Which Sub-Compact Tractor?

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #1  

Bergy

Tractor
Cub Cadet
I am debating between the John Deere X738/739 and the Kubota BX 1870. Looking for recommendations. I will be mainly using it for blowing snow and mowing lawn. I may use a tiller as well. I have never had a Diesel engine so the smell, etc. is a concern.

Any advice appreciated.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #2  
They are both terrific tractors, class leading for sure. I'd probably give the lawn finesse nod to the JD X7xx because of the superior 7 iron deck available (I believe) but would give the "tractorish" nod to the BX. The available loader for the BX plus the better price on a similarly equipped honest matchup, diesel to diesel, both equipped with 3 pt and rear PTO, etc, would also likely to give the nod to BX. The BX would have a superior 3 pt geometry in my view. The BX would also have ROPS while the X7xx would not. That can be taken as a good news/bad news scenario, depending on how you feel about ROPS. In short, they really are not a precise matchup nor directly marketed against each other. One is arguably the world's finest lawn/garden tractor while the other is the market's smallest sub-compact tractor.

Check them both out thoroughly and get a vibe for the dealer and take your pick. Either is a "no miss" choice.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #3  
A more direct comparison would be between the Deere 1023/1025 and the Kubota BX, which are both sub-compact tractors. The Deere X models are garden tractors, and not quite as capable as the subcompacts.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #4  
Ones a tractor and ones a mower

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #5  
Don't worry about the smell...modern diesels like that will only give you a puff of smoke on startup, and nothing afterwards, with essentially no odor. I can run my diesel tractors for hours, walk into the house and my wife doesn't notice anything. Even a few minutes running my gasoline powered mower and she notices the "gas smell" when I come inside.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #6  
I would go for the kubota 100%, The x700 plastic is a strong plastic but plastic still scares me and would rather have a metal tractor, Kubota BX1870 comes with rear pto, 3pt hitch 4wd and diesel while still cheeper than deeres x710 (2wd gas)....

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #7  
Like previously stated, the X series is a garden tractor but the BX is a sub-compact utility tractor. By the time you option a JD X series to have a rear pto and 3 pt hitch your at the price of a 1023e / 1025r.

I seriously looked at the Kubota but in the end went JD. The prices were within just a few hundred dollars but with the Deere there is an actual hydraulic fluid cooler which was very important to me.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #8  
Don't worry about the smell...modern diesels give you a puff of smoke on startup but nothing afterwards, with essentially no odor.

Absolutely true. We are paying more for EPA mandated clean, modern diesel engines however diesel smoke and odor are things of the past.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #9  
The X739 is gas, but has both 4WD and AWS. If you have a lot of obstacles to mow around the AWS is the cat's meow. And no ROPs is good if you have a lot of small ornamental trees to mow under. The X-series is the best mower and most agile snow mover, whether pushing or blowing snow. And John Deere's engineering: ease of use attachments, etc. is second to none.

The BX's are more tractor-like, and a better value if 3 point implements are heavily used and the mowing situation is more wide open. The BX's give you better loader options too. Though I'm of the opinion few of the subcuts lift enough weight high enough to be an effective loader machine. But, if all you want to do is move around a little mulch and a rare small load of earth or gravel, they are fine for that.

I just bought an X739 that will replace my 425AWS (similar 20 year old JD GT). I love that I can plow snow sideways and still have steering using the rear wheels with the AWS. I've pushed snows as deep as 18" before with no issues on the 425. Expect even better performance with the 4WD X739. I mow about 1.5 acres in about 1.5 hours with many, many obstacles to mow around (30+ trees and shrubs, tight dead end alcoves, flower beds, fence angles, gates, etc). When finished, there is no need for a weed eater because the AWS cuts so close. It's a real time saver for me. May not be much difference if cutting mostly open spaces. Unfortunately, you cannot get both 4WD and AWS in diesel (unless buying a used X749) anymore.

If you use a lot of 3 point implements, or a loader, the BX is the better choice. If you have tight quarters where mowing, snow removal, lawn cart use are your predominant chores, then the X-series is the way to go.

And a diesel is not a must. The Kawasaki gassers in the JD's are very durable and more than enough power. I also like that you don't have to wait as long to warm up a gasser before use (JD claims you don't have to wait at all). A cold diesel can take 10 minutes or more before it is warm enough to apply heavy loading safely. If there are a lot of short restarts, I think the gasser is better suited to this. The gasser is also much quieter at idle, though little difference at full rpms.

/ Which Sub-Compact Tractor? #10  
The 7-iron deck was only available in a 60" cut, and is no longer offered. JD now has a "better" deck offered in 48, 54, and 60" cuts. I haven't used mine yet, but the new deck is impressively built. The pan is the deepest I have ever seen and of very heavy gauge steel. I also like the drive on/off feature. It makes installation/removal easier. I'm not sold on the autoconnect thing. I guess it is helpful, if getting down there to connect/disconnect the drive shaft is a challenge.

On the plastic thing. I don't know. My 425 is going on 20 years and has plastic hood, grill, and side panels. None of them have broken or cracked. Though you sure do see a lot of them that have. I think this says that they won't take to abuse like metal would (of course not). However, they will never rust or dent on you either. The hood and cowling are the X-series are the only plastic parts of significance. Though the one-piece hood, I'm not such a fan of. Prefer the old, 4-part design of my 425 (I could just be partial to what I know). The battery looks to be harder to get to with the new hood design as well. The removable intake screen across the front of the cowling seems fragile. Though it just may seem that way. Time will tell.