a hole even if it is nothing more than to plant a shrub/ tree etc. It doesn't have to be new either by the way as long as it has been taken care of, stored inside etc one with 500+ hours is still practically new.
As for the mower, before you buy the Scag, check out Ferris IS 700Z mowers or the Simplicity equivalent. Both have a nice coil spring and shock suspension that makes mowing much easier on the back. I got mine with the Kawasaki engine which I think is better than the Briggs & Stratton for durability.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #6  
.. I might be tempted to go with a smaller end SCUT as the MAX 25 might be overkill

Overkill is over rated. The opposite of over kill is regret. Look at (The Fred's) post on his L3940. What would you say about having an M8540 for 10 acres?

The X700 series would not be much if any cheaper. Once you add in the cat 0 or limited cat 1 hitch neither is standard and the FEL. Which would both be required to complete the task he's suggesting. The Jd 45 loader lifts an astonishing 365 lbs to full height at the pin. While the max lifts 900 lbs.
Small cat 1 implements will be easier to find than the cat 0 or cat 1 limited. My neighbor can't use a standard post hole digger on his toy tractor because it's limited cat 1 does not have the height.

I think the max or even a b series not a bx kubota would be fine. For his requirements. I'm sure he could get by with something smaller like a bx or x700 but the cost difference if any probably wouldn't justify having less capability.

I would personally go for a zero turn first but his property does not appear to have a lot of obstacles. I'm not sure what mahindra charges for a mmm but I know kubota mmm are about halfway to a descent grade zero turn.

Regardless the zero turn would be way faster.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #7  
Amazing. Three certified tractor-holics voting for the Zero Turn mower……..

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property
Thanks for all the comments. Anyone else have any thoughts on the Scag and the price? I looked on tractorhouse.com and saw similar units with more hours going for $6900. My research on mowers has been limited to this site and lawnsite.com along with anything else I can find online.

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #9  
Why is the Scag with only 100 hours for sale?

/ Zero turn or tractor, 2.5 acre property #10  
Thanks for all the comments. Anyone else have any thoughts on the Scag and the price? I looked on tractorhouse.com and saw similar units with more hours going for $6900. My research on mowers has been limited to this site and lawnsite.com along with anything else I can find online.
The Scag is a good machine and I think the deck on that mower is a good one. The folks on Lawnsite would know for sure, that is a good site for learning about the +'s/-"s of a mower. The question I have.. is your lawn flat enough to handle a 61" mower without scalping the lawn. My lawn is not flat/level enough for even the 54" deck on my JD ZTR. My first reaction is that the price is fair, but you might be able to do a little better. The Ferris/Simplicity machines are reasonably priced machines that have the smoothest ride of any ZTR and cut fairly well. I have 1.5 acres to mow with more trees/obstacles than you do, and if I hurry, I can mow it in about 50 minutes. I would get the Scag now and spend more time evaluating your tractor needs/wants and your ability to rent a machine to do what you want/need for less money than buying.