Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5210 + Bobcat CT335

Default Re: Is this worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by CABurton159 View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    Would it be possible to use some sort of ethanol-treatment? I believe sta-bil has a gas formula to keep gasoline from going bad.
    And for the carburetor, would some sort of valve in the gas line in front of the carburetor do the trick? Like, shut off the gas then run the tractor until the line empties?
    I will also look into proof of a "rebuild" on the engine.
    P.S. Milkman, are you from lower Michigan?
    Yes I am from lower Michigan. Born and raised in the southern 1/2 of the Lower Peninsula. I use the north part strictly for hunting, vacations, and some occasional fishing

I've had good luck using sta-bil and other similar products in my boats and lawn mowers that I don't use in winter. Keep the tank full for storage and run it for a while after you add the stabil. I've also been known to add some two stroke oil into the tank for the last run before storage. Some others on here will probably tell you that is bad though.
    "Contentment makes poor men rich, Discontent makes rich men poor." Benjamin Franklin

"...The conflict between believers and non believers is not about the beliefs..." IslandTractor

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

most gas tractors i see already have a fuel shutoff petcock.

however.. even using stabil. you do hit a point where too little use will cause you problems...

a gasser would not be my choice for a tractor i did npot run at a minimum of every 2 months. or more in cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by CABurton159 View Post
    Thanks everyone!
    Would it be possible to use some sort of ethanol-treatment? I believe sta-bil has a gas formula to keep gasoline from going bad.
    And for the carburetor, would some sort of valve in the gas line in front of the carburetor do the trick? Like, shut off the gas then run the tractor until the line empties?
    I will also look into proof of a "rebuild" on the engine.
    P.S. Milkman, are you from lower Michigan?
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

you can get fogging oil for that.

Quote Originally Posted by milkman636 View Post
    Yes I am from lower Michigan. Born and raised in the southern 1/2 of the Lower Peninsula. I use the north part strictly for hunting, vacations, and some occasional fishing

I've had good luck using sta-bil and other similar products in my boats and lawn mowers that I don't use in winter. Keep the tank full for storage and run it for a while after you add the stabil. I've also been known to add some two stroke oil into the tank for the last run before storage. Some others on here will probably tell you that is bad though.
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

A 165 is a very good tractor and the one pictured looks really good and it's also a good price. If the seller can provide receipts for the overhaul and the Multi-power and everything else works good, it would be a good choice of tractor. Parts aren't a problem as they are still very popular. If you need to use a tractor a lot for heavier work a diesel is the way to go but that doesn't mean you should shy away from a gas tractor if it's in good shape. You can always run Seafoam or some other additive in the gas tank to keep the fuel fresh. I don't think a tractor engine is as finicky as a chainsaw or other small engine. There's still thousands of gas engines out there. If you were looking at a 100 HP gas tractor, then fuel economy might be a big concern.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5210 + Bobcat CT335

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    you can get fogging oil for that.
    Yes I could, and I have used that on my boat motors. It makes a real nice cloud while your choking the engine out. The two stroke oil isn't really added for coating the cylinder surfaces though. I don't choke the engine out like fogging, so the oil gets burned along with the fuel during combustion.

It probably comes out of the old marvel mystery oil school of thought, but it seems to me that the oil in the gas helps with the fuel side during long storage. I use a decent mixture of oil. It's something that I picked up from my dad and has worked well for me over the last couple of decades.
    "Contentment makes poor men rich, Discontent makes rich men poor." Benjamin Franklin

"...The conflict between believers and non believers is not about the beliefs..." IslandTractor

Tractor
    Kubota B2410

Diesel has storage issues as well, the Bio-Diesel is VERY Hygroscopic and so it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere and with almost no sulphur in the fuel today, algae growth can be a real problem in fuel tanks. It is so bad, than many big rig operators have their fuel tanks cleaned annually when operating in humid environments.
    JohnG
    We have Democracy, but were founded on Liberty.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790).

I am for LIBERTY!

I Support electric trailer brakes on EVERY axle over the towing vehicle's GVW, CDLs for RVers and safety inspections on ALL licensed vehicles!

Tractor
    Many in the past, Today, a Kubota M59, JD530, and 2 Yanmars - 16 & 33 hp

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    i'd steer away from a low use gas engine.

you'll end up rebuilding the carb every year when you wake her up to use her.

as for the tractor.. not a bad one though..
    I hear about "old gas" and gummed up carbs, and I see it in machines brought to me for repair but for some reason I have yet to see it in my own equipment.
    No, I don't know why. I certainly have a lot of gas engine machines including tractors, chain saws, motorcycles, old trucks, welding generator, RV generator, outboards......you get the picture. Most of my equipment has been around 20+ years and most only get started once a year.
    What's odd is that I've never had a bit of problem with stale gas or with a need for carb rebuilds. I am careful to always turn off the gas tap when it is going to sit awhile. And I tend to make sure that the gas cap fits snugly. Other than that, nothing special. I expect gas to last for years without change and have yet to be disappointed.
    So my actual experience is completely different from the stories I hear. BTW, I happen to like gas tractors...!
    YMMV, good luck....rScotty
    Pride of place goes to our 2 cylinder John Deer 530. As modern & useful today as 50 years ago.
    Our Kubota M59 TLB is the first choice for everyday chores on the land. An awesome machine - and no, I'm NOT responsible for nicknaming him "stinky"!
    By the barn sleeps a pair of 4wd US Yanmars getting along in years: Mr. Big and Mrs. Little.
    Loaders for each, and a yard full of well-beaten implements which work far better than they look.

Tractor

I LOVE gas tractors.. under 45hp... the bulk of my tractors are gas.

I have an occasional carb rebuild.. it's not a huge issue.

I have had bad gummy gas stick some valves soooo bad I had to drive then out of the head and cutt he bent push rods with a bolt cutter to get them out.

so far that situation has happened only 2x to me.

any time it has though.. that machine gets torn down adn cleaned and then I go back in with synthetic oil.

a lil overkill in a 55 engine.. but never had another stuck valve ina machine with syn oil.. and walmart syn oil is only a lil more cash than plain dino..
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    NH TC29, Long 425

So let me consolidate everything:

The Tractor is good, considering nothing is broken.
    Gas tractors aren't as good as diesels, but they aren't much worse.
    Run a gas tractor at least once a month, to keep from getting gummed up.
    Seafoam the tractor every dozen tanks or so.
    Parts availability is great, making carb rebuild kits even easier to find.

Thanks Everyone!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    MF 135

Pretty much.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast