4x4 vs 2x4

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #21  
I don't understand all the passion for 4x4 tractors????

Most every "loader" used by governments and in construction are 4x2s like the ford 555 etc, true many have a BH installed but that's another conversation. Based on comments, one might wonder how our fore-fathers ever managed w/o 4x4, it should be impossible :shrug:

4x4 adds weight were it is useless, over the front tires, the front is NOT the primary drive! It also adds to cost and additional maintenance requirements.

Where I am from, a "4x4" tractor has 4 wheels across the back, because that is where the work gets done. A properly designed 4x2 tractor with a rear weight bias, loaded R1 tires will perform just as well as a 4x4 and if it were to get stuck, you would have a chance of getting it unstuck without use of a large wrecker, something that is untrue of a 4x4 - when they are stuck they are REALLY stuck!

Now, for the same WEIGHT of tractor, a 4x4 will typically out perform a 4x2 in terms of tractive effort, which is why almost all "SCUTS & CUTS" are 4x4. I prefer a well designed but heavier tractor and 4x2, obviously.

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #22  
I don't understand all the passion for 4x4 tractors????

Probably because they allow you to do things easier than if you only have 2WD in many situations (note, I said many, not all).

Most every "loader" used by governments and in construction are 4x2s like the ford 555 etc, true many have a BH installed but that's another conversation. Based on comments, one might wonder how our fore-fathers ever managed w/o 4x4, it should be impossible :shrug:

Untrue. Most true "loaders" have 4wd. The 555 is a backhoe/loader, which is a different style machine, and every variation except for the earliest 555/555 Special was available with 4wd. I can't talk to the earliest loaders, but when started working in a quarry in 1987, all the wheel loaders were 4wd, and that hasn't changed.

4x4 adds weight were it is useless, over the front tires, the front is NOT the primary drive! It also adds to cost and additional maintenance requirements.

Also untrue. Having a certain amount of weight on the front axle helps when you have powered front wheels. It's actually possible to get in a situation where the rear tires are spinning, but the fronts are on dry/solid ground, and can pull you out because they're powered, and have enough weight on them to give useable traction.

A properly designed 4x2 tractor with a rear weight bias, loaded R1 tires will perform just as well as a 4x4 and if it were to get stuck, you would have a chance of getting it unstuck without use of a large wrecker, something that is untrue of a 4x4 - when they are stuck they are REALLY stuck!

If you have a properly designed 4x4 tractor with R1 tires, it will go places that a 4x2 tractor with R1s can't manage. To suggest otherwise is just silly. If you get a 4x4 tractor really stuck, it's a situation that would have also caused the 4x2 to be really stuck....the fact that the 4x4 tractor was able to go farther, deeper, etc before getting stuck just proves it has greater capability in bad conditions. All that means is you have to use your head, and stop before it gets really stuck, and you'll be able to get more done than if you were limited by a 4x2 machine.

Now, for the same WEIGHT of tractor, a 4x4 will typically out perform a 4x2 in terms of tractive effort, which is why almost all "SCUTS & CUTS" are 4x4. I prefer a well designed but heavier tractor and 4x2, obviously.

???? Like more weight isn't sometimes a negative? There are people that use their machines for a variety of tasks, some of which have weight limitations. People here have talked about bridges they need to cross, not wanting to tear up their lawn, not wanting to damage septic fields they have to cross etc. They can have a lighter machine, with FWD, and be able to do the tasks that would require a much heavier 2wd tractor, and in some cases, the 2wd tractor still wouldn't be able to do the job.

4wd is popular because it works! Look at any application that requires the most traction, on anything but really good surfaces, and the best vehicles for the job will be sending power to the front wheels.

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #23  
great post G-Man. I dont think I could have said it better.

To each his own. But from an operation and get-more-done standpoint, I dont think there is any negatives to a 4wd. It will win everytime.

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #24  
Gman nailed it. Why anyone would choose a 2wd over a 4wd on most any situation is beyond me. I would even take the leap that a 4wd tractor is safer because it allows you to work slower in touchy situations.

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #25  
I would even take the leap that a 4wd tractor is safer because it allows you to work slower in touchy situations.

And allows all for tires to help stop you when going on hills. Instead of just the two rears.

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #26  
And allows all for tires to help stop you when going on hills. Instead of just the two rears.

And anyone that ever slid down a hill with a 2wd tractor know exactly what that feels like..:shocked:

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #27  
I have 4x4 and never used it except to lubricate it. It's flat here.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #28  
I have ended up in some situations that I was really glad had 4wd to get me out and back home. It may not be needed 90% of the time but the other sure paid for itself...

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #29  
My Branson is the first 4x4 vehicle I ever purchased. Having had several 2wd tractors with loaders it is the only way to go. Other thing that put me onto them was pulling power vs hp. With 4 tires tugging you can pull a lot more and do work comparable to significantly higher hp 2wd.

Mark

/ 4x4 vs 2x4 #30  
In fairness, ModMech seemed to be speaking about industrial tractors, things that are much bigger and heavier than the compact tractors that most of us have. There's a big difference between my 5000 lb residential tractor, and a 12000 lb commercial loader.

With this 4x4 tractor, and my previous smaller 4x4 one ... I am in 4wd almost exclusively. I can keep it in 2wd if I'm just tooling around from one place to another, but if I'm doing any "work" with it, I switch to 4wd. It substantially increases grip, stability, and disturbs the ground LESS because there's less slip-spin for the rears.

For a CUT, 4x4 is a no-brainer.