Buying Advice Getting ready to buy a new tractor

/ Getting ready to buy a new tractor #1  

smitesmash

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 650 (sold) Kubota L45
I am getting ready to buy a new tractor. I am leaning towards a Kubota L4060HST. Although for my needs, the Kubota L45 might be something I could use. As mostly I will be working on construction and related projects, and have no current plans to do any sort of agricultural work

After years of asking a too small tractor do too much, I am very much looking forward of being able to choose what I want to get with this tractor

I am asking to get a front loader, root rake and grapple, and backhoe. That being on top of the box-blade and chipper that I already have (the box-blade will need to be replaced in due time.)

Is there anything that I should be looking at or for with this purchase?

/ Getting ready to buy a new tractor #2  
About the only thing not standard on a Grand L is a horn. Stebel Nautilus, from Italy, is the aftermarket horn of choice. Available on Amazon.com

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300216&page=3&p=3602366#post3602366

Consider Kubota's Heavy Duty Round Back Bucket (L2296 for L4060) in lieu of the standard bucket.

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ota+Heavy+Duty+Round+Bucket&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Industrial tires, R4s, would be good for construction work.

When you replace the conventional Box Blade consider a Rollover Box Blade.

Would a tractor boom pole save your back at times?

LANDSCAPE BOX-ROLLOVER 3 POSITION | A&B Eagleline Farm Equipment

Tractor Boom Pole, Rear Crane, 3 Point Hitch Mounted

Last edited:
   / Getting ready to buy a new tractor #3  
I wouldn't buy the root rake, or grapple from a dealer....their implement prices are usually very high compared with what you can get elsewhere.

/ Getting ready to buy a new tractor
Jeff9366-
A horn is an interesting thought. I'll be back in the woods, so I doubt that I'll really need it for anything, but I can imagine that it could be handy every once in a while

the bucket was something I'd already thought of. there was a discussion several years ago about beefy buckets and chain hoists. since the very first thing I'd done with my JD was bent the top of the bucket, it still stands out in my mind.

I'd spent some time talking about the tires. the R1 have better traction and better ground clearance, but the R4s would be more stable due to the ground clearance, and make less mud. if I go with the L45, I won't have a choice. and at this time that is what I'm leaning towards.

I have never seen a rollover blade like that. that is very cool. they seem to be a little more light duty that the box blade, but if I have the rake/grapple, that might not be an issue. I will definitely think about that.
however right now there is a lands pride 6' BB on craigslist. since its more than half of what new would cost, and still better price than EA (before shipping) I think that I'll have to check into that one.

the boom pole looks very interesting. I'd seen one a while ago, but was always thinking that my JD would not be able to lift all that much, and what I lifting I needed to do I did with the FEL and a big chain.

GBartMan-
thanks. good advice.
Based on a grapple shootout on TBN recently, One of the things that was mentioned was that the L-shaped grapple seemed to be more all purpose. Based on that, and the general good approvals from EA on this forum, I gave them a call today. It turns out that there is about a $1000 difference between the dealer and EA, (taking into account dealer fees, taxes, and delivery charges)

/ Getting ready to buy a new tractor #5  
GBartMan-
thanks. good advice.
Based on a grapple shootout on TBN recently, One of the things that was mentioned was that the L-shaped grapple seemed to be more all purpose. Based on that, and the general good approvals from EA on this forum, I gave them a call today. It turns out that there is about a $1000 difference between the dealer and EA, (taking into account dealer fees, taxes, and delivery charges)

I don't own one (yet), but the EA grapple is pretty impressive, especially when you factor price into the equation. I just ordered a 6-way scrape blade from them a recently, and can't wait to try it out :)

/ Getting ready to buy a new tractor #6  
I am getting ready to buy a new tractor. I am leaning towards a Kubota L4060HST. Although for my needs, the Kubota L45 might be something I could use. As mostly I will be working on construction and related projects, and have no current plans to do any sort of agricultural work

After years of asking a too small tractor do too much, I am very much looking forward of being able to choose what I want to get with this tractor

I am asking to get a front loader, root rake and grapple, and backhoe. That being on top of the box-blade and chipper that I already have (the box-blade will need to be replaced in due time.)

Is there anything that I should be looking at or for with this purchase?

Based on your uses, I think a dedicated TLB like the L45, L48, or M59 would suit you better. The L4060 is not a construction machine, and will have less lift capacity, weigh less, and also be less capable. Since your doing mostly construction related jobs, I think you'd be better off with something meant for that type of work.