Buying Advice LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025

/ LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025 #1  

Canuck07

Tractor
MF 165, TYM 723, JD1025r TLB, Branson 2515H TLB
Hello tractor experts,
I am looking to add a tractor to the shed and would like to hear of some first hand experience with a couple of these models. So an outline of what I will be expecting out of this new little guy.

Started out I wanted a LS 3033 for chores around the farm and bring it to my house for blowing snow in the winter (so it must fit in my garage 6.5' clearance) as they are a pretty good price. Now its list of duties are growing the more I think about it. I'd also like to put in hay for horses and cows (round 5x5 bales 1200-1500 lbs), also hay tedding and raking, picking up round bales loading the hay trailer as well as pulling it in and putting them away. So I'm looking at a minimum the LS 3038 but I'm not sure as it is quite light (only weighs in at 2600lbs) and its lift capacity is 1900lbs, dealer says it will handle this stuff.

The Mahindra 3535 is the one I'm leaning towards as it weighs in at 4100lbs and has a lift capacity of 2400lbs. But just to confuse things I've read the 4025 is pretty much the same price as the 3535, you lose the shuttle shift but gain in the weight and lift capacity (4950 lbs and 2866 lbs) as well as a little more power, could probably run the square baler as well if I felt like being out of a cab. I'm confident the 4025 would do everything I want it to and more but I would really like the shuttle especially for loading and unloading hay, question is anyone out there have some experience with either the LS 3038 or Mahindra 3535 in similar applications of lifting 1200-1500lbs? Below are what I've got for prices so far (same dealer for LS and Mahindra), also these are Canadian prices.

LS 3038 4x4 FEL $23500

Mahindra 3535 4x4 FEL $25900

Mahindra 4025 4x4 FEL, No price yet but by Mahindra's website and what I've read the 3535 and 4025 are the same price.

Also - I have looked at JD and Kubota but they are more money and weigh in around the LS

/ LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025 #2  
I haven't priced out those specific models BUT, in my experience they are all too high. Perhaps this is a canadian/conversion issue

I priced an LS R 4041 HST at several places and was always at 21,400 or so. 3038 should be around 17k us.
I priced a Mahindra 4035 HST and that one runs about 25k.

Again, don't know about the conversion but thats what I've gotten stateside.

/ LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025
Ya unfortunately with these tractors they seem to be quite a bit less in the US. Not sure if it is the fact that there is only the one dealer for Mahindra and LS in Atlantic Canada (same dealer) so they charge a bit more or what. I would save buying one across the border but then any warranty issues would be a pain. I find Mahindra isn`t that different in price and I don`t know if that is because they list their MSRP on their website or what but the LS there is quite a difference for sure.

/ LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025 #4  
A max lift capacity measure at the pivot pins of 1900 lbs will really strain with regularly handling 1500 lb bails. In fact, it may not lift a 1500 lb load that is out 2.5' from the pins. So regardless of brand (and I'm a Mahindra fan), if you are going to move 1500 lb bails regularly, get something that is rated at 2500 lbs minimum at the pins. Then ballast the rear tires and you can handle those loads with little drama. If you don't mind a simple sturdy tractor without many frills, the 4025-4wd is hard to beat. Simple on a tractor isn't a bad thing for most folks.

/ LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025
Thanks for the good advice Daves. I am having a hard time believing the dealer with him telling me the 3038 would handle the bales, especially when the old MF 165 gets light in the rear with some of the bales and it has loaded rears. The only thing that is keeping me from going with the 4025 without question is I would like the shuttle for the loading and unloading of the trailers. Even the 4035 isnt really any different in lifting capacity than the 3535. Maybe I should just take a nice (little wet) bale down to the dealer and have him show me ;)

/ LS 3038 - Mahindra 3535 - Mahindra 4025 #6  
Thanks for the good advice Daves. I am having a hard time believing the dealer with him telling me the 3038 would handle the bales, especially when the old MF 165 gets light in the rear with some of the bales and it has loaded rears. The only thing that is keeping me from going with the 4025 without question is I would like the shuttle for the loading and unloading of the trailers. Even the 4035 isnt really any different in lifting capacity than the 3535. Maybe I should just take a nice (little wet) bale down to the dealer and have him show me ;)

Choices for an open station Mahindra would be the models you listed, but also consider a 4035 in the HST or the power-shuttle. The normal clutch type shuttle is a little quicker than a standard gear model, but the HST and PST are a notch up from that. Another model is the 5010. It lifts a bunch and has a short turning radius. It for sure needs ballast though as the short wheelbase makes back wheelies all too easy to occur with big loads. Rim Guard adds 1300 lbs to the rear tires of a 4025 or 5010 and is needed. The 5010 ROPS is a regular gear transmission again, but with the shifter levers off to the side instead of right on top of the transmission like the 4025. I think the transmission choice is somewhat dependent on how often you will be loading and unloading trucks. If you spend a lot of time doing precise loader work, HST is my choice. If you are just stabbing bales occasionally to move around a field, that is a different matter.

And if you go LS, just step it up a size or two.