Buying Advice Is this worth it?

/ Is this worth it? #1  

CABurton159

Tractor
NH TC29, Long 425
Hi everyone,
We are in need of a bigger tractor for baling small square bales, something in the 40+ hp range.
What can you guys tell me about this tractor?
Is it a problem that its gas?
What about multipower? I know what it is somewhat, but is it reliable? Will I get it home and it explode on me? Can I just leave it alone and not use it?
and finally, Is it at a good price? That tractor has sat there for some time, so that kind of alarms me. (either price-wise, or nobody likes MF 165s)

Massey 165

/ Is this worth it? #2  
Anything can fail but over all Multi-power is fairly reliable. The Perkins engine are near bullet proof.

/ Is this worth it? #4  
   / Is this worth it? #6  
Personally I would stay away from gasoline engines in a tractor. Not for the reason that they are unreliable but because of the gasoline that we have to use today and how fast it goes stale. It is bad enough just trying to keep my lawnmower with fresh gas and it gets lots more use than a tractor especially from May thru Sept. I just think that it would be a problem keeping good fuel in it and would be a nightmare of carb overhauls. Wait for a good diesel engine tractor come along.

/ Is this worth it? #7  
My concern would not be that it has a gas engine. It's the "fresh overhaul" that has my attention. That suggests to me that either there are several thousand hours on it or it lacked proper maintenance. So what did the fresh overhaul consist of? was it just cosmetic? can he tell what was done? when was it done? by who? and can he prove it? I'm not suggesting it's good or bad, only to be suspicious of "pretty" old tractors.

/ Is this worth it? #8  
i'd steer away from a low use gas engine.

you'll end up rebuilding the carb every year when you wake her up to use her.

as for the tractor.. not a bad one though..

/ Is this worth it? #9  
165 multipower is a good tractor but i would not want a gas either .

I have a diesel with over 10'000hrs on it

Attachments

• IMG_2820.JPG
    IMG_2820.JPG
    934.7 KB · Views: 117
   / Is this worth it?
Thanks everyone!
Would it be possible to use some sort of ethanol-treatment? I believe sta-bil has a gas formula to keep gasoline from going bad.
And for the carburetor, would some sort of valve in the gas line in front of the carburetor do the trick? Like, shut off the gas then run the tractor until the line empties?
I will also look into proof of a "rebuild" on the engine.
P.S. Milkman, are you from lower Michigan?