Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Each has it's own loader & favorite implements

Default Re: Is this worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by CABurton159 View Post
    So let me consolidate everything:

The Tractor is good, considering nothing is broken.
    Gas tractors aren't as good as diesels, but they aren't much worse.
    Run a gas tractor at least once a month, to keep from getting gummed up.
    Seafoam the tractor every dozen tanks or so.
    Parts availability is great, making carb rebuild kits even easier to find.
    Thanks Everyone!
    I could add a few things that I think everyone will agree with. ...That is that the MF 135 is a classically simple an understandable tractor. It is understood by any mechanic, and can be worked on with average tools. Parts are not only available, they are downright inexpensive.

As for the gas vs diesel debate it can go on forever - in fact it already has. We haven't even touched on cold weather starting for example. Neither type is great at starting cold......but for different reasons.

The best of either of those engines are more similar than different in spite of burning different fuel. Diesels have to be heavily built to withstand the compression forces. The best gassers - and the MF's engine is one - are also heavily built and designed to run at low rpm with a broad torque range. They store lots of energy in heavy rotating parts just as diesels do.

Something else interesting in this MF discussion is the info on gas gumming.
    That deserves it's own thread, I think. From what I gather, gum seems to be a larger problem in some geographical (climate?) areas than others.
    We also see that gumming is reduced or in some areas eliminated by sealing or treating the gasoline airtight between uses. This sealing requires using a shutoff petcock on the fuel line and may mean draining/treating the carb for long storage. And now Soundguy brings up having not seen any gumming when synthetic oil is used. Shucks, we may lick this thing yet.

I'm betting that old mechanics here can remember back when "vapor locking" was a big summer problem in gas engines. When's the last time that any mechanic here has treated a vehicle for vapor locking problems?
    Enjoy, rScotty
    Pride of place goes to our 2 cylinder John Deer 530. With her QA loader, smooth draft control, telescoping 3 pt arms, pwr steering, clutched PTO, comfortable seat, and remote hydraulics she's as useful today as 50 years ago. There's a Kubota M59 & a JD310SG for TLB work....giving us options on doing heavy jobs.
    We'll not forget Mr. Big & Mrs. Little - 33 & 16 hp Yanmars - now gone, but never forgotten.
    And a line-up of well-used implements that still work better than they look.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

for a low use machine.. I might seafoam EVERY tank.

ie. use a half a bottle at each fill up...
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Tractor
    Kioti DK-40, MF-135, Ventrac 4500Y

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    for a low use machine.. I might seafoam EVERY tank.

ie. use a half a bottle at each fill up...
    How many Glugs is that?
    Murph

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i'd guess about 4 glugs on the average 8-12oz bottle depending on mouth size. if real large mouth.. might be 1.5 glugs.
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123