Buying Advice Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe

/ Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe #1  

1randy

Tractor
Looking to buy
Hello, I am looking to purchase an inexpensive older backhoe. I found I believe an early 70's Case 580B for $4900 obo. Are these good tractors? The price seems reasonable. Thanks, Randy

/ Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe #2  
Hard to say anything about an old hoe without more details. Old backhoes need a lot of love and even more maintenance and repairs, be prepared for that no matter the brand.

/ Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe #3  
The Case 580 series is a very popular model...
I would suspect that parts are still available and the machine is very capable...
Parts support for my dad's old IH 3616 is non-existent since IH construction has been out of business for sometime...
I think Komatsu purchased the IH construction division years ago...
If I was in the market for an older hoe the Case would be at the top of my list...
Things I would look for are leaks, leaks, and more leaks...
Check out the engine, hydraulic pumps, and look for excessive wear in the swing of the hoe...
These older machines are nice to have and can do a lot of work but do require lots of maintenance and can be a money pit if worn completely out...
5K is not an unreasonable price for a good serviceable machine...

/ Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe #4  
Also check to make sure everything works as it should. That the engine doesn't have alot of blowby. And the hoses are not all dry rotted to heck. The tire condition should also be factored because those rear tires are not cheap! IF you don't have a decent amount of tools (read more than a 3/8" socket set) Don't even bother. Your going to have to fix something eventually.

/ Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe #5  
$4900 would be as low as i've ever seen one . Dont expect much , could be a gasser , $7-8000 would be nearer the mark for a diesel with a cab that you could use .

/ Looking to buy inexpensive older backhoe
Thanks all for the replies. I didn't act fast enough and it sold. Will keep looking!