Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #1  

cpar

Tractor
None
I am a long time reader but this is my first post. I am looking to buy a tractor in the next week and have narrowed my decision down to a Massey GC1705 or a Deere 1023E. I have decided between these two because they are 2 of the wider sub-compacts (I heave pretty steep hills and some un-even parts to drive over).

So here's the deals

Deere 1023E with H120 Loader, Quick Hitch Cat 1, Loaded Tires and Ballast box: $14,333 (1.99% for 72 months)

Massey GC 1705 with loader and Ballast box: $12,075 (3.99% for 72 months)
Also the GC 1710 (loader and backhoe: $15500 (3.99% for 72 months) just in case :D

The one big thing is that the Deere dealer is 10 miles away and the Massey dealer is about 1.5 hours.
How important is it to have a dealer be close? Previously I have owned old tractors so i would do the work myself or drive it down the road to the mechanics. Also what do you think of the prices?

I am always open to thoughts on other tractors too, center of gravity is a concern but not a replacement for attacking hills and bumps correctly

Thanks for any help.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #2  
Warranty repairs only pay for parts and labor at the dealership. Hauling the tractor or the mechanics driving time to your place for repairs is your expense.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #3  
You have any other brands out there? Most tractors never go back to the dealer for warranty work.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E
I have a Mahindra/New Holland about 15 miles away and a Bobcat dealer about 10 miles away. Plus there is an old Massey Dealer about 5 miles away that has stopped selling tractors and now only sells implements.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #5  
Honestly they are pretty comparable, I looked at both when shopping.

Pick a color, any color.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #6  
Honestly they are pretty comparable, I looked at both when shopping.

Pick a color, any color.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #7  
I'd take a look at a Kioti CK20S, LS J2020H, and maybe a Mahindra Max 22. They're all similar in power, size, weigh a bit more (except the Kioti which is more like 500lbs heavier), have more 3pt lift (although the Deere is right up there) and a lot more FEL lift capacity. For example, the LS loader is darned near twice the capacity of the MF, and 50% more than the Deere, in a similarly priced machine.

They're all good machines, but the differences can save you some time/effort if you pick one better suited to your needs. I wouldn't worry about dealer location, but I'd ask about transport for warranty issues if you don't have the means to move it yourself....just so there are no surprises. Most machines never see the dealer after they leave the lot.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #8  
The prices on the Massey sound pretty good. So, if i read the quotes correctly, you can get a BH with the Massey for $1,200 more compared to the Deere w/o? To me thet would be an easy decision.
I had the predecessor to the MFGC1710 which was the GC2310 and for it's size it was pretty impressive ( both the BH & loader). Also with the MF you could leave the 3pt in place with the BH which was nice. Btw, it also had very good design of flip over "feet" on the outriggers for stability and street pads.

If your only concern is the dealer being an hour or so away, I wouldn't worry about it. Does the closer MF dealer still have a service dept?
Best of luck no matter your decision. Sounds like you have some other dealers/brands you can check out close by...enjoy your search!

Last edited:
   / Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E #9  
Welcome to TBN. I will respect your statement that you have "narrowed" your search to the JD and MF tractors. Personally, I put a lot of stock in the dealer. Unless the JD has features that are incompatible with your tastes, I would purchase the local tractor. However, both are good tractors and should give you many years of enjoyment.

/ Massey GC 1705 vs. Deere 1023E
Thank you guys for the input. I will look at the Kioti since I have not yet so that I can get a fair comparison.

Tompet has great point about the BH on the Massey compared to the JD price- and of course that setup was my want:D rather than my need but with the outriggers/weight that may help in stability so i can reason the cost out.

Just FYI I cannot find an LS dealer in my area and I did drive the Mahindra Max 22: I found it to be sloppy. Difficult to shift to 4wd, I had to wait and feel for the differential because the lever was sloppy and the bucket is very small with no other options. I am not trying to insult Mahindra guys but that was my experience.