Comparison Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference #1  

TSO

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey 1652 HST Cab
What's the difference in the two versions of the 9TL loader? There's the rounded version, and the more angled version. At first I thought the rounded version were newer, but I really can't tell because the "year" of the machine depends on the date of sale.

And ... is there any operational difference between the two? I can't find anything showing different specs.

7339469.jpg

bobcat-tractor-loader-backhoe-ct450-50hp-28500-mt-cobb_29542769.jpg

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference #2  
Top picture loader was built by Bobcat, the bottom one was built by Rhino for Bobcat. Other than the gussets where the bucket cylinders connect there isn't much difference. Other difference on the Bobcat built also has Bobcat built cylinders. The Bobcat built was standard with a 68" bucket & Rhino was 72". bobcat bucket is 4" narrower but weighs 12 lbs. more.

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference
Top picture loader was built by Bobcat, the bottom one was built by Rhino for Bobcat. Other than the gussets where the bucket cylinders connect there isn't much difference. Other difference on the Bobcat built also has Bobcat built cylinders. The Bobcat built was standard with a 68" bucket & Rhino was 72". bobcat bucket is 4" narrower but weighs 12 lbs. more.

Ok Thx. Is there any operational or quality difference between the two that makes one better? Are they both being used at the same time? I've seen tractors labeled as 2010 or 2012 model years... or even as "New" with both loader types...

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference #4  
Keep in mind a loader is an optional attachment. Bobcat tractors built on any given date may have been mated with a loader built in an entirely different year. The original selling dealer would make the match and I would guess the dealer would use whatever Bobcat sourced loader he had available.

Some of the early Rhino designed and built loaders allegedly did not meet Bobcat corporate quality and performance standards. (I believe there are at least four loader models: 6TL; 7TL; 8TL; 9TL which are specific to different Bobcat tractor series). Therefore Bobcat stopped sourcing loaders from Rhino and designed in-house and built their own true Bobcat brand loaders for their tractor line.

With this in mind, many believe the loader shown in your top photo is the superior design. (This has been discussed and debated elsewhere on TBN)

Last edited:

With this in mind, many believe the loader shown in your top photo is the superior design. (This has been discussed and debated elsewhere on TBN)
Do you have that thread location by chance? I've tried to find info on it but couldn't...

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference #6  
Keep in mind a loader is an optional attachment. Bobcat tractors built on any given date may have been mated with a loader built in an entirely different year. The original selling dealer would make the match and I would guess the dealer would use whatever Bobcat sourced loader he had available.

Some of the early Rhino designed and built loaders allegedly did not meet Bobcat corporate quality and performance standards. (I believe there are at least four loader models: 6TL; 7TL; 8TL; 9TL which are specific to different Bobcat tractor series). Therefore Bobcat stopped sourcing loaders from Rhino and designed in-house and built their own true Bobcat brand loaders for their tractor line.

Reason for Bobcat building switching to and building their own loader was cost/profit related. At first with a minimal number of tractors coming through the supply channel and requirements to setup a manufacturing facility to build these loaders, it was more cost effective to purchase a loader from someone else that was already building a loader that would fit. After more population was out there and more loaders getting ordered, it became more cost effective to build their own. I have the older Rhino loader on mine, the only benefit I see between the 2 is Bobcat used less variance in pivot pin fit-up so less slop in the bucket, but mine is not that bad to start with. Bobcat also built their own cylinders for this loader so seal kits can be ordered easily from their central supplier.
Width, stance, length dimensions are all the same. Same Bobtach (SSQA) fits both loaders, and same mounting frame dimensions are used so you could actually detach a Rhino loader and hook-up a Bobcat loader with no changes required. I do think the Bobcat loader frame is stronger than the Rhino, but there were no structural flaws in design that made Bobcat decide to build it themselves.

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference #7  
Per a comment read elsewhere on TBN, the New loader's "cross tube now fully penetrates both boom arms which is better structurally".

Also "at the time of the loader switch Bobcat dealers were supplied with documents that shows (and explains) the differences".

When the switch occurred, the local full line Bobcat dealer was very pleased with the change. Perhaps only because the loader was now a "true Bobcat loader" that was more like what he already knew and liked?

well the Bobcat one does look beefier. but it also looks heavier, and I have to wonder if that changes the overall lift capacity? I would think that if the hydraulics are the same, the heavier built loader would have less maximum lift capacity

/ Bobcat 9TL loader new vs old ... anyone know the difference #9  

my 7tl loader is on a 2010 bobcat ct235 i need new tilt hydraulic cy where can i get them and bobcat just gives me the run a round