Comparison New Compact Tractor Purchase

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #1  

kcflhrc

Veteran Member
Tractor
2013 John Deere 3032E
I'm sure the subject has been beaten to death but here goes anyway. We are looking for a Compact Tractor. My wife and I just bought a place with 10 acres. The house sits on about 4 acres with highway frontage and the rest is fenced pasture with a couple of out buildings and a small dried up livestock pond. I have a 50" Zero Turn Toro for mowing. Part of the highway frontage and all the pasture has been put up in hay by the neighbor for years and I will probably continue to have that done by him. So my tractor requirements are primarily a toy. I would want a front end loader, brush hog, and a blade. I have been considering the Mahindra MAX 28HST and the Kioti CK2510. Wasn't sure what Kubota model to look at. I can get the Mahindra with loader for $16,500 and the Kioti for $15,200. I do realize their is 3 HP difference in the 2 machines. I have Mahindra and Kubota dealers close by, Kioti dealer is a ways away. Any recommendations? Please be kind, I'm a tractor virgin. :laughing:

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #2  
I would go to the k_ubota dealer and see what he has to offer that is comparable to the two models you cited...then I would test drive all three (or more) and see which one is the most comfortable and ergonomic for your uses...

first advice for loader work is "keep it low and slow"....for rear blade (etc. i.e., grading of any kind) work on anything but flat level surfaces...do yourself a favor and get Top & Tilt hydraulics for the 3PH...

Good Luck...

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase
Thanks Pine, keeping my options open. Not in a big hurry. I was just quoted $19,699 for a Kioti CK35 HST with loader, 60" brush hog and 60" blade. That seems like a screaming deal but I'm still going to look around.

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #4  
Try a BX-25D What a toy or tool it is.

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #5  
Seeing that you have a zero turn for mowing........I would look at the "B" series Kubota

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #6  
Have to tractor come to you..be comfortable.
What are the dealerships track records..pros & cons you heard.
All 3 tractor makes are fine,when it comes to it go w/your gut feeling.

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #7  
Mahindra, Kioti and Kubota the only dealerships near you? What about Massey Ferguson, New Holland, LS.

If you're not in a hurry take your time and try them all. Took me over a year to trial everything I was interested in, some a few times. Once the decision was made though no regrets.

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #8  
I am possibly the worst guy to give advice since I have 11 acres and own a 70 HP LS tractor and a B26 Kubota TLB + 2 zero turn lawnmowers but I do help my brother in law managed the other 31 acres of our adjoining property. Having said that, with only 4 acres of actual land to maintain (you said the rest was hayed by neighbor) then likely all you need for a toy is a BX series Kubota or similar sized tractor by just about any brand other than Chinese made. I still have little faith in them. Maybe a SCUT with a backhoe for doing a little digging when needed. I wouldn't think you would need anything bigger. I have done quite a bit of tree clearing and dirt moving with my LS but mostly now it is just a little disking each fall in the pasture for winter seeding as mostly I use the Kubota B26 for everything else. Surprisingly I have over 300 hours on the B26 compared to 100 on the LS and I have had the LS a year longer. The little backhoe gets worked out for removing rocks (they grow every winter here), digging trees and stumps, clearing out thickets of unwanted trees and brush, clearing grown up fence lines, putting in water lines, sprinklers and even planting yard plants and trees for the wife. I cant see how I got by without it and with each passing year of age, it becomes more valuable to me. My shovels are rusty and my wheelbarrow hasn't been moved in 3 years.

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase #9  
My shovels are rusty and my wheelbarrow hasn't been moved in 3 years.

Wheelbarrow hasn't moved, keck that's because you have a FEL (x2)! Isn't that the proper replacement for a wheelbarrow!

/ New Compact Tractor Purchase
Thanks for the info guys, I will definitely do my home work. Seems all 3 manufacturers I mentioned are pretty good machines, the Kubota getting most of the praise. However, it all comes down to value. Never been brand loyal when it comes to anything, be it mowers, motorcycles, cars, trucks or what. I buy what I like and is a good value. This whole tractor quest is new territory for me though. After moving 8 yards of dirt this fall with shovels and wheel barrows I definitely see a tractor in my future. Anyone want to buy a slightly used 2011 Harley Road King Classic? I find my priorities have shifted after the move from Yuppyville to the country. Any thoughts on the CK35 HST with loader, brush hog and blade for $19,699???