Buying Advice Buying a tractor in Panama

/ Buying a tractor in Panama #1  

Heading South

Tractor
Craftsman YT3000
We have 55 acres in Panama that we are looking to build a house on and also light farming (few horses, rice) Looking to to a compact tractor that I can have a backhoe, front loader, and mower for. Any recommendations from overseas folks on where to start?

/ Buying a tractor in Panama #2  
According to your acreage and what you are planing to do, I would look at a mid class tractor, not at a compact one.
And :welcome: to :tractor:ByNet

/ Buying a tractor in Panama #3  
Find out what brands most others in the area are using. Good way to meet the neighbors, too.

And BTW, I hate you for living my dream :)

And welcome!

/ Buying a tractor in Panama #4  
Find out what brands most others in the area are using. Good way to meet the neighbors, too.

Excellent advice. You want to find reputable dealers and insure that you can obtain parts and service as needed.

Steve

/ Buying a tractor in Panama #5  
Central America is quite limited to tractor dealers the same as the rest of central America and is from what I've seen there the brands are limited compared to here. We have shipped equipment virtually around the world but we leave all shipping arrangements to the new owner.
There very well be duties for you to pay and it is a good idea to find a company in Panama to handle the shipping as if there are issues they would know how to deal with the Panama government.

/ Buying a tractor in Panama #6  
Central America is quite limited to tractor dealers the same as the rest of central America and is from what I've seen there the brands are limited compared to here. We have shipped equipment virtually around the world but we leave all shipping arrangements to the new owner.
There very well be duties for you to pay and it is a good idea to find a company in Panama to handle the shipping as if there are issues they would know how to deal with the Panama government.

Hi art and smstonypoint,

And a belated "Welcome!" to the OP! :)

Panama City has been suggested as a destination, for one wishing to live elsewhere, and tractors are something I would be interested in being involved in, as a possible business venture, of some sort (vague ideas only, at this point).

But art, your obviously-sound advice re: shipping/duties, and smstonypoint's advice re: local brand preferences and parts availability, ring very true to me.

Do either of you, the OP, or anyone else, have suggestions as to how one might educate themselves re: the equipment needs in places like Panama, and/or Panama City, in particular?

I am considering a rental business model, and/or possibly a used equipment sales model (both small-scale, only).

Recommendations of any publications for those considering moving to Panama, and making a living there, would be most welcome, too! :)

I would also, of course, be very interested in any "nightmare" stories re: potential pitfalls of such a venture.

Thanks, in advance!

My Hoe